walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Advice on good Munro for wild Camping

Advice on good Munro for wild Camping

Postby chadboehne » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:38 am

Hello,

American living in Fife here that is new to Munro bagging. I've been up a few Munros since I have been here and was wondering if anyone could provide advice on a pretty Munro that I can camp on. Looking for just a 1 night stay. I would like to take my dog as well but not a requirement. I have a good bit of experience from the Rockies and the Smokes in the US and am prior military, so I have some decent outdoor skill.

Thanks
chadboehne
Scrambler

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Advice on good Munro for wild Camping

Postby asbotastic » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi there,

I have camped on a good few munro bagging trips. Camping on the top can be difficult due to terrain and most of the time I find a place at the bottom to camp and walk up. - Glas Tulichean has a wee loch with about 4 munros around it to walk up. Ben Cruachan has a flat spot at the bottom end of the loch. Ben Lawers range has loads of space at the front of the dam.

However, if you want to camp right up the top the best place I;ve been is Lochnagar. There is the plateau with 5 munros around it. Up on the plateau there over looking the cliff is a wonderful place. You just need to watch the weather - and I mean the wind.... The thing about Scotland that makes the mountains dangerous is the changeable weather not the height or terrain really.

Consider bivy bagging it - not need to worry about getting those tent pegs in if it's a bit rocky.......did that on the Ring of Steall near Ben Nevis.

Enjoy!
asbotastic
Hill Bagger

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:10   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1

Postby berenos » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi,

I have wild camped on a bunch of hills in Scotland over the last few years, as photography is one of the reasons I'm up in the hills. Many hills will have enough near-flat space on or near the summit to pitch a small tent, though it may be boggy or very stoney. Suggestions and Munros I've camped on: Beinn Alligin or Beinn Eighe, An Teallach or A’ Mhaighdean just last week.

Cheers,

C
berenos
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby kaiserstein » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:19 pm

Only done it a couple of times. Its not at the very top but the bealach of Buachaille Etive Beag has a nice flat, grassy area to pitch and a pretty straightforward ascent.

Had an evening stroll up Stob Coire Raineach and a very early morning stroll up Stob Dubh. Great views and amazing experience. Should really do it more often.
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Postby alanhid90 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:16 pm

The Mamores offer some great high camp opportunities with some fantastic views of the Ben and the surrounding hills.
alanhid90
Munro compleatist

Munros:142   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Islands:18

Postby naepace » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:29 am

The other night I camped just a few metres off the summit of Ben Vrackie, not a Munro but a great hill none the less, and close enough to Fife.
naepace
Munro compleatist

Munros:124   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

Postby irishwasa » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:31 pm

10m below the summit of Stobh Coire Raineach. Not a big spot, but just flat enough to lie down :D
IMG_2902vsm.jpg
irishwasa
Mountaineer

Postby summerhill » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi there, what about the shelter stone area in the Cairngorm . I've seen the odd tent at the head of Loch Avon. The two Munros are Cairngorm itself along with Beinn Mheadhoin ( Vee-an )
Cheers
Colin
summerhill
Munro compleatist

Munros:276   

Postby berenos » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:08 am

Not a munro, as a top just next to Binnein Mor, but a recent summit camp on Sgor Eilde Beag in the Mamores
Attachments
COZpkiyW8AE2wB9.jpg
berenos
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby baja » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:56 am

Camped just off devils point. That was good spot
baja

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:08 am

summerhill wrote:Hi there, what about the shelter stone area in the Cairngorm . I've seen the odd tent at the head of Loch Avon. The two Munros are Cairngorm itself along with Beinn Mheadhoin ( Vee-an ) Cheers, Colin

I camped there one winter's night; the snow lay thick all about and my tent was pitched near a burn so I didn't have to go far for water. Over night the wind changed to a milder, strong gale from the South West. The snow melted, the burn rose and inundated the tent. It was a hairy escape, quite an epic retreat down Glen Derry where every burn had swollen from shallow streams I could splash through to raging torrents which would have killed me. I could hear large rocks being knocked together as they rolled down in the flood. I had to clamber away up the hillside each time I encountered a burn in spate in order to find an area where the burn was narrow enough to leap across. I guess the lessons learned were: 1. Check the weather forecast and behave accordingly. 2.Don't camp next to a burn in case it floods. 3. If there is a perfectly good shelter stone nearby, use it.
Skye waterfall.JPG
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Robinho08 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:36 pm

You can camp on or just off the summit on a lot of Murnos. For planning I use the 25k mapping on here (GPS on the blue menu bar above). Take a look at the contours and water sources. Geograph website is handy to gauge how rocky or flat the summit is.

A lot of the Cairngorms are great for wild camping, flat grassy tundra on the plateau, Ben Avon for example. Aonach Mor was a good summit camp as was the Grey Corries.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Ben Starav is good and has fine views. I didn't camp at the top, as I ran out of time before it got dark, but I noted some flattish grassy ground just below the summit which would have been ideal. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23276
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Ben Nachie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:27 pm

A bit of a drive, but I've camped just to the north of the summit of Ben Hope. Good views!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion