walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glenshee 6 - hiding a bike

Glenshee 6 - hiding a bike

Postby Dunfie » Sun May 10, 2015 1:34 pm

Has anyone walked the east Glenshee hills and left a bike at the bottom to save having to walk back up the road to the car? Are there good places to leave the bike?
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Re: Glenshee 6 - hiding a bike

Postby jupe1407 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:30 pm

There's not much in the way of tree cover i'm afraid. Anne and I walked it last July, starting at the northern end. I had to jog back to the start point for the car as she could hardly walk after it :lol:

If i was to do it again, I'd park at Carn an Tuirc end then walk the 2 and a bit miles to the Creag Leacach end. It's far better out of the way at the start than the end.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby prog99 » Sun May 10, 2015 3:06 pm

I locked mine up at the car park below Carn an Tuirc a few years ago.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Fudgie » Sun May 10, 2015 3:30 pm

I parked at the ski centre and did the round from there by walking down the road in the direction of Carn an Tuirc. Once I had finished on Creag Leacach I then retraced my steps before traversing Glas Maol (there's a path which you can follow) and using the tracks which go down next to the ski lifts to take me back to the ski centre. It removed the need for a bike and kept the road walking to a minimum.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Dunfie » Sun May 10, 2015 6:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think the option of parking at ski centre works best for me. Just hoping for a decent day over the next couple of weeks and I'll give it a go.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Postby Wanderlust7 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Dunfie I done these six recently and parked at the southern car park to be at the last hill and managed to get a lift from a friendly local, they are easy with little height lost, but not the most exciting walking only the last hill is any good looking, but the weather for me was amazing and I had a great day, a wee bit of hard work up Carn an Turic and the rest is a good stroll. Save it for a good day.
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue May 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Fudgie wrote:I parked at the ski centre and did the round from there by walking down the road in the direction of Carn an Tuirc. Once I had finished on Creag Leacach I then retraced my steps before traversing Glas Maol (there's a path which you can follow) and using the tracks which go down next to the ski lifts to take me back to the ski centre. It removed the need for a bike and kept the road walking to a minimum.

This.

The route as described in the walk descrition is mental unless you have two cars, dropping all that height only to have to climb it again.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion