walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bridges - flood damage

Bridges - flood damage


Postby Paul Webster » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:07 pm

It was suggested there should be a thread for folk to post about footbridges which are down, following Frank and the subsequent storms and flooding. Obviously the flooding is still such on Deeside at the moment that any access is difficult with the A93 and some other roads closed, and many paths could be blocked by floods.

The only bridges I've 100% heard is down are the footbridges at the head of Loch Muick (confirmed by a tweet from Balmoral Estate). I'm sure there must be many others around eastern Scotland. As far as walkers' bridges are concerned, up until yesterday at least the temporary bridge at Derry Lodge was still in place.

The beautiful Cambus o' May footbridge has been damaged and not likely crossable at present but we do not yet have confirmation of its final state.

If you know of any bridges that are definitely down, please post them on this thread.
User avatar
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 5342
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:66   Donalds:43
Sub 2000:116   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Joined: Jan 6, 2007
Location: Highland
Walk wish-list

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:12 pm

According to Mar Lodge Estate the Allanquoich road bridge has serious damage and should not be used.
User avatar
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 3349
Munros:262   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Joined: Jan 30, 2010
Location: Central Region
Walk wish-list

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby malky_c » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:03 am

Bridge at Baddoch in Glen Clunie is gone:
http://scairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk/2016/01/access/

Allt Fhearnasdail bridge in Glen Feshie and Bachnagairn bridge in Glen Doll also knackered:
https://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com ... erry-area/
User avatar
malky_c
 
Posts: 6006
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:276   Hewitts:269
Wainwrights:122   Islands:36
Joined: Nov 22, 2009
Location: Glasgow/Inverness

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:31 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:According to Mar Lodge Estate the Allanquoich road bridge has serious damage and should not be used.


That's one way of puting it... I suspect it's only use now will be as firewood. For some beachcomber in Fitty. :shock:

IMG_4258a.jpg
Quoich Bridge
User avatar
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging
 
Posts: 7356
Joined: Feb 5, 2009

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:57 pm

It would be useful to have a way to (easily) keep track on the status of bridges and other missing/damaged infrastructure over time (eg to know if & when damaged bridges have been replaced etc) - I have put a brain dump of my thoughts on the Site Information/feedback forum .

btw huge sympathy & respect for those in the North East (and elsewhere in Scotland and northern England) affected by the recent flooding of homes & businesses and transport infrastructure - this morning's BBC Radio Scotland Out of Doors brought home to me how devastating the recent weather has been. Also, hats off to the relevant emergency services (notably the local Fire & Mountain Rescue teams) - my thoughts and respect are with you all

BtB
:(
User avatar
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 283
Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   
Joined: Mar 29, 2013
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby gary » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:03 pm

According to Angus Country Parks FB page the Bachnagairn foot bridge up the Moulzie track past the Moulzie Cottage has been completely washed away and are advising there is no access to Bachnagairn.
This was posted a week ago and said they were in the process of checking other footbridges in the Glendoll area but no word of any other damage as of yet.
It does advise to contact the Glendoll Ranger before heading out in the area though.
Tel. 01575 550233 or email at GlenDollRanger@angus.gov.uk
gary
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 80
Munros:236   Corbetts:5
Joined: Aug 7, 2011
Location: Forfar

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby Senja » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:27 pm

I suppose the "no access" is dependent on the water conditions.
Senja
 
Posts: 104
Munros:132   Corbetts:33
Grahams:166   Donalds:49
Sub 2000:251   Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:20   Islands:14
Joined: Aug 22, 2015

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby KatTai » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:25 pm

gary wrote:According to Angus Country Parks FB page the Bachnagairn foot bridge up the Moulzie track past the Moulzie Cottage has been completely washed away and are advising there is no access to Bachnagairn.
This was posted a week ago and said they were in the process of checking other footbridges in the Glendoll area but no word of any other damage as of yet.
It does advise to contact the Glendoll Ranger before heading out in the area though.
Tel. 01575 550233 or email at GlenDollRanger@angus.gov.uk


Angus Country Parks recently posted their diversion using a route South of the river (they say it is signposted) for this route on their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/AngusCountrysi ... =3&theater
User avatar
KatTai
Wanderer
 
Posts: 848
Munros:52   Corbetts:15
Grahams:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:26   
Islands:25
Joined: Feb 12, 2015

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:29 pm

We've updated the following further routes which are currently not possible due to bridges being down (details on each route):
Braemar riverside walk
Ballater Seven Bridges walk
Drumin circular walk
Anyone who has any of these routes on Viewranger should see the updated text when they sync their phone.

The An Socach walk above Glen Clunie has been updated again as the footbridge north of the washed-away bridge on the track is still present, though it is reportedly damaged and crossing may be dangerous.

The Allt Mor path above Utsi's Bridge (Glenmore) is also currently closed due to landslips.

There is damage to landrover tracks having sections washed out on many other routes in the Cairngorms but in most cases these are still passable to walkers.

If anyone could let us know about any other walks affected by bridges being down we are trying to keep all routes up to date (likewise if you think a bridge has reopened).
User avatar
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 5342
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:66   Donalds:43
Sub 2000:116   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Joined: Jan 6, 2007
Location: Highland
Walk wish-list

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby NickyRannoch » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:59 pm

KatTai wrote:
gary wrote:According to Angus Country Parks FB page the Bachnagairn foot bridge up the Moulzie track past the Moulzie Cottage has been completely washed away and are advising there is no access to Bachnagairn.
This was posted a week ago and said they were in the process of checking other footbridges in the Glendoll area but no word of any other damage as of yet.
It does advise to contact the Glendoll Ranger before heading out in the area though.
Tel. 01575 550233 or email at GlenDollRanger@angus.gov.uk


Angus Country Parks recently posted their diversion using a route South of the river (they say it is signposted) for this route on their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/AngusCountrysi ... =3&theater


Soaking and marshy at the best of times though.
User avatar
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1491
Munros:172   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:16
Joined: Aug 21, 2009
Location: Carse of Gowrie, Perthshire

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:06 am

There's an interactive map of Lake District bridge and path closures on the National Park's website.

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/thingstodo/rowupdates/rights-of-way-cumbria-floods-update

[url]http://217.77.186.232/mapLDNPA/Aurora.svc/run?script=\Aurora\Floods2015_RightsOfWay.AuroraScript%24&nocache=1969388189&resize=always[/url]

(Don't know what I've done wrong with the url!)
User avatar
nigheandonn
Wanderer
 
Posts: 1436
Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Grahams:7   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:54   Hewitts:134
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34
Joined: Jul 7, 2011
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby ancancha » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:According to Mar Lodge Estate the Allanquoich road bridge has serious damage and should not be used.


That's one way of puting it... I suspect it's only use now will be as firewood. For some beachcomber in Fitty. :shock:

IMG_4258a.jpg


Is this same brigde :?:
Image
Thats a shame :(
User avatar
ancancha
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 989
Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Joined: Jun 30, 2014
Location: Killadysert

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:47 am

We've had a report in that the Baddoch Burn bridge has now been rebuilt. We'll keep updating all the individual routes with the latest reported changes.
User avatar
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 5342
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:66   Donalds:43
Sub 2000:116   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Joined: Jan 6, 2007
Location: Highland
Walk wish-list

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby Alastair S » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:41 pm

The bridges at the far end (SW) of Loch Muick have now been repaired with some help from the good folk of Braemar mountain rescue - Balmoral's Facebook has photos.
User avatar
Alastair S
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 1283
Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22
Joined: Dec 14, 2008
Location: Banchory, Aberdeenshire

Re: Bridges - flood damage

Postby KatTai » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:06 pm

Alastair S wrote:The bridges at the far end (SW) of Loch Muick have now been repaired with some help from the good folk of Braemar mountain rescue - Balmoral's Facebook has photos.


Great news! I've been wanting to take my new dog to Lock Muick for months! :D
User avatar
KatTai
Wanderer
 
Posts: 848
Munros:52   Corbetts:15
Grahams:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:26   
Islands:25
Joined: Feb 12, 2015

Next



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free


Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?



Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ScotFinn65 and 18 guests