walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

RAF buzzing crummock water

RAF buzzing crummock water

Postby Circles » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:31 pm

Was going for a quick stroll up rannerdale Knotts today when an RAF jet came flying thru just above crummock water...I was only at 288m and yet it was below me and thrilling to watch it do a sharp left turn and continue before flying over honnister pass
But too damn quick for the camera...keen to know if this is a regular occurrence/others have seen it or whether this was one lad who must have watched dambusters on movies4men earlier in the day
Anyone else seen this in the past?
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Re: RAF buzzing crummock water

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:33 pm

They do a lot of low level training round there. Another good spot is the south side of Cadair Idris in Wales - (I think there's even a website for this spot, it's very popular with photographers), and anywhere in the Ogwen valley in Snowdonia. I remember watching a hawk trainer fly through the pass between Tryfan and Bristly Ridge, and then shortly afterwards two Hercules came screaming through the valley at only a couple of hundred feet.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Came zipping across to the north of the north Harris hills the other day. Don't think we were any higher than you were as we were walking up Beinn Tuath on Lewis,, and yet one was lower.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:51 pm

gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:27 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:BobMcBob think you mean this http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=low ... 00337EA3B3

Yep that's it :) The pilots are so aware of it they even roll their wings to give the photographers a better look.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:25 am

I had an unforgettable experience on the Aonich Beag ridge (near Ben Alder) the pilot came right over the ridge - I could actually look him in the eye.. two of his mates were in the glens either side. I was just at the bit between the two corries and it was spectacular spectacle :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Roobarbthedog » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:09 pm

I saw a few RAF planes over Crummock water back in 2012 when hiking up Mellbreak. Managed to get a photo which I can post if I figure out how to do it!
Roobarbthedog
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:1

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:37 pm

Arrrr, I remembers a Zeppelin over the Cairngorms once, back in '39...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby CharlesT » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:06 pm

Lots of good sightings to be had from the hills around Ullswater I recall. My own "up close and personal" experience was while descending from Helvellyn via Striding Edge. I'd reached the "hole in the wall" when a fighter jet went directly over my head at less than 100 feet banked right and went back down to the lake - I could see all the panels and rivets on the underside. Didn't hear him coming at all, but the noise as he passed over was deafening. Great thrill and a seriously tit-withering moment all in one. :D

One of my nephews was a navigator in those things, but he denied all knowledge. :wink:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:09 pm

Thanks for that link Gammy...wow !!

I had a close encounter :lol: walking along the coast at St Bees Head. The path was a few yards inland from the cliff top and two harriers came in from the sea, but not visible to me. I didn't hear them either as per usual the sound doesn't reach you till after. They must have pulled up just before the cliff so the first I knew was when they were going over me.
I feel to the ground in surprise/shock, needless to say a change of underwear was required jeeez !! :shock: :shock:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby mgmt! » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:51 pm

love seeing low flying jets , was once above one on the ridge of Creag nan Gabhar, the jet had came over the cairnwell and flew below us in Glen Clunie
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby malky_c » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:27 pm

BobMcBob wrote:I remember watching a hawk trainer fly through the pass between Tryfan and Bristly Ridge, and then shortly afterwards two Hercules came screaming through the valley at only a couple of hundred feet.

Not seen them going between Tryfan and Bristly Ridge, but they can put the s.hits up you when you are climbing on the Milestone Buttress. Even though it's really low down on Tryfan, you are usually still above them!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion