walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

how much is too much?

Re: how much is too much?

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:54 am

zoecameron wrote:I don't know if any of you have watched the Highland Emergency programme on Channel 5?

I have a fear of needing their help and the rescuers thinking I'm not prepared enough. I remember one episode where some numpty on the Ben Nevis tourist path, in full winter conditions, had slipped because he got bored going down the zig zag path at the top and just went straight down the hillside. It was dark when they picked him up, and he was wearing a t-shirt and a thin jacket, no hat and unbelievably, no socks. The crew couldn't believe it.
If I ever need their help, I want to at least look I know what I'm doing

No socks! :lol: Not even one? :lol: But yeah, I know exactly what you mean... you don't want listing in the Mountain Rescue Book (unnamed) as being unprepared!
mountain coward

Postby Milesy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:15 pm

HighlandSC wrote:Nobody seems to have mentioned a torch....

I'd pack what you'd reasonably LIKE to have if all goes to plan, and what you NEED to survive 24 hours more than planned on any route, or at the very least give yourself a chance of retreat in darkness if safe enough. Sometimes I carry next to nothing. Other times I carry first aid, foil blanket and bothy bag amongst other stuff. Like others, I also do a lot solo which can lead to going overkill on things, but better safe than sorry.

Not in the summer. It summer it never really gets dark enough that I cant find my way without one. Even not directly in the summer you would be amazed at how your eyes adapt to the light. I only carry a head torch in winter and even then if there is snow it is very easy to see where you are going with low light, especially with stars or the moon.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Milesy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:17 pm

zoecameron wrote:I don't know if any of you have watched the Highland Emergency programme on Channel 5?

I have a fear of needing their help and the rescuers thinking I'm not prepared enough.

Conversely. I have seen folk on that program getting rescued looking like they were just involved in an explosion at Tiso covered head to toe in all the best gear. Money does not buy common sense or experience :D
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby magicdin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:31 pm

is a torch not also about being seen (to perhaps guide MRT to your location) as well as seeing in the dark ?
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:22

Postby Milesy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Well I have a whistle and I have an emergency light stick for that purpose which weighs a lot less than the lighest headtorch :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby magicdin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Milesy wrote:Well I have a whistle and I have an emergency light stick for that purpose which weighs a lot less than the lighest headtorch :)

ah well you'll be alright then :)
I think I'll keep carrying my wee Black Diamond which weighs next to nothing :D
magicdin
Rambler

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Oh yeah - I forgot - I have an emergency lightstick too... :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Milesy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:08 pm

They also come in handy for a summit rave.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby magicdin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:20 pm

I also have one of these ancient retro humongous petzl thingies - but then I'm an old fogie :D

no doubt somebody will be on soon saying "Davy Lamp "
magicdin
Rambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:25 pm

Milesy wrote:They also come in handy for a summit rave.

You can also split a lightstick open and smear the luminous gunk over the dog, who then wanders around at night scaring the bejesus out of fellow campers, with hilarious results. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not that I would do such a thing, of course... :shock:
p.s. best to just smear it over his head, so as to present a horrible "Pantom Hound ~ Head" floating apparently disembodied around the highlands in the gloaming. :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:27 pm

:lol: I can see there are soon gonna be lots of luminous hounds roaming the Highlands! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby magicdin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yorkshire terrier ? - great dane ? - might make a difference
magicdin
Rambler

Postby Tradoch » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:16 pm

magicdin wrote:is a torch not also about being seen (to perhaps guide MRT to your location) as well as seeing in the dark ?

Do that with your phone. Take photos using the flash. Amazing how far away you're visible from.
Tradoch
Stravaiging

Munros:23   

Postby Matthew C » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:23 pm

I've an old Sony Ericson phone (5 -6 years old) nice feature which has not been used the in-built torch can be switched to a rep sycle of S.O.S :)
Matthew C
Mountain Walker

Munros:177   Corbetts:13
Grahams:3   Donalds:7

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:42 pm

But I would think that, if it's an old phone (like my 9 year old one) the battery wouldn't last long at all - unless you've changed it? And mine doesn't have a camera...
mountain coward

PreviousNext

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to General discussion