walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glen Affric car parking

Glen Affric car parking

Postby Tony One » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to do the 3 munros behind Alltbeithe Youth Hostel leaving the car at the car park at the end of the public road in Glen Affric. I've no objection to paying for car parking, but can anyone please tell me if it is OK to leave the car there for a couple of nights and what are the arrangements for paying.

Any help appreciated.
Tony
Tony One
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:208
Donalds:7
Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:45   

Re: Glen Affric car parking

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:17 pm

I seem to remember that the machines only allowed up to "all day", which was a couple of quid valid in any of the valley's chargeable car parks, and that there was no facility for overnight parking charge collection (they probably don't want to encourage overnight parking for vans and stuff). They were also cash only. On a 3 night canoeing trip we did, we parked by the Loch Beinn a' Mheadhoin dam, which didn't have any charging, but would add a lot to your walk in!

Didn't pay for parking at Chisholme bridge, which was in March on a day walk. Just a normal rough Scottish layby.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mmm_biscuit » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:45 pm

We were up that way for a long weekend in May. Our late-ish arrival meant we were short of time to hunt for an alternative spot, so we (somewhat grudgingly) purchased 3 all-day tickets at £2 per day, and laid them all out on the dash (there was no multi-day option). Also - the machine claimed to take credit cards but was only accepting coins when we visited, so stock up on metal money. On the plus side, paying means you get guilt free use of the toilets!

Mal Grey's correct that the large layby at Chisholme Bridge is free (it's about a mile up the road) - tbh if we'd had the time we'd likely have headed back there.
mmm_biscuit
Mountain Walker

Munros:275   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby IamAJMiller » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:53 pm

Tony One wrote:Hi,

I'm looking to do the 3 munros behind Alltbeithe Youth Hostel leaving the car at the car park at the end of the public road in Glen Affric. I've no objection to paying for car parking, but can anyone please tell me if it is OK to leave the car there for a couple of nights and what are the arrangements for paying.

Any help appreciated.
Tony

We did exactly this last year. Having no option for multi-day tickets we bought one and hoped it would be ok for the next day. It was, no one had checked. Also this year we parked there for a single day walk and forgot (I promise this is true!) to buy a ticket. When we got back again, no one had checked. I'd think two tickets bought on the same day would cover you.
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby cmarcol » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:46 am

These car parks rely on honesty. I used this carpark in May and the Linn of Dee one is the same. It is £2 PER DAY and I don't like putting multiple tickets in the car as car break ins are very common in these type of places. Having 3 tickets in your window tells a thief you aren't back for a few days. Plus you may cut your trip short. Mar Lodge say 'an estimated 10% of users do not pay.' And Affric will be similar. I always pay when I get back. They rely on honesty and IMO that's honest.
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:58 pm

Linn of Dee is National Trust for Scotland. Not sure, but I think Glen Affric may be too.

If you join the National Trust or NT for Scotland you get a car sticker that allows you to park for free in all their car parks, as well as getting free entry to all their stately homes and gardens etc. Comes in handy for parking at Linn of Dee for overnight camping trips, plus it's a good cause.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:06 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:Linn of Dee is National Trust for Scotland. Not sure, but I think Glen Affric may be too.

If you join the National Trust or NT for Scotland you get a car sticker that allows you to park for free in all their car parks, as well as getting free entry to all their stately homes and gardens etc. Comes in handy for parking at Linn of Dee for overnight camping trips, plus it's a good cause.

Good tip, but Affric is Forestry Commission I'm afraid; http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/visit/river-affric
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Tony One » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:55 pm

Thanks guys, hope to be going there in early September. Thanks again.
Tony One
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:208
Donalds:7
Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:45   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion