walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

View ranger

View ranger

Postby Lmitch » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:55 am

hi

I am struggling getting to grips with View ranger. I purchase a route from WTH. It downloads and then I want to see map on OS1:25000. I then get asked to pay for tiles.

The original route download is 66 credits , surely that should include cost of tiles? If so how to I get to download the tiles without having to cough up more credits.

Cheers
Laura
Lmitch
Munro compleatist

Re: View ranger

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:12 am

I can't really help with your issue since I don't use ViewRanger, but it does look like routes and maps are separate purchases.

However ... 'm just stunned they are charging (assuming credits equates to real money) to download WH content that is free from WH :o

Or am I missing something here?
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby Rab414 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:09 am

Hi Laura,
I use View Ranger but never purchased anything yet. I find that often others have followed the same route and uploaded their tracks which you can often follow or download for free.
I have found though, the best thing is to get the GPX from WTH and use Google My Maps to import it to there for offline use.

I don’t like paying for things which can be got for free :D

Rab
Rab414
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   

Postby basscadet » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:52 am

If I download a track from WHs on my phone, it automatiacally asks me if I want to open in Viewranger, and it is completely free. Only ever done that a few times though..
Never really used viewranger to its full potential, as the maps seemed expensive, and already have a chip for my GPS with all the maps I need :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby celt54321 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi laura...iv been useing viewranger for years,you can use open cycle map which you can download over wi fi free.you then save the area youve downloaded to your phone for offline use.its best to download the whole of scotland so that any gpx file you get from this site will have a map to show its self on.you then download any route you want,switch on overlay in the viewranger settings and the route will show up on your saved map.this is all free.if you buy a proper os map from veiwranger it works the same way,but as you scroll to the end of your map,to an area you have not purchased it then shows up as tiles that you can buy to extend your existing map.so you might have downloaded a route that s not on the area youv bought,and thats why its asking you to buy the tiles.hope this helps in some way.i use open cycle map along with a paper os map for more detail and find this works well.
celt54321

Munros:50   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:3

Postby Wanderlust7 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:46 pm

First things first Laura stick with Viewranger it is fantastic when you get to grips with it. I had issues initially at the outset simply because my password at the time had a "/" in it.

I normally just download the gpx files from Walkhighlands, save them then press synchronise on my phone, it is very fast and slick. There are many things I guess you can do with it, including making your own tracks which I have done a few times. I did use their tech helpdesk and they were spot on.

The one thing I would strongly suggest that no one else has to so far; pay for the maps as a oner and not per tile which I imagine would likely be expensive. I waited a while and got annoying emails from them every few months where the cost went down to about £80 for HD quality 1:50K for the whole UK which is top drawer. Presently, I only have the 3 maps for Scotland on it, a Samsung S5 with a 32GB HDD, but they don't use too much room and you add and delete them with a few clicks. Also, I have 30 or 40 routes pre loaded on my mapping so if the weather changes or I change my mind at last notice they re sat there waiting. Once on Craig Meagidh I was in thick mist on snow and could hardly tell up or down left or right on a narrow ridge near the summit, all whilst walking with only a few metres either side and Viewranger helped me out greatly in that tight spot.

Hope this helps, again £80 to for a DVD to use on 5 devices is the best thing I have bought and used.
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby Lmitch » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi everyone who has responded.

Thank you. Plenty of ideas as to how to make the best use of the app and other options. more to play around with. Luckily I am happy with map and compass and GPS for back up! But it's good to keep up with all of these things.

happy walking
Laura
Lmitch
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion