walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hillwalking clubs

Hillwalking clubs

Postby 9queens » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:19 am

Reluctant as I am to have anyone else set my schedule let me just put this out there:

Most of the friends I used to walk with are-
1. Rarely available
2. Lost fitness levels
3. Lost enthusiasm

Am considering joining a club but no nothing about any: except that someone at work goes with a police group and gets a lot from it

advice please
9queens
Munro compleatist

Munros:244   Corbetts:54
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Hillwalking clubs

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:25 am

The Mountaineering Council of Scotland has a listing of clubs which are affiliated to it, including walking and climbing. You should be able to find any affiliated clubs in your area and can contact them to ask any questions. Most clubs are only too happy to speak to prospective new members. http://www.mcofs.org.uk/clubs-list.asp
Of course not all clubs are affiliated to the MCofS, so there may be suggestions on here, and it may be worth checking out your local paper/library etc.
I've been in a club (The Braes o' Fife) for years and had many great days with them, not to mention finding a wife! :shock:
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby 9queens » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:38 am

Thanks for that link Cairngormwalker, will check it out
9queens
Munro compleatist

Postby mband » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:09 pm

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3231

This topic lists a lot of clubs, not all associated with MCoS. I'm a member of the Perth Hillwalking Club and guests and new members are always welcome :) You can get the web link from the above topic or search Perth Hillwalking Club

When I first joined the club I had very little hill experience and it was a great way to learn from others and I've also met friends who I now walk with at other times as well as on the club walks.

I guess clubs will vary in their style but we put on a bus oince a month with 4 or 5 different walks of varying levels. Having the bus means that we can do linear walks and so don't have to return to the same start point. On Sunday we had a very hot walk from Glen Nevis to the ski centre a couple of groups going up to the half way lochan on the Ben Nevis track and down to the ski centre with 2 other groups going over Aonach Beag and Aonach Mor.

I found everyone very friendly and welcoming when I first joined and I'm sure other clubs are as well.
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Postby 9queens » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:50 pm

checked out the list and will get in touch with my local club- they have a lot of good looking activities judging by their website
9queens
Munro compleatist

Postby Joshm » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:00 am

Cairngormwanderer wrote:The Mountaineering Council of Scotland has a listing of clubs which are affiliated to it, including walking and climbing. You should be able to find any affiliated clubs in your area and can contact them to ask any questions. Most clubs are only too happy to speak to prospective new members. http://www.mcofs.org.uk/clubs-list.asp
Of course not all clubs are affiliated to the MCofS, so there may be suggestions on here, and it may be worth checking out your local paper/library etc.
I've been in a club (The Braes o' Fife) for years and had many great days with them, not to mention finding a wife! :shock:

I looked at the Braes O' Fife site and it mentions a Monday at the Harbour bar. I'd be interested in popping along if I'd be welcome. Can you tell me when on a Monday night, and what town the bars in please?
Joshm
Mountaineer

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:43 am

Hi Josh, it's the Harbour Bar in Kirkcaldy, about 9pm. Have pm'ed you as well with more details. Be good to see you (or anyone else!) along there.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion