walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

perhaps an inappropriate ? but...

Re: perhaps an inappropriate ? but...

Postby CharlesT » Tue May 19, 2015 9:57 am

I thought the proper term for a bagpipe player was a misanthropic sadist and isn't golf always inappropriate - as someone once observed a good walk ruined - a pastime for those with appalling dress sense looking for a wipe clean countryside. :wink:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby EileanB » Tue May 19, 2015 11:02 am

I think they are just called pipers, but that maybe a highlands thing. Once in Scotland I don't think you will have much trouble hearing one. They are better out of doors, and can almost be nice at a distance. I remember once thinking a pipe band sounded quite good when they were on a boat about half a mile off shore. It is a bit different if you are actually on the same boat.....
EileanB
Walker

Postby StevieC » Tue May 19, 2015 1:18 pm

Walk down Buchanan St in Glasgow on a Saturday afternoon (or whatever the equivalent is in Edinburgh :wink: ) and you're almost certain to hear plenty of bagpiping...
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Sgurr » Tue May 19, 2015 2:23 pm

EileanB wrote:I think they are just called pipers, but that maybe a highlands thing. Once in Scotland I don't think you will have much trouble hearing one. They are better out of doors, and can almost be nice at a distance. I remember once thinking a pipe band sounded quite good when they were on a boat about half a mile off shore. It is a bit different if you are actually on the same boat.....

I had 6 years of going to school concerts to hear son (piano) where the first item was always the school pipe band INSIDE. I think they have to be VERY far away to enjoy. Their use in warfare gives the game away: they are supposed to be terrifying
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mband » Tue May 19, 2015 2:46 pm

http://www.pitlochry.org/whats_on/pitlochry-highland-nights.htm

Pitlochry on Mondays. Many may scoff as "only for tourists" but you'll certainly hear the pipes there.
:)
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Postby CharlesT » Tue May 19, 2015 3:57 pm

mband wrote:http://www.pitlochry.org/whats_on/pitlochry-highland-nights.htm

Pitlochry on Mondays. Many may scoff as "only for tourists" but you'll certainly hear the pipes there.
:)

Another reason to be thankful for the Pitlochry by-pass. :lol:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby malky_c » Tue May 19, 2015 4:58 pm

When I lived in the centre of Dundee as a student, I was subjected to someone busking under my window most Saturday and Sunday mornings when I had a ferocious hangover. Horrible din, never liked it :lol: . You shouldn't have any problem finding buskers in most town centres. There's always a guy in one of the carparks halfway up Glencoe as well.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby 4shotB » Tue May 19, 2015 11:52 pm

Sgurr wrote:
EileanB wrote:I think they are just called pipers, but that maybe a highlands thing. Once in Scotland I don't think you will have much trouble hearing one. They are better out of doors, and can almost be nice at a distance. I remember once thinking a pipe band sounded quite good when they were on a boat about half a mile off shore. It is a bit different if you are actually on the same boat.....

I had 6 years of going to school concerts to hear son (piano) where the first item was always the school pipe band INSIDE. I think they have to be VERY far away to enjoy. Their use in warfare gives the game away: they are supposed to be terrifying

well, I have been doing a bit of research on this beautiful instrument. turns out, "Scotland the Brave" is my second favorite song (behind only the aforementioned Amazing Grace) on the bagpipes.. If i hear it over there (especially after a dram or two of the whisky), I may try to enlist in the Scottish military. Especially if they will throw in a kilt as a signing bonus. Do they take foreigners over the age of 50?? :wink:

I am surprised that anyone would not like the sound (assuming they are not played before breakfast and/or the listener is not hungover).
4shotB
Scrambler

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion