walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

First tic

First tic

Postby Have A Guid Yin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm having a wee panic to myself after finding a tic on my leg last night. My husband removed it for me using tweezers and pulling it straight out, however, it was squished on the way out, so we didn't get a very good look at it. It was really small, compared to the one we removed from my hubbys stomach last week but jeezo, it hurt when coming out and it's still a bit nippy now.
We returned from a camping holiday last Wednesday and I think we probably got these tic's when were were hiking in Glen Afric.
Anyhow, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that loads of you have had tics before and haven't gotten Lyme Disease. I don't want to make a fuss and go rushing to the doctors unless it's something I really should do. It takes about two weeks to get an appointment with our doc anyhow.
Should I call the doc's or just hang in there and wait and see if a rash appears or we start to feel ill?
Thanks in advance and apologise if I sound like a daftie for asking.
Have A Guid Yin
Bird-watcher

Re: First tic

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:55 pm

Not all tics have Lyme disease, I believe it's quite a small number but it's difficult to know an accurate percentage. If you are at all worried go to the doctor and he/she will give you some antibiotics. And finally get a tic-o-twister, we have removed countless from the dog with this little device without harming them ( before flushing down the loo as you simply can't squish the little blighters)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby dtr42 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:57 pm

had a few over the years ,yeah they hurt coming out ,had no reaction maybe just lucky ,keep an eye out for flu like symptoms and tiredness also a skin reaction around the bite site ,and most of all if in doubt see the quack that's what we pay them for
dtr42
Mountaineer

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:28 pm

I read a full sized poster on Lymes in the Labs at Raigmore Hospital, pretty complex, but the short answer seems that the most conclusive indication is the circular rash that would develop around the bite.

The tests it went into in some great detail but it suggested that the tests are mostly inconclusive i.e. a positive result can occur for any number of reasons but not necessarily Lymes....not much help I know, but as said the chances are small, and if you do feel unwell with the above symptoms then get it checked.

Unsure how soon the rash develops if it is.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby KatTai » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:49 pm

I've had a couple of ticks, no problems here and I'm in a supposedly high risk area. The dogs have picked up loads (Lyme also affects dogs) and they are fine too.

Agree with the above comment about the rick twister too, they are great things for removing ticks quickly and easily without any risk of leaving the head in. Leaving the head behind can cause an infection at the site where the tick attached so if you aren't sure if you got it all out keep a close eye on it.

Lyme is very hard to diagnose as it displays symptoms that can be attributed to other causes, I know in dogs it can be misdiagnosed as general aging or arthritis but I'm not so sure on humans! I did meet one guy and his dog both of whom ended up with Lyme disease, one only got diagnosed because the other did first! But overall while yes, it is a risk, you would be very unlucky to end up with it after one tick bite :)
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:21 am

The chances you've contracted anything are small, but do indeed keep an eye out for symptoms. Have a good read of this website; http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/

Doctors can be surprisingly unaware of the likelihood of Lyme disease, so you may have to pressure them a little if you're worried and have shown any symptoms. In some regions it still seems to be treated as highly unlikely, especially in the English home counties.

I carry an O'Tom Tick Twister in my first aid kit wherever I am in the countryside. They're so easy to use.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Have A Guid Yin » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks so much for all your replies.
I'm going to hold off going to the doc's unless a rash appears or we start to feel unwell. At least I know what symptoms to look out for now.
Thanks again, it's much appreciated.
Have A Guid Yin
Bird-watcher

Postby teaandpies » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:08 pm

My brother was on a wile goose chase with the mountain rescue a few weeks ago in the Nevis Range and they were searching an area of heavy with bracken. He said the ticks were so bad that they were uncountable.

Lyme disease is no joke.

https://www.lymedisease.org/avril-lyme-disease/
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Best removed with a tick twister thingy. If you use tweezers you squish the body and they can regurgitate contents of their stomach as they're pulled out, increasing the chance of infection. So I'm told anyway.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:17 pm

I was in the same kind of mind as you when I got my first tick bite. The doctor I saw said that there are blood tests but there's absolutely no point even doing one for a couple of weeks after being bitten, by which time you should have other symptoms anyway. Basically no need to panic, see the doc if you start to feel *extremely* lethargic or get flu symptoms or the rash develops around the bite.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby irishwasa » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:Best removed with a tick twister thingy. If you use tweezers you squish the body and they can regurgitate contents of their stomach as they're pulled out, increasing the chance of infection. So I'm told anyway.

That's how I understand it as well. I always carry the tic twisting stick :D
irishwasa
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:31 am

A downside of doing the sub 2000s is that a lot are trackless, so bashing through high vegetation at this time of year is standard. Most ticks in any year was 14. Last year husband got the characteristic circular rash round an old bite and our GPs are very clued up and put him on antibiotics. Possibly less lethargic than your average 75 year old...I'll just poke him to check.....Yes seems OK
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby basscadet » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:08 pm

Sgurr wrote:A downside of doing the sub 2000s is that a lot are trackless, so bashing through high vegetation at this time of year is standard. Most ticks in any year was 14. Last year husband got the characteristic circular rash round an old bite and our GPs are very clued up and put him on antibiotics. Possibly less lethargic than your average 75 year old...I'll just poke him to check.....Yes seems OK

14? really? That doesn't seem like many..
We have had a couple of torturous nights.. Up near Mam Barrisdale, we were invaded by an army, and we literally spent an hour pulling countless ticks off each other in the morning.. Another similar incident in Strathfarrar.. Fun times :roll: :lol:
I have been tested, and I have the antibodies, so either I have had it, or another suggestion they came up with is that it is the kind of antibody that would transfer in your mums milk, so maybe I have had these antibodies my whole life.. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean that I can never get Lymes disease, but it does mean that I can never be properly diagnosed with any certainty :?
If people are truly scared of getting Lymes, then they need an indoor hobby. Sure I might get it, but I fear a weekend at home with nothing to do a whole lot more :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:25 pm

basscadet wrote:If people are truly scared of getting Lymes, then they need an indoor hobby. Sure I might get it, but I fear a weekend at home with nothing to do a whole lot more :lol:

This is so true!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Old Bill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:47 pm

No such thing as a daft question! Only daft mistakes for not asking! :-)

I think getting Lyme disease from ticks is a risk but unlikely. Just like not all mosquitoes carry malaria or you won't necessarily get Weil's diesease if you fall in the canal.

I've had 4 ticks settle on me, and didn't have any special tool at the time so just carefully pulled them with my nails. They all came out alive and I don't remember it hurting very much. The midgie bites caused me much grief!

Anyways, bottom line is don't worry too much. BassCadet says it best!
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion