walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Access to Beinn a'Chochuill/Beinn Eunaich

Access to Beinn a'Chochuill/Beinn Eunaich

Postby tweedledog » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:25 am

The SW section of the B8077 from the electrical substation to the main road NE of Lochawe is to be closed from Monday August 17th for up to 6 weeks. This is the stretch that includes the parking places for those aiming to climb Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich, as well as the beginning of the Castles Estate track which is normally used to approach the hills. Information for local residents says that traffic management will be in place; what that means in practice remains to be seen, but it seems unlikely that people will be able to park at the side of what is anyway a rather narrow road. So expect problems if you come to do these two Munros. I presume that walking access will be possible so you could park at the entrance to Glen Strae and walk down the road. Or even climb Beinn Eunaich via Glen Strae, Lairig Dhoireanh, Meall Copagach and Eunaich's NE ridge which is anyway much more fun than the standard route (if somewhat longer).
I'll wander down the road next week to see how it looks and update this if there's anything to add.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Re: Access to Beinn a'Chochuill/Beinn Eunaich

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks for posting. useful info!
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby tweedledog » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:13 pm

UPDATE
As of Wednesday 19th it is still possible to access the normal parking places. There are works at the SW end of the B8077 with traffic lights, therefore best to avoid them by approaching from the Dalmally end of the road. Will report again when the works reach the parking places.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby JimboJim » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:17 pm

Thanks, Tweedledog. Useful info, even if am not likely to be heading that way right now, am sure others will be.

Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby dogjake » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks for the Info, I am currently preparing to climb these two tomorrow (Sunday) from the Dalmally end so will update if there are any problems.
dogjake
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:12   

Postby tweedledog » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Another UPDATE

The roadworks have now reached the customary parking place for access to the Castles Estate track to these hills. There is a usable space for a couple of cars midway between the mouth of Glen Strae and the start of the track. If that's full (as it was today) then there is space just inside the entrance to Glen Strae. You could also come at it now from the other end and park in the space where the B8077 joins the main road to Oban north of Lochawe.

The normal parking place has been dug up to lay the fibre and the soil replaced. But if they don't put something on top of that (hardcore, gravel, whatever) it's never going to be usable in wet conditions. We shall see. I'll report again if/when there's further change.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Kevin29035 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Many thanks for posting updates
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby tweedledog » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Yet another UPDATE

The customary parking place near the entrance to the Castles Estate track is now clear of works. They've put some rough gravel down on it; we'll have to see how that stands up to adverse weather. Mind you, it wasn't too good before they dug it up. If you want to avoid the traffic lights probably best now to approach from the Lochawe end of the B8077.

The parking place that I mentioned above, half-way between Glen Strae and Castles Estate, was clear of works today, but they will reach it this week sometime.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Holly » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:33 pm

Thanks for these updates but on a slightly different note but regarding the same hills. I have two dogs which I would obviously have under control and on leads. My question however is that on several reports there is mention of cows at the start. Could someone please advise if you have to go through the field where they are or is there a way to avoid them? Despite my dogs being on leads , I have to admit to being a bit of a woose when it comes to these guys and Im a bit feart of them!
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:241   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby tweedledog » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:43 pm

There weren't any yesterday other than well down in the glen. The ones on the Castles Estate route are generally very docile Highlands when they are there. I go through them regularly with my whippet, and though he's nervous they generally ignore us. The herd on the approach to the Dalmally Horseshoe can be a bit more bouncy but you should be fine on the Chochuill/ Eunaich route. I spend a lot of time on these hills and have never had trouble with them. I avoid them at calf time of course, but otherwise OK. Hope that helps.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Holly » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:45 am

Thanks very much. I have one very fearful one which is actually me! But thats a great help. I didn't want to go driving there, getting sorted for the walk and then no way to avoid them or detour out their way. Anyway,, Good to know too about the Dalmally Horseshoe also as that had been another walk I had on my list of to do's. Thanks again.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Postby tweedledog » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:17 pm

CATTLE WARNING, especially for Holly.

Today the entire Castles Estate herd has been moved across to the area at the foot of the track going up the flank of Beinn Eunaich. This happens every year around this time to wean the calves. However, it means that the cows, who can see the calves but not reach them, are currently bellowing unhappily at the tops of their not inconsiderable voices. This is an intimidating sound and a number of cattle are clustered close together. The cattleman has told me that they should be OK with people, but dogs might well be an issue with the cows being so disturbed. I have never tested this view (The Whippet, who is a fearty, wouldn't let me near them in this situation) and I certainly wouldn't be inclined to go through them with a dog right now. In the past the bellowing has gone on for a couple of days, and then they tend to spread out grazing in various parts of the glen.
On the plus side this means that the track giving access to the Dalmally Horseshoe is currently clear of cattle - I was up there earlier this evening - so if you are coming this way this weekend the Horseshoe would be an alternative walk. Incidentally, I should probably note that by Dalmally Horseshoe I mean the round of Coire Chreachainn which takes in Stob Garbh, the Munro Stob Diamh, and Sron an Isean. I note this because I have seen the Cruachan Horseshoe described as the Dalmally Horseshoe in reports on this site, but that one of course follows the ridge round Cruachan reservoir including Ben Cruachan itself and Stob Diamh.
There are, of course, alternative routes onto Chochuill/Eunaich, but they are largely across open and sometimes rough ground so will add to the time taken.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Holly » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks again for that. The forecast has taken a bit of a turn for the worst so my plans have changed anyway but your information is very much appreciated and I would definitely have gone somewhere else!
Holly
Munro compleatist

Postby tweedledog » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:36 am

FINAL Update

Apart from one or two spots things are pretty much back to normal on the B8077. No traffic lights (though the warning signs are still there) and the customary parking places accessible. Oh yes, and the cattle are spread out across the hills.

Over and out.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Kevin29035 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:18 am

Cheers :)
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion