walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

sgurr nan gillean

sgurr nan gillean

Postby Stef » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi There,

I am coming up to Skye in mid July and want to climb the above with my girlfirend. We are both young (28!) and fit. I have read that this can be a difficult/dangerous scramble to the top. Could you please provide me with some first hand experience ?? An help is much appreciated, Thanks, Stef
Stef

Sgurr nan Gillean

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:34 pm

Hi there

Sgurr nan Gillean is one of the harder Cuillin summits to reach.

It is a very rough walk but fairly straightforward for anyone with experience of hillwalking (unless it is misty, in which case the route is very hard to find) until about the last couple of hundred metres of the ascent. The final section offers a choice of some fairly awkward scrambling moves in the centre of the ridge, or scrambling up the more broken rocks on the left side of the ridge above a bigger drop :shock: ; the bad news is that you have to come back down the same way. After that there is one narrow bit of ridge which is usually negotiated by shuffling on your bum; it isn't true to say the ridge is narrow all the way. Obviously it is very difficult to say how someone would find this without knowing them - it really depends on how you react to heights, as in technical terms the route is easy.

If unsure, you could hire a guide for the day; then you could abseil down the west ridge and perhaps climb Am Basteir as well. Or you could climb some of the easier peaks such as Bruach na Frithe or Sgurr na Banachdich first and see how you go. Sgurr nan Gillean is much harder than either of these peaks, and quite a bit harder than most of the others.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion