walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cape Wrath trail questions and concerns

Cape Wrath trail questions and concerns

Postby Dude57 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:16 am

I'm coming in from the US and as part of my trip in Scotland, I'm doing a section of the Cape Wrath Trail from Glenfinnan to Strathcarron. I've gotten the Harvey's map of the trail, the Cicerone guide book and a compass. Weather wise, I have very good water proof gear. I have a few concerns as I prepare for the trip at the end of May.

1. With what I have thus far, would be it be imperative to have a GPS? The guide seems very detailed

2. Being a this is an unmarked route, how busy does it get in May/June?

3. Should I register with the Mountain Bothy Association?

I may have more questions as I get closer to the trip.
Dude57
Mountaineer

Re: Cape Wrath trail questions and concerns

Postby Essan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:56 am

Personally I dont think GPS is necessary in Scotland. Others may hold different views! The route is mostly through glens and visibility shouldnt be an issue. A map is the most important thing.

In May/June you are sure to meet other people most days, but most wont be doing the CWT. I dont think the CWT is ever all that busy as such. Its nothing like the Pennine Way or West Highland Way, though I suppose more are doing it as it becomes better known. There wont be a horde of other people setting off the same day as you.

And no, you dont need to join the MBA. All bothies are open for anyone to use. Though obviously if you do join, your membership subscription helps towards their maintenance.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby motorlaunch » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:21 am

Unfortunately there is something called the Cape Wrath Ultra being held 20 May to 29 May. I can't put the url in so google cape wrath ultra for details.

Depressingly, these so called "organised" events fall back on the emergency services when there plans fall apart.

Hopefully your trip will not coincide with their dates.
motorlaunch
Mountaineer

Postby Dude57 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:31 am

Thanks! I think that I got into a bot of a panic yesterday thinking about it.

@Motor- We'll be starting as the Ultra ends,
Dude57
Mountaineer

Postby Scraggygoat » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:55 pm

The Cape Wrath Trail, and and the Scottish hills in general are relatively popular irrespective of whether you are on a known route or not from Late April through to October. Also note there is only one true 'marked' mountain trail in Scotland. I would expect to meet multiple people most days particularly through Knoydart, and Sheil and most bothies will be busy or full, particularly at weekends. Though it's possible once north of Glen Sheil you might not see anyone for a day or so especially mid week.

Also the concept of the CWT has been heavily publicised in recent years, this can be illustrated by the following experience:

On a miserable wet weekend in early May I decided to do a two day mountain biketour, stopping in a bothy without a fire place and well away from usual munro or Corbett circuits. On arrival there was already a lady CWT hiker in residence, a little later another lady arrived. She was providing support for a party of CWT hikers whom had yet to arrive, about an hour later her hikers arrived, about eight of them and then they all headed out to the road. Two hours later a party of six other CWT hikers walked in. Ten or so years ago I would have probably met no one in that bothy, in fact the non-MBA estate bothy not on the CWT about six miles away was empty.

On a practical side I wouldn't take a GPs

However do not be disheartened, you have chosen to travel through, some very fine areas, and it will be unlikely that you will ever feel 'crowded out'. In twenty years time it may be a different matter.

It would be good if you could join or make a donation to the MBA, but you're not obliged to.
Scraggygoat

Postby Dude57 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:31 pm

Scraggy, Your words are very reassuring and I'm more excited than ever about the trail. I'll be looking to contribute to the MBA. Cheers!
Dude57
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion