walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Knne Injuries

Re: Knne Injuries

Postby prog99 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:57 am

Good news.
(We walked back to our cars on the Drumochter 4 a while ago and had a bit of a natter)

My friend who had a hip op a year and a bit ago is climbing the same grades as he did before the op if you want out of context encouragements.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:38 am

prog99 wrote:Good news.
(We walked back to our cars on the Drumochter 4 a while ago and had a bit of a natter)

My friend who had a hip op a year and a bit ago is climbing the same grades as he did before the op if you want out of context encouragements.

Yeah i remember that, in fact I think it was after that walk that my knee first noticeably swelled up. Needless to say i did sod all about it until the following March :lol:

All encouragement is welcome, even the Registrar i spoke to before the Op expected me to be walking normally again within 2-3 weeks and on the hills again within 8.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:09 pm

jupe1407 wrote:All encouragement is welcome, even the Registrar i spoke to before the Op expected me to be walking normally again within 2-3 weeks and on the hills again within 8.

:)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby hooter2014 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:04 pm

Glad it seems to have went well. I'm intrigued about the FB picture though :-|
I'm now 5 weeks and guess the "bend" is within a couple of degrees of the other leg and can manage ok at the gym, nothing overly strenuous, but certainly normal exercise is fine.
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:00 am

hooter2014 wrote:Glad it seems to have went well. I'm intrigued about the FB picture though :-|
I'm now 5 weeks and guess the "bend" is within a couple of degrees of the other leg and can manage ok at the gym, nothing overly strenuous, but certainly normal exercise is fine.

WARNING: BELOW PICTURE ISNAE NICE!

DSC_0064.JPG

Looks a lot worse than it is tbh. I had a bit of blood loss through the hole from which the "debris" was removed, firstly in hospital, where it was a full on mini-fountain (which needless to say resulted in my getting pretty queasy and needing some anti-sickness pills), then literally the minute i got home. Changed the dressings though and got them redone at the local Minor Injuries place today. I couldn't put any weight on it at all on Monday, and am now managing mostly without the stick, and doing the physio exercises which massively help.

It's twice the size of my "normal" knee, but i expect that to reduce over the next few days.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby hooter2014 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:45 pm

Aah gotcha. I was quite lucky, nowt like that for me!
hooter2014
Walker

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:51 pm

hooter2014 wrote:Aah gotcha. I was quite lucky, nowt like that for me!

Lucky you :lol:

It's fine now, I can walk pretty much without a stick and put weight on it and I'm beginning to get decent flex in it. Also quite pleased that it's stopped p***ing out blood :lol:

I've just got some tape, three wee plasters over the holes and a single suture to be removed sometime next week.

I'm pretty happy with progress so far.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby hooter2014 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:57 pm

Good good, onward and upwards, in the not too distant future that is :wink:

I guess everyone is different, but you may be surprised how quickly (hopefully) you get a good degree of bend back in it. I would guess I could manage a hill at the moment, all be it not a biggie! I'm kinda having to hold myself back a bit, planning on getting out on my bike next week, could have been this week but got stuff going on in the house, oh and work!
hooter2014
Walker

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:44 pm

hooter2014 wrote:Good good, onward and upwards, in the not too distant future that is :wink:

I guess everyone is different, but you may be surprised how quickly (hopefully) you get a good degree of bend back in it. I would guess I could manage a hill at the moment, all be it not a biggie! I'm kinda having to hold myself back a bit, planning on getting out on my bike next week, could have been this week but got stuff going on in the house, oh and work!

Yeah, I'm 9 days in now and progressing quite well. Managed the 3.5 mile walk round Crombie Park on Sunday. Don't need the walking stick now and can manage stairs with only very minor discomfort. Get the stitches out tomorrow, then it's just a case of waiting for the swelling to go down and ramping up the physio exercises.

Which brings me to my second query ... I'll probably want to wear a knee support for my first few walks certainly, can anyone recommend a really good one? I got a velcro one off Amazon last year but i had to stop every 15 minutes to readjust the bloody thing :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:14 am

Don't know about the support but I will say... physio, physio, physio! Whatever exercises you've been told to do, do them. At the start of this year I ruined my back lifting a lawnmower, which was not great as I work as a gardener. I couldn't move, my doctor wasn't even certain I'd be able to carry on my profession. I was taking huge does of Tramadol just to go to the shops and was, because of that, unable to function as human being.

I visited a sports physio (privately, I may add... I'm a big NHS fan but my GP wouldn't refer me, for whatever reason) and started doing the exercises he gave me, religiously, 7 days a week. 2 months later I'm back at work, no pain, no apparent bad effects, as if nothing had happened. The physio also gave me exercises to work on my knee that has given me gyp for years. That hasn't bothered me recently either.

If it's weak, strengthen it. If it hurts, it's probably weak.... Pretty simple, really.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby peter tindal » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:02 am

Out of the hospital after a mosaicplasty and a general tidy up. Manage to put weight on it pretty quickly but Mrs T is making sure I sit with my leg up and doing my exercises.

Got a target of July to be back in the hills to add to my very slowly increasing munro count.

Pete
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby helenw » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Good news Pete - good luck with the recovery and the sheer boredom of the exercises, keep at it.
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby hooter2014 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:23 pm

Well jupe 1407 and pete tindal, as I've said previously and I'm sure you both know anyway that everyone is different, 8 weeks after my op I got back in the hills. Over 2 days in the Lakes I climbed about 800m of ascent and descent with probably 6 miles or so of distance. Nothing massive to begin with, (it may have been more on the first day had the other half not twisted her knee!! same bloody one as me) but there hasn't seemed to be any reaction since which is the main thing.
It is by no means 100% yet, but getting better all the time. I only hope the same applies for you both, if not sooner :)
hooter2014
Walker

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:44 am

hooter2014 wrote:Well jupe 1407 and pete tindal, as I've said previously and I'm sure you both know anyway that everyone is different, 8 weeks after my op I got back in the hills. Over 2 days in the Lakes I climbed about 800m of ascent and descent with probably 6 miles or so of distance. Nothing massive to begin with, (it may have been more on the first day had the other half not twisted her knee!! same bloody one as me) but there hasn't seemed to be any reaction since which is the main thing.
It is by no means 100% yet, but getting better all the time. I only hope the same applies for you both, if not sooner :)

That's great news :D

I'm 4 weeks in now, and able to walk low-level stuff of 3-5 miles. I was given an 8 week timescale by my Consultant to return to the hills as well. The exercises given to me by Physio at the hospital have really helped, and I've got another physio appointment on Friday to see how things are progressing, and look into other strengthening exercises.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby peter tindal » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:26 pm

Sounds like a good target 8 weeks. That will be two weeks on Wednesday and I got the stitches out today. Can walk without much of a limp so progress is quick so far. My plan was to be back on the hills by July. Think I will be easily up before then.
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion