walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Braeriach - Cairn Toul Traverse

Braeriach - Cairn Toul Traverse

Postby ally63 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:19 pm

A group of us (nine) are heading over (from NI) to Aviemore at the end of May with the sole target being the Braeriach - Cairn Toul Traverse...in a day! Having read many of the trip reports on this site it appears that the favoured direction of travel is Cairn Toul to Braeriach. Any particular reason for this? My own thoughts were to tackle Braeriach first and leave the longest section of walking for coming back, that way if it's getting dark at least we're off the mountain. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated and studied.
I've been to the Cairngorms many times but always in winter so I'm expecting a vastly different landscape...albeit with snow in sheltered spots. Oh, and midgies!!!
ally63
Munro compleatist

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Braeriach - Cairn Toul Traverse

Postby brpro26 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:54 pm

Any way you go it's going to be a long day 12-14hrs probably. I'd be more inclined to go from Whitewell as a starting point, it's slightly longer than from the Sugar bowl carpark. Go up Braeriach first and come off at the Devils Point to the bothy and back along the Lairig Ghru.
As you said yourself it's just then a walk out(but still challenging) at the end of a very long day.
The going should get easier as you get nearer Rothiemurchus and Whitewell.
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby simon-b » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi Ally

I did this in the Cairn Toul to Braeriach direction on Midsummer's Day in 2011, in mist and rain. The route was the WH one, but omitting Devil's Point due to the conditions. It was only my second Munro walk (but not only my second mountain walk!) and I managed it in a day. So it's doable if you've got decent hill fitness.

Are you thinking of doing the Walk Highlands route in reverse? The main thing that strikes me about your reason for starting with Braeriach is to be "off the mountain" when you get to Corrour Bothy. In reality you'll have come down from the second highest plateau in Britain, but you'll still be on rugged mountain terrain, with two demanding mountain passes to cross: the Lairig Ghru and the Chalamain Gap. The former pass involves a long route on rough ground which takes you back over 800 metres above sea level. The latter is shorter, but choked with very large boulders, some of which are unstable, and would be tricky to negotiate in the dark. Whichever way round you went, if you used the WH route, you would be crossing the Chalamain Gap late in the day when you're tired, but still need maximum concentration and preferably daylight.

In principle, there's no reason why this route cannot be tackled either way round. When I did it, my own preference was to get over the Lairig Ghru first and reach Corrour Bothy, at which point I was able to decide if I had time to get back over the Munro summits. Good luck, and I hope you get decent conditions.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ally63 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks fellas, good info in both posts and either way I know from much reading that the Lairig Ghru and Chalamain Gap are unique :crazy:
I'm the only one in the group who has been to the Cairngorms. Come to think of it I may be the only one who has been to Scotland :shock: The others have plenty of experience elsewhere (inc the Alps) but I've been at pains to stress how challenging the Cairngorms can be, especially in poor conditions.
The plan is the traverse in one day and we're aiming for a 'first light' start to maximize our chances. We just need the weather to play ball!
Needless to say our first stop on arrival in Aviemore is the Mountain Cafe for their stupendous range of cakes :-P :thumbup:
ally63
Munro compleatist

Postby perr » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:53 pm

I did this a couple of years ago in fine summer conditions. I went out over Chalamain Gap, up Braeriach, round to Carn Toul, took in Devils Point and back via Lairig Ghru and Chalamain. Overall about 11 hours. A great walk, although I did find the Lairig a tough challenge at end of long day - did wonder in fact whether a simple out and back (across from Braeriach to Carn Toul and back same way - omitting Devil's Point) would have made a more straightforward walk. Good luck anyway
perr
Munro compleatist

Munros:265   Corbetts:3

Postby ally63 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:38 pm

Yea good idea Perr. Given that we may be at different levels of fitness that could be an option for some....or all of us if things are getting tight. :thumbup:
ally63
Munro compleatist

Postby prog99 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:57 pm

At the end of May lack of daylight won't be an issue!
As for timings, a few years ago we did what you've planned + cairngorm & macdui in around 10 hours (without running any of the sections) so unless anyone in your party is really unfit then it should be perfectly feasible to do this in reasonable timescales.
Remember to take into account ascending and then descending the pools of Dee section of the lairig guru too(and the reascent after this!)
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby ally63 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:04 pm

10 hours :shock: :shock: :shock:
If we manage the traverse in that time I'll be more than happy but great achievement prog99 :clap:
ally63
Munro compleatist

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:53 am

Have you thought about doing a linear walk from Linn of Dee to the Sugarbowl including the Cairntoul Braeriach traverse. A bit more organising involved but worth it, also you will see more of the Cairngorms than a circular out and back. Although the linear route is probably only 1 or 2 miles shorter there will be a lot less ascent
The Chalamain gap boulder field is fairly short and doesn't take long to get through.

In May you probably wont be bothered by the midgie. They dont "normally" become a real problem until sometime in june.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby ally63 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:00 am

Not really an option Sunset as we'll be staying in Aviemore and logistically we couldn't manage it.
The other fellas in the group are all Munro/Cairngorm virgins so ascending via Braeriach first at least gets them onto the third highest mountain in Britain and Ireland, which they are all keen to do. Our plan for the second day is Ben Macdui and Cairngorm which will bag them No.2 in height.
We'll be discussing the alternatives and using the advice garnered here to come to a collective decision. That'll be a fun conversation :shock: :lol:
Thanks again everyone for your input :clap:
ally63
Munro compleatist

Postby prog99 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:41 am

Would you not be better taking a look at Cairngorm and Macdui first then? You'll be able to gauge your mates fitness.
It's also a great viewpoint for the braeriach traverse.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby abbruce » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:18 pm

Did this walk a couple of years ago parking at Sugarbowl & going through the Chalamain gap. We then went right out the Lairig Ghru, up Cairn Toul, across to Braeriach & followed a good path back down & through the Chalamain gap.

It's a really fantastic walk. I remember the climb up Cairn Toul was a killer & being shattered on the way back. I think we took around 9 hours. Whilst I always make sure I've got plenty food, this was the one time I ran out & needed to half my mate's emergency Mars bar.

Huge walk, so good luck & make sure everyone has plenty food & water.
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby ally63 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:43 pm

Few reasons for doing it on the first day Prog99 and having a few drinkers in the group is one of them 8) I reckon I can persuade them to take it easy on the night of our arrival but both nights :roll: ! Having said that the weather forecast ultimately will be the decider on which day we do each route.
Given past experience with most of them it's certainly not a lack of food that's an issue but water usually is. Not sure how many options there might be to replenish?
Seriously can't wait to introduce them to the Cairngorm experience :D and from my side it'll be such a difference to my usual winter visits.
ally63
Munro compleatist

Postby basscadet » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:50 am

Surely the answer is to do the Braeriach traverse and stay at/near corrour bothy, then go back over Macdui & Cairngorm the following day (or the reverse of this). Anything else would be sheer madness, all that to-ing and fro-ing and extra miles for no reason :crazy:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:46 pm

I did this last June (almost mid Summer's day) in near perfect conditions. I started off at 7am from the Sugar Bowl, and headed down the Lairig Ghru to Corrour Bothy before going up to Devils Point and then ticking off the other three with Brarieach being last.

I got back to the Sugar Bowl at 8.30 pm. It was a fantastic day out - quite possibly my best ever on the hills. :D Your rationale - getting the hills out of the way firstly and doing the walk back on the flat of the LG - makes sense tbh.

Either way, you'll have a fabulous day I'm sure. Fingers crossed you get the weather, as it really is a traverse that is visually stunning from start to finish.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion