walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Advice on Cape Wrath Trail with a dog....

Advice on Cape Wrath Trail with a dog....

Postby Katejadams » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:52 am

Hi, newbie to this site and wondered if I could ask advice from those of you that have done the Cape Wrath Trail....

I am planning on doing it and would like to take my dog which I realise makes a hard trail even harder in some aspects! My main concern is wire/stock fences with no styles or gates... he is a large 33kg dog and being only 5ft 4" I cannot safely lift him over a stock fence with wire on the top. I know there are the wire fences up at Cape Wrath which people climb over, does anyone know if there is a style or a gate even if it means walking further over to the east to reach it?

From all the pics I have seen, trip reports etc I dont see mention of wire fences other than the MOD ones at Cape Wrath, I presume that as its mainly though open hillside you are not entering/leaving stock enclosures/fields - would you say that is correct?

My second concern would be river crossings if in spate, and the dogs welfare would come first, I wouldnt cross if it looked to be dangerous for him. This of course if more down to the rainfall, I might hit lucky, I might not. From pics I have seen of the rivers he would be fine getting across, although I seem to see far more pics in trip reports of them fairly low as opposed to in spate.

If I didnt make it due to rivers we were unable to cross due to being in spate, so be it. But it would be damned annoying to be stopped by wire fences....

I would be aiming on three supply pick ups (posted ahead) as carrying his food for the whole trip would be too much, and would probably book dog friendly accom in advance at these places, otherwise wild camping.

Any thoughts much appreciated....
Katejadams

Re: Advice on Cape Wrath Trail with a dog....

Postby helenw » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:29 pm

If using the Walkhighlands route there aren't high wire fences to climb - the route goes to the stiles over the MOD fence on theSandwood to Cape Wrath section if you have GPS then the route will take you exactly to the stile but not particularly hard to find as painted white - some of the river crossings can be difficult depending on conditions at the time - others may have experience with a dog on these.
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby Katejadams » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:43 pm

helenw wrote:If using the Walkhighlands route there aren't high wire fences to climb - the route goes to the stiles over the MOD fence on theSandwood to Cape Wrath section if you have GPS then the route will take you exactly to the stile but not particularly hard to find as painted white - some of the river crossings can be difficult depending on conditions at the time - others may have experience with a dog on these.

Helen, thank you. Yes I do have GPS, I hadn't realised though that there was a route download that took you to the stile in the MOD fence, I will take a look at that. I have also been in touch with James Mather the mini bus driver who is checking out options for me. Having read so many trip reports that all seemed to mention "climbing the wire fence" (and often tearing trousers whilst doing so!) I just presumed that there was no stile or easy way around....

I am aiming on doing with a mid April start date, wanted to avoid the midges as much as possible, plus I know from walking regularly in tussock and bog covered hills that in late summer bracken and tussocks are at their worst. Bogs and river crossings dependant on weather and regarding the dog on river crossings would defo be keeping fingers crossed its not a real wet period as yes was wondering how difficult for the dog they would be. We are both used to river crossings on our regular walks (cambrian mountains) but the ones on the CWT trail especially if in spate are going to be wider/potentially deeper.
Katejadams

Postby Guinessman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:19 am

Hi Kate, I,'ve posted on the other post
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby frankieman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Hello Kate,

I did the CWT in May last year with 20kg of spaniel. Depending on your route you may find some 8ft high stiles over deer fences which could be an issue if trying to lift a 33kg dog over the top bit. There is one on the Heights of Kinlochewe, after Meallan Odhar and before the glen south of Bealach Gorm. There were others - I think there was one in Glen Loyne.
Will you dog be wearing a harness of any kind? I ask because the handle/strap on top is very useful for lifting the dog up and over things, including on one occasion, throwing my backpack over an 8ft fence, climbing up on top of the fence and then lifting the dog up to me and lowering down the other side, using his lead attached to the handle on the top of the harness. However, 20kg is very much less than 33kg!
As regards the range at the Cape, I only encountered one fence ( route was from Strathchailleach bothy to the Cape )
and I climbed the fence and then reached back over and lifted the dog over. It would have been very difficult without the harness. The harness, incidentally, was to carry his backpack which contained his food - just in case you don't feel like carrying it.
We had a great time - you may think that you are close to and know your dog well now but it gets better...

Please don't hesitate to ask for more info if you should want.
'Manandog' on the Walking forum is a very good source of advice as well.
frankieman
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Postby Scotjamie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:51 am

Walked from Strathchailleach and didn't use WH route so missed the stile suggested by Helen. Agree with Frankieman that MOD wire fence not too high but still a wee problem with a 33kg dog. A harness or panniers a good idea.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Old Stag » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:59 am

There's a gate in the MOD fence, no idea if it's kept locked or not as I use the stile just before it. The gate and stile are surrounded by the worst bog of the whole trail though.
Old Stag

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion