walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Aonach Eagach backwards

Aonach Eagach backwards

Postby JohnJoe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:33 pm

This summer I'm hoping to achieve what I've already failed to do twice - the Aonach Eagach ridge.

All the route descriptions I've read go from East to West, finishing at the Clachaig Inn, but we will be doing it the other way round. Would this present any difficulties - is it harder going from West to East? Or is E-W more popular just because you end up in the pub at the end?

Thanks!
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Aonach Eagach backwards

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:58 pm

Done it both ways a couple times and I think I prefer west to east. More up climbing that way, rather than walking up a slope and down climbing the far end (as with E-W).

Only real difference is that you are climbing down onto the pinnacles, which does feel a lot different in that direction and perhaps harder as you're down climbing the hardest move on the ridge.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby dav2930 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:22 pm

Good question. The two occasions I did AE were in winter and from E to W, so perhaps I'm not best qualified to comment on this, but I don't see any particular reason why a W to E traverse would be any more difficult than E to W. I seem to remember a tricky move going up one of the pinnacles, which might be even trickier coming down, but this 'trickyness' did involve crampon tips and ice-axe placements on verglassed rock, which hopefully won't apply to you in summer! Indeed a W to E traverse would have the advantage of tackling the Am Bodach scramble upwards, which would make it easier. The only logistical advantage of an E to W traverse is that your starting point is higher so you've less ascent to get to the ridge, but that's a negligible consideration. Either way, it's worth saving AE for a day of good weather!! Hope it'll be third time lucky for you. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:13 pm

Apart from the extra few hundred feet of height gain, your biggest problem is that you'll be meeting all the other walkers coming towards you, instead of going with the flow of traffic. You might have to squeeze past in some awkward places.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby magicdin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:08 am

Border Reiver wrote:Apart from the extra few hundred feet of height gain, your biggest problem is that you'll be meeting all the other walkers coming towards you, instead of going with the flow of traffic. You might have to squeeze past in some awkward places.

Found that when I went West to East - a lot of waiting for the groups to pass
Maybe going the wrong way round Ikea might give you an insight :wink:
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:54 am

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54355#p287580.

When I first read this headline I thought you were going to walk backwards :D
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:14 pm

From my admittedly vague memory of the AE:

Pros
- Not having a brutally steep initial ascent on Am Bodach
- Ascending Am Bodach from the ridge will be much better than down-scrambling it from it's summit

Cons
- Coming up the path to Sgor nam Fiannaidh will be longer and the last couple of hundred metres is annoying scree-type stuff
- The are a couple of pinnacles I can recall that will be trickier in descent then ascending E-W, plus you'll be downclimbing the wee chimney.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby JohnJoe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Thanks for the replies - really helpful.

I don't have any choice about the date so fingers crossed for the weather!
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Postby Wanderlust7 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:46 pm

I done this east to west two weeks ago and found the same issue and could not understand why everyone goes en masse westerly, however, the one thing I would say is save it for a really good day which would make an otherwise good day a great and memorable one.

The 360 views were great when I traversed the ridge, which I found much wider than expected and a bit easier too if I am honest. No mistaking there is exposure and it can take your breath away but only really in 2 brief sections. There is actually hardly any scrambling at all and I anticpated more. Stick to the rock at all times and avoid any bypass sections, you will see all the crampon marks when you sometimes loose the way and they will see you right.

I wanted to cycle back and it is downhill westbound, but it took me a quick blast of 30 of minutes and was fine. Also thought Am Bodach was a steady accent and did not stop until the minor top, if I done it again, I would still go east to west and would not want to down climb the Crazy Pinnacles. As someone said above the walk down the far end is pump and I for one would not want that crappy path. No one passed us on our trip at all and it was not until lunching on the second summit that we met a guy well into 60's maybe 75 tops going east and coming back, something he had done many times before.

Hope you have a good one, whichever route you take.
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby Soldier of fortune » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:54 pm

The views on a good day make the traverse from east to west the most rewarding, on a wild day though west to east is better. Both ways its a good day out have a good day.
Soldier of fortune
Stravaiging

Munros:43   Corbetts:6

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:13 am

gammy leg walker wrote:When I first read this headline I thought you were going to walk backwards

Aaaarrrr, I was goin' to say; it's dangerous enough up there, walking backwards is absolutely suicidal ! :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby electricfly » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:17 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:When I first read this headline I thought you were going to walk backwards

Aaaarrrr, I was goin' to say; it's dangerous enough up there, walking backwards is absolutely suicidal ! :shock:

Indeed!..

...Then I thought, the answer is Hcagae Hcanoa, surely? :wink:

:lol:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:11 pm

Indeed!..

...Then I thought, the answer is Hcagae Hcanoa, surely? :wink:

:lol:[/quote]

Dah ot daer siht erom naht ecno ot dnatsrednu..... :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:33 pm

No-one mentioned doing it both ways yet? This usually comes up at some point, and deals with the transport issues. Never done it myself - always gone east to west for reasons that I can't remember. Next plan is to do a circuit from Loch Leven incorporating Garbh Bheinn and the Pap.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dav2930 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:13 pm

malky_c wrote:No-one mentioned doing it both ways yet? This usually comes up at some point, and deals with the transport issues. Never done it myself - always gone east to west for reasons that I can't remember. Next plan is to do a circuit from Loch Leven incorporating Garbh Bheinn and the Pap.

Sounds a good plan. I've often wondered about doing the whole ridge from the Devil's Staircase, starting from Kinlochleven. If I ever do AE in summer, that's how I'd like to do it.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion