walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Suggestions for a beginner

Suggestions for a beginner

Postby Grievesy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Hello all :) I am looking for some hints and tips before I let myself loose in the Scottish outdoors. A brief background if you like.

I've been challenged by a mate to do all the Munros in Scotland, this was accepted down the pub after more than a few pints while we discussed things we could do at weekends, As I now work in the city and I am fed up of seeing concrete suburbia. I've long been yearning to start getting outdoors more often and now seeing I'm 31 and ex forces, I feel I miss the sense of achievement from getting to the summit and pausing to relish in the moment. I've already climbed a few munros in the past everything from Nevis to smaller ones the Army had me yomp over for 'fun' (never is fun when it's forced).

We've already decided to have a crack at the WHW in the summer, and we seem to have most of the kit (2-3 seasons) and we do have the skill set (albeit rusty) Just wondering if anyone has a few suggestions to start us off in the way of a good 10 munros to start on, in a bid to help break us in nicely for the challenge as well as helping get our fitness up and trial and error. Any help is appreciated,
Grievesy
Scrambler

Grahams:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Suggestions for a beginner

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:49 pm

The moderator has already devised an article on beginner Munros
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/our-pick-10-of-the-easier-munros/0013233/
You won't come to grief doing these. I'd add Dreish and Mayar and Tarmachan just because husband took our US friend up there with his kids and they coped.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion