walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Scottish National Trail - does it exist beyond this website?

Scottish National Trail - does it exist beyond this website?

Postby macnaus » Mon May 02, 2016 9:29 pm

Started walking the Scottish National Trail this weekend which I'd discovered on this website. First two stages in the bag, 28 to go :D

However, I was surprised that there's no mention of it on the ground, when the trail was drawn up did anyone plan to add way markers like all the other long distance trails? I appreciate that for a lot of the distance it follows other signed routes but it doesn't join up 100%

I've done a search on line too and beyond Hamish's book and DVD the trail is nowhere to be found, any ideas why?

As an aside I'm using your excellent viewranger routes to make sure I don't get lost (I just need to check the app a tad more frequently if the direction is ambiguous :lol: )
macnaus

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Scottish National Trail - does it exist beyond this webs

Postby helenw » Tue May 03, 2016 10:03 am

The route was devised by Cameron McNeish and provided the basis for a TV programme and book (aimed to inspire people to do the route rather than serve as a detailed route guide) - Walkhighlands then refined the route in places in collaboration with Cameron and walked/mapped it for the description and maps you see on Walkhighlands and for the Viewranger app. There are no specific waymarkers - there is a commemorative marker on the Water of Leith and also one at the end at Cape Wrath but the route has not received any funding for waymarking or other facilities. Maybe as more folk walk the whole route there will be more demand for waymarking. Part of what I liked about the route (aside from the achievement of walking the length of the country) was the way it had the relatively easier sections nearer to the beginning and in the central belt and then got more challenging as it covered parts of the Cape Wrath Trail, I quite liked the sense of self-reliance this encouraged and I liked the fact it wasn't waymarked as it made it a bit more of a challenge, but I think we'll see what happens in terms of official support for the route as it gains popularity - certainly we're hearing of a lot more people attempting the whole walk.

Enjoy it!
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Re: Scottish National Trail - does it exist beyond this webs

Postby basscadet » Tue May 03, 2016 3:20 pm

I think most of the long distance routes are not waymarked in this country. If I was walking from the border to Cape Wrath, I wouldn't go the way detailed on this site, but that wouldn't make it any less of a challenge or an achievement. Long distance walks are meant to inspire, not be adhered to! Thats the joy of routes like the national trail, you get to do your own thing 8)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion