walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ghostbusters

Re: Ghostbusters

Postby Csm8 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:47 pm

Not so much spooked but I remember a feeling of being on another planet on Ben Avon and Beinn a' Bhurid. Perhaps it was just the long walk in from the south coupled with the fact of seeing no one all day, I felt very alone and isolated. The weather was good with almost zero wind, total silence... but very cold on the plateau and there was a huge grey cloud so low I felt I could almost touch it. It was surreal and I feel as though I may as well have been on the moon. I guess the featureless tundra like terrain adds to the feeling of desolation. Found the secret bothy though.
Csm8
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:42
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:13

Postby LaurenAlexandraAgain » Tue May 14, 2019 8:35 am

I walked Hadrian’s Wall a couple weeks ago, and the area around Sycamore Gap frankly gave me the creeps. I’m sure the fact that I hardly saw a soul on what is supposed to be the most popular section of the wall had something to do with it...but the sycamore tree itself just looked like it didn’t belong there. There was a “wrongness” about it that I couldn’t shake.

I also had Sewingshields Crag to myself that day, which again felt wrong since it’s supposed to be a popular stretch. I didn’t feel like I was being followed exactly, but I did feel like there was something that urgently wanted me to keep moving. I “noped” along til I got off the crag and immediately felt much better!
LaurenAlexandraAgain
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:22

Postby GregGilmour97 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:26 am

tentpeg wrote:
teaandpies wrote:ABSOLUTELY CRAZY.

I am honestly putting a chapter in my report about how I felt like I was being followed yesterday on Beinn Ime. I also thought I was hearing voices.

I was up there on the first May bank holiday weekend and was bringing up the rear of a group of 6 as we headed up the southern slope. I kept stopping and looking back expecting to see someone behind me, but nobody was there. Didn't feel menacing, just like another member of the party who was trailing behind.

I wonder if it's something to do with the acoustics of the Bealach à Mhaim.

Apparently Beinn Ìme is haunted after all by an old man in a suit and bowler hat rushing to catch a train! :shock:

10:22 - https://youtu.be/O4zd2wYSZhA?si=Gk5kkMG9rMJBxjIB
GregGilmour97
Mountain Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:56 am

LaurenAlexandraAgain wrote:I walked Hadrian’s Wall a couple weeks ago, and the area around Sycamore Gap frankly gave me the creeps. I’m sure the fact that I hardly saw a soul on what is supposed to be the most popular section of the wall had something to do with it...but the sycamore tree itself just looked like it didn’t belong there. There was a “wrongness” about it that I couldn’t shake.

You haven't been back with a chainsaw to "put things right", have you? :shock:

sycamore-gap.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Senja » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:02 pm

I was trying to get up Beinn Fhada, Kintail during a typical spell of weather. I had to turn back just before the turn for the zigzags as I was told not to cross the streams.
Senja

Munros:132   Corbetts:27
Fionas:189   Donalds:58
Sub 2000:479   Hewitts:298
Wainwrights:97   Islands:64

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:19 pm

Senja wrote:I was trying to get up Beinn Fhada, Kintail during a typical spell of weather. I had to turn back just before the turn for the zigzags as I was told not to cross the streams.

I got that reference... :shock:

images.jpg
Ghostbusters - Don't cross the streams!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby matt_outandabout » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:00 pm

Senja wrote:I was trying to get up Beinn Fhada, Kintail during a typical spell of weather. I had to turn back just before the turn for the zigzags as I was told not to cross the streams.

*applauds*

I have always avoided Bod an Deamhain, concerned over what may be seen. :shock:
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby Senja » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:54 pm

...and suffered disappointment on Sgùrr na Ciche.
Senja

Munros:132   Corbetts:27
Fionas:189   Donalds:58
Sub 2000:479   Hewitts:298
Wainwrights:97   Islands:64

Postby GregGilmour97 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:54 am

The only other strange experience was on A' Bhuidheanach Bheag when at the trig point, could see a man in a blue jacket coming towards us that was heading down the dip just before it rose back up to the summit, so we packed up after having lunch at the top so he could have it all to himself. As we got closer to the dip found it strange he hadn't appeared yet until we got full view of it and was nowhere to be seen! :shock:
GregGilmour97
Mountain Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alex W » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:05 pm

I get the sensation of someone following me in the hills quite often. Most of my walking in the hills is solo and it is sometimes unnerving. When it happens I check as best I can that it's not really someone following me and then I just have to tell myself forcibly that it's some kind of echo or atmospherics amplifying my own sounds.

Sometimes on overnighters it's more of a feeling of being very small in a huge landscape. But that's just an appraisal of your own circumstances, nothing supernatural.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:12 pm

Alex W wrote:Sometimes on overnighters it's more of a feeling of being very small in a huge landscape. But that's just an appraisal of your own circumstances, nothing supernatural.

I've had that feeling numerous times. It's a great feeling. As for being followed in the hills, I've never felt that, unless of course when I was actually being followed by a fellow human being! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion