walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Conditions on the South Glen Shiel Ridge

Conditions on the South Glen Shiel Ridge

Postby boeda » Mon May 09, 2016 9:15 pm

Hello,
we are set to go for our annual walking-weekend. Coming weekend our 4 days of walking starts with the South glen Shiel Ridge this saturday (May 14th), with a high camp planned near Creag nan Damh.
The next three days we will walk to Glen Shiel and, via Gleann Lichd, back to Cluanie Inn. Depending on conditions we might consider climbing a munro on route.

Is it nessecary to take ice-ax/crampons with us in the current conditions? If so, we might change our plans because we don't have those with us. Allthough we had our fair share of foul scottish weather during earlier trips in april and october (including occasional snowfields), we have no real winter-walking experience.
Hope to get some advice,
Thanks,

Arie
boeda
Bird-watcher

Munros:13   

Re: Conditions on the South Glen Shiel Ridge

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue May 10, 2016 7:22 pm

We drove past there yesterday and there was a fair amount of snow on the northern face and it looked like there was snow on top of parts of the ridge but I couldn't say if it was avoidable or not. Conditions are very changable at the moment so hopefully someone else will be able give you a better idea before the weekend.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby boeda » Tue May 10, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks.
Hope to hear someone who's been up there (or will be) before we set off Saturday.

Just watched a walkreport from 10 days ago :shock: :shock: . Hopefully some of the snow has melted beween then and now. :? :roll:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62524
boeda
Bird-watcher

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue May 10, 2016 8:26 pm

I was on Sgurr a Mhaoraich yesterday. South facing side of the shiel ridge almost completely clear. With the weather we are having in the NW at moment I wouldn't be surprised if it is all away by weekend.

The corries might be holding some but the ridge will be clear or any leftovers avoidable.

I did the riidge last June with far more snow cover and it was all avoidable.

Enjoy!!
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby boeda » Tue May 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Thanks, that's reassuring news! Looking forward to be there in a few days, despite the drop of temperature :D :D :D
boeda
Bird-watcher

Postby snowen » Fri May 13, 2016 12:10 am

Walked the ridge in fantastic sunshine on Monday. Just a few patches of soft snow with most of the ridge clear. No need for iceaxe or crampons.
snowen
Munro compleatist

Munros:178   Corbetts:12
Fionas:9   Donalds:40+15
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:7

Postby IanEzzi » Fri May 13, 2016 1:09 pm

We chickened out of a planned three dayer with bivvy over the north and south Glen Shiel ridges, seemed like the right decision on Saturday (and especially Saturday night!) but by Monday we were all enviously looking at the ridge wishing we were up there :(

Nickyrannoch, we must have crossed paths on Sgurr a'Mhaoriach, we did the circuit over Am Bathaich first and down via Sgurr Coire nan Eiricheallach. Three knackered looking guys suffering in the heat!
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby Wanderlust7 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Hi there just spent that last two there and completed the first five north of the A87, only snow in gullies and north facing slopes I never crossed any really but the cornices helped me out today in the clag.

I did not use or need an axe or crampons and you are straight over the road, but I can't comment on the 7 hills there.

You will love it up there and a great drive too. Pub is friendly and the food ok after a long day in the hills.

Enjoy.
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri May 13, 2016 10:05 pm

IanEzzi wrote:We chickened out of a planned three dayer with bivvy over the north and south Glen Shiel ridges, seemed like the right decision on Saturday (and especially Saturday night!) but by Monday we were all enviously looking at the ridge wishing we were up there :(

Nickyrannoch, we must have crossed paths on Sgurr a'Mhaoriach, we did the circuit over Am Bathaich first and down via Sgurr Coire nan Eiricheallach. Three knackered looking guys suffering in the heat!

Cool, I was with the missus think we spoke to you whilst we were on the final pull to the summit.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Postby IanEzzi » Sat May 14, 2016 10:31 am

Ah yeah, did one of you lose a pole basket? I found one and left it on top of a rock. Hope you enjoyed the bumslide down the one big remaining snow patch!
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby NickyRannoch » Sun May 15, 2016 12:04 am

Yes and we got it off the rock on the way down :lol: cheers
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion