walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

CMD Arete for dogs?

CMD Arete for dogs?

Postby Bob the Dog » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:54 pm

Given that there have been fatalities on the CMD arete recently, I'm a wee bit concerned about accompanying my mum on this route. Took a tumble on the Horns of Alligin a month ago which knocked my confidence a bit, although I managed An Teallach the following day which was absolutely amazing. Even if I was on the lead.
So, if any other dogs have been on the CMD route to Nevis I'd appreciate your opinions.
Woof woof!!!
Bob the Dog
Munro compleatist

Munros:130   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Re: CMD Arete for dogs?

Postby electricfly » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:12 am

Nothing really all that bad. There are a few places where he may need pointing in the right direction, especially at the part where the ridge begins to rise to Nevis' shoulder. Any awkward bits can usually be passed by dropping off to the left of the ridge. :)

electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:30 am

I ve seen dogs on the CMD arete and it seemed fairly easy for them though they were using all the by pass paths on the left from CMD. The boulders on the crest near carn mor dearg would be pretty difficult for a dog but all the awkward sections can be bypassed. You need a dog that will walk to heel and stay close at all times if not you need a lead on. I personally wouldnt take a dog over the arete as mistakes could be costly also its a fairly long and rough route round the ridge and up to the ben. Having said that the dogs ive seen on the ridge didnt seem to have too much problem. Dont suppose this helps much :?
Sunset tripper

Postby Bob the Dog » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:52 am

Thanks folks, helpful opinions from you both :D
Bob the Dog
Munro compleatist

Postby KatTai » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:42 am

I'm interested in responses to this too, though probably not something I'd do with my current dog as she is nearly 11 now (her sister is now retired from hillwalking) but potentially something for a future dog when I have more experience myself, though this will of course depend on the dog and how well they cope with more challenging terrain.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby Bob the Dog » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:11 am

Will let you know how I get on once I've been - might even write a report...
Off to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin later today, a final blast before mum heads back to work next week!!!
Bob the Dog
Munro compleatist

Postby jamesb63 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:14 am

Bob the Dog wrote:Will let you know how I get on once I've been - might even write a report...
Off to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin later today, a final blast before mum heads back to work next week!!!

Keep us posted how it goes on CMD I walk everywhere with my Lab :D
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby kev_russ » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:29 pm

When you gawn Bob? I may be on it this sat weather permitting. If it's this sat and i see ya i'll give you a wee pat and a treat :wink: :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby golfpunk » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:13 pm

also planning on the ben via cmd this saturday so you'll get a wee ruffle from the wife and I aswell if we see you!
golfpunk
Mountaineer

Munros:24   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion