walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Backpacking The Highlands for 6 months

Backpacking The Highlands for 6 months

Postby DMcKenna » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi there folks. New member here.

Im planning to backpack the Scottish highlands from April to October. I'm completely new to all us this, but deep inside me I know I need to do this. These 6 months will consist of sightseeing, working out, being at one with nature & yoga/meditation. As I said before, something deep inside me is telling me I need to do this to improve my state of mind - even if it means giving up my flat.

I'm planning on starting at Milngavie & complete the West Highland Way, taking my time to climb any mountains/munroes on the way or just take in the views in general. From there, I just plan on getting maps & trying to explore ever possible place I can. I'm especially keen on getting to Alchmelvich & Sandwood Bay Beaches. They look awesome.

I'll be camping outdoors at all time, picking up food from any little towns that I can drop into.

I don't want to drag this on. What I'm wanting to know is: 1. Is 6 months enough to take in all of the highlands? Even worse, I don't want to explore all of the highlands in a couple of months, leaving me a few months with no new places to explore. 2. Has anyone here done anything similar? Is it possible?

Thanks a lot.
DMcKenna
Scrambler

Re: Backpacking The Highlands for 6 months

Postby KeithS » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:28 pm

This sounds like a wonderful thing to do if you have the time to do it.

6 months is quite a long time if this is your first expedition of any kind, unless you have experience elsewhere. Some of the areas are indeed very remote and you will need to be self sufficient, although I suspect if you are starting with the West Highland Way solitude will not be an issue at first :? .

You do not need to worry about exhausting the Highlands in that time. A lifetime would still leave you with more to do.

I developed my love of the Highlands on a solo 15 day coast to coast walk (report if you are interested: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18271 ).

Do bear in mind that you are not guaranteed good weather for the entire summer! It does occasionally rain :lol: and there can still be snow in April and May, or even later.

As far as improving your state of mind then I can think of no better way of doing it if it suits you. I suspect it is the sort of thing that you would either love or hate. I would love it but I'm not sure if I could give up all life's luxuries for six months.

Good luck.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby pjm1 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Wow, that is a serious undertaking! Are you based in Scotland at the moment?

I'm assuming you're looking to do it all on foot? That will be a huge number of miles you'll be covering in that sort of timeframe. Even at a very modest 10 miles / day, with one day a week resting you're looking at 1500 miles walked :shock:

One of the challenges may well be to get that balance between activity days and resting days right. Especially at the beginning, you'll probably want more than 1 in 7 days to rest and recover, but is there a chance you'll be bored? What if your rest day is in the middle of nowhere and it's chucking it down? I would have thought the psychological challenge will be greatest of all.

Weather is difficult, too. Are you planning on keeping up to date with forecasts? Knowing that may well affect your choice of route - especially looking at wind. Being able to get up-to-date forecasts will rely on re-entering civilisation, which might not be when you need the forecasts most?

The other thing which springs to mind is... the midge. Apologies if you're already thoroughly familiar with this, but don't forget that from May onwards walking at lower altitude on windless days might be a bit horrible. I think we all cope with it for a day or two at a time, but when you know you're in that environment for four+ months... again, it's the psychological battle for me.

A hugely impressive undertaking and I wish you well planning it out. I'm sure everyone here would love to hear more about it as your thinking develops.
pjm1
Rambler

Munros:66   

Postby rgf101 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:05 pm

Sounds like a fantastic plan, but please - if you are, as you say, "completely new", then take it easy on yourself at first. Work in a few overnight trips, build up to longer camps, use a hostel or bothy here and there. Take time to find gear you're happy with, learn how everything works. Build up the navigation skills you'll need. It'd be the easiest thing in the world to bite off more than you can chew on a munro, get caught in bad weather, suffer leaky boots, struggle to get the tent up... the best outcome is a horrible experience.
rgf101

Postby IanEzzi » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:09 pm

Wow, exciting plan!

Personally if I had 6 months free in the Highlands I think I would try to walk the entire coastline, I think some of the wildest terrain left in Scotland is to be found on the coasts, and it gives you an excuse to hop ferries to the islands (we had three days hitchhiking around Tiree while pretending to be on a surfing holiday, it was one of the most relaxing short breaks I've had in Scotland) and see some amazing beaches. And, of course, there are plenty of Munros on the coast and it would be very easy to plan forays inland if you saw something interesting on the map. Once you reached John O'Groats and came back down the east coast you could then join the Speyside Way and make your way into the Cairngorms etc.

If it were me, having an (admirable) yet hazy goal of 'exploring the highlands' could be difficult to turn into a successful trip, i.e. if you wake up one morning tired or demotivated, and it's pouring with rain, what do you do? Also, much as I love big meandering walks through wild glens etc, if you just do it aimlessly for 6 months then one glen will very much start looking like another!

At least if you have a destination or a goal in mind then there is something specific to work towards every day. You could call it a 'Lap of Scotland' 8)

Writing this now is making my feet itch... :D
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby innkeeper » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Wow. 6 Months where to start!!! Mean you could walk round Knoydart then there all the Islands The coast then the bit in the middle. Where I live it would be wrong to say every day is different its more like every hour.
Also I have spoken to a few people one was doing the CWT and had taken 4 months to get from Fort William to just above Ullapool. when asked she said she was just using the trail as like a tree trunk and would spend days, weeks following any path track of it. A few days later I seen her again in Ullapool she had just follow the coast back to town.
Another guy said he had just retired and had been walking for a month and would carry on for 2 more months. But had no real plans. These are just 2 of the brilliant people I have been lucky to meet.
But if you do it keep us upto date on your Travels and good luck
innkeeper
Ambler

Postby Kevin29035 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:43 pm

Cool!

I spent three months exploring the Highlands once and I can honestly say I didn't come close to exhausting their potential. You'll have no issues there.

You'll be wildly throwing yourself in at the deep end, but then people do this kind of thing and they make it work. For myself, I would prefer a goal to work toward to keep me motivated and moving when I'm out there. But yes, there are folk that go out to live in the Highlands for months at a time, and you'll never hear about them. I didn't know until I started meeting them out there...

Food supplies will be a huge issue as there truly are very very few towns when you're travelling out there, much less supermarkets where you can pick up really comprehensive and varied types of food - much different to the slightly more common petrol-station-with-a-fridge-of-sandwiches you'll find in many Highland areas.

Bleedin eck I could go on forever and ever about it.

Send us a PM if you wish and I'll natter forever.

Making my feet itch, too...!!!!

Kev
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby laconic surf » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:02 pm

KeithS wrote:
I developed my love of the Highlands on a solo 15 day coast to coast walk (report if you are interested: <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18271</span> ).

A superb report Keith. I sat in my office and read this rather than filling in my tax return!! :lol:

Good luck DmKenna with your plans
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby BobMcBob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:19 pm

I did 6 months in a campervan about 4 years ago, followed by about 5 months the year after. I gave up my job and my house and it's the best thing I've ever done. Even with the degree of mobility afforded by a house on wheels, 6 months was only enough to scratch the surface. 6 years wouldn't be enough :)

Similar to you, it was something I felt I had to do. I can't comment on whether it's a good idea to do it on foot if you've never done any backpacking before, but if you're in a similar frame of mind to where I was I would imagine that you're really not concerned about that aspect of it, and you're probably right not to be. It was a wonderful and worthwhile thing so here's a few of my experiences as something for you to think about.

Don't go with too much of a plan, it just puts pressure on you. Follow your instincts and follow your heart and you'll really feel the freedom.

Prepare to be lonely. The solitude will help with the clearing of the mind for sure but try to plan some visits to decent hostelries from time to time to reconnect with humans :) I went a little stir crazy after an entire week of appalling weather pretty much confined me to the van and my own company but a Saturday at the Clachaig Inn and some live music sorted me out :)

The Highlands get under your skin. Be prepared to keep coming back for more.

You will come back fitter - physically and mentally - than you have ever been and you will want to stay that way. You can't bring the Highlands home with you but you can bring the memories (get a camera) and the attitude.

Go for it. I wish I could do it again for the first time.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Kevin29035 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:17 pm

BobMcBob wrote:
The Highlands get under your skin. Be prepared to keep coming back for more.

You will come back fitter - physically and mentally - than you have ever been and you will want to stay that way. You can't bring the Highlands home with you but you can bring the memories (get a camera) and the attitude.

Go for it. I wish I could do it again for the first time.

Wonderful words.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:07 pm

DMcKenna wrote:Hi there folks. New member here.
Im planning to backpack the Scottish highlands from April to October. I'm completely new to all us this, but deep inside me I know I need to do this. These 6 months will consist of sightseeing, working out, being at one with nature & yoga/meditation. As I said before, something deep inside me is telling me I need to do this to improve my state of mind - even if it means giving up my flat.

I don't want to drag this on. What I'm wanting to know is: 1. Is 6 months enough to take in all of the highlands? Even worse, I don't want to explore all of the highlands in a couple of months, leaving me a few months with no new places to explore. 2. Has anyone here done anything similar? Is it possible?

Thanks a lot.

Are you going to make yourself homeless to do this? How will you finance your trip? What will you do afterwards? Have you thought this through? It sounds like a notion from someone on the upswing of their bipolar disorder. Discuss your plan with your G.P. /community nurse.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:18 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Are you going to make yourself homeless to do this? How will you finance your trip? What will you do afterwards? Have you thought this through? It sounds like a notion from someone on the upswing of their bipolar disorder. Discuss your plan with your G.P. /community nurse.

Awwww come on, I hope that's the legendary Caberfeidh sense of humour. I made myself homeless, I financed it through savings. At the time I made the decision I was saner and more sure of myself than I had ever been. And no, I didn't think it through and that was precisely the point, had I agonised over the decision I'd probably never have gone through with it.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:13 pm

BobMcBob wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:

Awwww come on, I hope that's the legendary Caberfeidh sense of humour. I made myself homeless, I financed it through savings. At the time I made the decision I was saner and more sure of myself than I had ever been. And no, I didn't think it through and that was precisely the point, had I agonised over the decision I'd probably never have gone through with it.

But you live in a van.... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby MountainHare22 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:38 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Are you going to make yourself homeless to do this? How will you finance your trip? What will you do afterwards? Have you thought this through? It sounds like a notion from someone on the upswing of their bipolar disorder. Discuss your plan with your G.P. /community nurse.

I appreciate the humour and the serious side to your comments too, but I am not sure it would have to be that expensive.
The chap on the Cameron McNeish programme at Christmas time kayaked and walked/cycled round Scotland for a year for £3000 - admittedly I don't have a spare £3000 lying about but that sounds pretty good for a trip of that length since it wouldn't even pay 6 months rent in some places! I'd imagine a 6 month retreat in Scotland would be a lot more financially viable than the gap years abroad you hear about. Probably good to have a back up place to live if it falls through though.

Just wish I could take 6 months of work to do the same! Someone suggested walking around the coast which sounds very attractive, but I would probably take too long exploring little islands and clambering round cliffs to do it in 6 months.
MountainHare22
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:39 pm

In a way I agree with Caberfeidh. It is great to think what it might be like to do this sort of thing, but try starting in a small way and experience what it might feel like for a fortnight or so before you burn your boats. However annoying your current life style feels, it is a known framework, and best maybe only to abandon it by degrees. Besides, it is tempting to live on peculiar foods while back-packing just because you can carry them. I know MY system wouldn't take it, but then I can't carry fresh veg.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion