walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Through-Hiking the National Trail

Through-Hiking the National Trail

Postby ekdavis81 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:54 am

Hello!

I am at the beginning of organizing a thru-hike and wanted to see if others have done this, thoughts/tips, and what a rough estimate of the expense would be. I've done several multiple day backpacking trips but nothing as long as this. I'm planning a late April start.

Thanks!
Katie
ekdavis81
Scrambler

Re: Through-Hiking the National Trail

Postby irishwasa » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:01 pm

Which National Trail?
irishwasa
Mountaineer

Postby ekdavis81 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:10 pm

I am planning on the Scottish National Trail that runs from Kirk Yetholm to Cape Wrath.
ekdavis81
Scrambler

Postby Guinessman » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:11 am

Hi not done the SNT myself but have done the CWT which you will join onto. There's loads of information on the CWT on here. To get you started on a bit of research you could read this stage by stage account of the SNT to give you some idea of distances, times, accommodation etc

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38487

I'm going to do it myself probably in 2016 once I get the munros finished.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby ekdavis81 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Thank you, Guinnessman! I've read through the stage-by-stage section and agree that it's the best place to begin. I also ordered Scotland End to End and am eager to read it. This will be my first time traveling to Scotland so I thought this would be the very best way of seeing the country.

Katie
ekdavis81
Scrambler

Postby helenw » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:33 pm

You've probably seen it but Walkhighlands has a stage by stage guide to the Scottish National Trail with OS mapping which will give you an idea of timings etc. Costs will depend a lot on what you plan for accommodation, wild camping is possible for much of the later stages (and also some bothies - they are all mentioned in the route description) and some of the first ones, maybe budget £7.50 - £12 for campsite, £17-£20 for hostel and from £35 for B&B, pub meals around £10-15, takeaway fish and chips around £6 - have a great trip.
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby ekdavis81 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:25 pm

HelenW, this is very helpful! I very much appreciate the cost guide. I would like to wild camp most of the way but do plan on staying occasionally in a b&b or hostel. Thanks for the help!

Katie
ekdavis81
Scrambler

Postby MountainHare22 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:03 pm

My parents are doing it in sections and from their updates I gather they have found the book by Cameron McNeish is not always terribly accurate and while the route might look good on the map it doesn't translate so well in practice, which is something to be aware of. In some places there is no path full stop and it takes you across difficult terrain which means a short distance suddenly becomes very time consuming, also some of the river crossings might be tricky depending on what the weather has been like. Overall they have enjoyed it though - I hope you have a good walk.
MountainHare22
Mountaineer

Postby ekdavis81 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:19 am

Very good to know, MountainHare22. My brother backpacked the Pacific Crest Trail here in the states and he recommended that I carefully map out any section not clearly marked ahead of time and be aware of altitude changes. I appreciate the advice regarding the book!
ekdavis81
Scrambler

Postby JillR » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:21 am

Thank you for the info on this thread. Planning the same long hike starting in May and find the CWT a bit daunting. Good luck on your adventure.
JillR
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion