walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Sgor, Sgorr or Sgurr

Sgor, Sgorr or Sgurr

Postby berenos » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi all,

I recently got criticised for referring to the Pap of Glen Coe as Sgorr na Ciche, as this is how it's stated on the OS maps, and that it should be Sgurr. Other person: "and the rugged mountains are Sgurr not Sgorr. " Sgurr na Ciche however, is a different mountain in Knoydart, so using Sgurr na Ciche would lead to confusion I suppose.
I am not Scottish and don't speak any Gaelic, but I would like to prevent myself from misspelling Gaelic mountain names (and from mispronouncing them right, but not sure that'll ever happen).

So the question is: can Sgor, Sgorr and Sgurr (which I've all seen used) be used interchangeably, or should I stick to the names as written on OS maps.
berenos
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Sgor, Sgorr or Sgurr

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Dwelly (THE Gaelic dictionary ;) ) seems to think they're slightly different - but there are quite likely regional differences in pronunciation as well, so one person's sgurr might be another person's sgorr. I can't see that it makes a whole lot of difference!

sgòr -òir, -an, sm Sharp, steep hill rising by itself or a little, steep, precipitous height on another hill or mountain. 2 Peak, pinnacle. 3 Tail of a bank in the sea, concealed rock jutting into the sea. 4 Asperity.

sgorr -a, -an, see sgòr.

sgurr -a, -an, sm High, sharp-pointed hill. 2 Large conical hill (sgòr).
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby malky_c » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:29 pm

I think the one below is probably the definitive Gaelic spelling, if there is such a thing

nigheandonn wrote:sgòr -òir, -an, sm Sharp, steep hill rising by itself or a little, steep, precipitous height on another hill or mountain. 2 Peak, pinnacle. 3 Tail of a bank in the sea, concealed rock jutting into the sea. 4 Asperity.

The others mentioned would perhaps be English corruptions of that. Obviously the OS has in the past been very variable with the spelling, but it looks like they are now trying to standardise it (see recent editions of the Western Isles sheets. I am now noticing this creep onto mainland sheets as well).

I'm not certain here. Perhaps Colla or another Gaelic speaker can clarify? I'm not sure if Gaelic traditionally had standard spelling, although I'm sure someone has tried to rationalise it a bit now.

Who was doing the criticising? A little bit of knowledge can sometimes be dangerous!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby berenos » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Thanks very much malky_c and nigheandonn, that's been really helpful.

I got criticised on my Facebook page where I share mountain photos. And I would like to claim I take correct spelling as seriously as I do with my photography, so I would definitely want to get the spelling right. The person commenting sounded like she had (some) knowledge of the Gaelic language. But it's hard to judge as it was a) done online and b) anyone could have fooled me, as I was just blindly copying the spelling from here on WH or OS maps..
berenos
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Trying to standardise Gaelic spelling usually seems to end in tears - there's never really been a national written standard (unless back in the days of the Lords of the Isles?), so there's a lot of attachment to local forms.

I think it's a good thing if the OS are trying to get rid of some of the genuinely anglicised spellings (although some of them, like Ben Lomond and Ben Nevis, just are the names now), but I'd be sorry to see them getting rid of the local variation in the Gaelic names rather than letting you see what people in that area would have said.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Kevin29035 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:42 pm

Gaelic spelling is entirely standardised - it follows the rules to the dot. But there are massive regional dialects, a lot of which is being lost to time. Names like Ben Nevis, Beinn a' Chreachain will probably never become entirely clear, but I like to see the OS are correcting their mistakes in the spelling.

Though in their latest revisions, I find it odd that in the Western Isles, anglicised spellings are taken over the Gaelic, which seems odd as the Isles are very much Gaelic-speaking.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:34 pm

It becomes even more weird when people who have no understanding of Gaelic names try to turn them into English. For example I've heard the Aonach Eagach of Glen Coe being called the Aonach Eagach Ridge - which if translated fully into English would, I believe be The Notched Ridge Ridge.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Sgurr » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:41 pm

nigheandonn wrote:Dwelly (THE Gaelic dictionary ;) ) seems to think they're slightly different - but there are quite likely regional differences in pronunciation as well, so one person's sgurr might be another person's sgorr. I can't see that it makes a whole lot of difference!

sgòr -òir, -an, sm Sharp, steep hill rising by itself or a little, steep, precipitous height on another hill or mountain. 2 Peak, pinnacle. 3 Tail of a bank in the sea, concealed rock jutting into the sea. 4 Asperity.

sgorr -a, -an, see sgòr.

sgurr -a, -an, sm High, sharp-pointed hill. 2 Large conical hill (sgòr).

I'm easy, as long as people don't try to pronounce my name with a mouth full of oat cakes.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Kevin29035 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Border Reiver wrote:It becomes even more weird when people who have no understanding of Gaelic names try to turn them into English. For example I've heard the Aonach Eagach of Glen Coe being called the Aonach Eagach Ridge - which if translated fully into English would, I believe be The Notched Ridge Ridge.

To me that's not weird because they don't know the Gaelic - and why not. If they did, however.... :-)
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby CharlesT » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Border Reiver wrote:It becomes even more weird when people who have no understanding of Gaelic names try to turn them into English. For example I've heard the Aonach Eagach of Glen Coe being called the Aonach Eagach Ridge - which if translated fully into English would, I believe be The Notched Ridge Ridge.

That's not reserved to the English. All the Knockhills in Scotland are Hillhill, knock being derived from the gaelic cnoc (hill).
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby IamAJMiller » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Kevin29035 wrote:

To me that's not weird because they don't know the Gaelic - and why not. If they did, however.... :-)

Oh yeah! I do know the translation as well but I've referred to it many times as the AE ridge; never really thought about it before. Is this like calling the code that goes with you debit card a 'PIN Number'? Personal Identification Number Number?!
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:34
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby malky_c » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Kevin29035 wrote:Though in their latest revisions, I find it odd that in the Western Isles, anglicised spellings are taken over the Gaelic, which seems odd as the Isles are very much Gaelic-speaking.

Is that happening? The first and second edition Landranger maps (up until the early '90s, perhaps) had the anglicised spellings of Western Isles placenames on them, but after that they went all out Gaelic. Are they going back again?
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:21 pm

I wouldn't really trust dwellys for much. It's an interesting piece of research and history but there is lots weird, wonderful and plain wrong in it.

Whilst it is true to say Gaelic has standard spelling conventions they only relate to what is being said. Therefore if the Deeside Gaels pronounced it Sgor and the Sgitheanach pronounced it Sgurr then that's how they would write it.

Without a central education system or a guuttenberg/Caxton equivalent Gaelic was not really standardised until Bòrd na Gaidhlig came along. Even then their standardisation is not universally adopted.

I would guess the reason anglicisation happens in the western isles is that it is a living language there. Therefore it is subject to influence and fashion of all other living languages.

It is learners and academics who would shun the English words and want to learn "proper" Gaelic.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:41 pm

Its well deserved, like New York New York so good they named it twice :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:33 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:

Its well deserved, like New York New York so good they named it twice :D

There are a lot of those tautologies around, such as Fair Aird Head, translating as "headland headland headland", just in Norse, Gaelic and English! I believe the Gaelic Sgor/Sgorr/Sgurr is Gaelicised from the Old Norse Skerrie, as in "Big Jutting Rocks We Do Not Want To Run The Longship Aground On, The Skipper Is Already In A Stinking Mood Since The Battle Of Largs".
On a serious note, the Gaelicisation of Old Norse place names in Scotland is a cultural destruction every bit as terrible as the Anglicisation of Gaelic, which the Gaels are so against. But nobody ever listens to me. Phooey.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion