walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bikinng Mullach Clach a Bhlair

Bikinng Mullach Clach a Bhlair

Postby Eskimo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:10 pm

Guys, what like the track up to Mullach Clach a Bhlair? How far could get with the bike? Is it worth it?

Cheers
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Re: Bikinng Mullach Clach a Bhlair

Postby electricfly » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:31 pm

If you are a prolific MTB'er and your main aim is to get a good, tough bike workout, then it's a decent but hard track.

If you are a walker looking to make things easier by taking along your bike, then forget it. You won't gain any worthwhile time and the ascent will knacker most, but for hardened MTB regulars.
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Eskimo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:37 pm

Cheers buddy. Good info!
Eskimo

Postby PerthAlly » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:50 pm

Eskimo

I was up there yesterday and if you're planning to start at Achlean I don't think you'll manage to bike up. There are too many rocks and those lateral drains to bypass.

Ironically, once you make it to Carn Ban Mor things are way easier. Sgor Gaoith and MCaB sit on an undulating plateau. Solid underfoot and no obstacles to overcome.

Watch out for the cliff to the east. It's a long drop to the water :lol:
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Sub 2000:3   

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:38 pm

I keep reading this as 'bikini-ing', and wondering what on earth you're up to...
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Eskimo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:45 pm

Yea my bad with the typo there! Sorry to get your hopes up! :lol:

I'll probably leave the bike going by the comments. Run/ walk/ crawl/ cry looks like the way!
Eskimo

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:13 pm

The track from the River Feshie up to the summit is relentlessly steep and as electricfly said you would save little time if any on that section unless your a mad mountain biker. But if you are starting from Achlean and then following the River Feshie you will save time and effort There is probably half a k of flat tarmac then a good path for a few kilometres along side the river before the hard ascent. The climb was mostly pushing for me. Once youve made it to the summit this is where the bike really becomes an asset. With basic mountain bike skills you should cover the 10km from summit cairn to the carpark in under an hour fairly easily.
There are a couple of burns to cross that could be difficult in spate that you need to watch out for.
If from Auchlean you want to include the munro Sgor Gaoith as well as Mullach clach a Bhlair the bike would probably not be a big advantage as Perthally has already said.
Sunset tripper

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion