walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Rain forecast this weekend - bloomin' typical!

Rain forecast this weekend - bloomin' typical!

Postby Tenbob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:11 pm

Brother-in-law up this week on holiday, 4 Mamores planned, camping planned, GPS co-ordinates input (took a while as I have the old e-trex), supplies bought then BAM! Turn on the TV this morning and rain is forecast throughout the whole of the UK on saturday. Don't want to waste the Mam's on such a 'potentially' lousy weekend so decided to choose Meall na Teanga & Sron a Choire Ghairbh instead. Have never set-up a tent while raining or on wet ground - previous camping always dry, but I'm sure we will manage.

So, the point of this post? Just wondering if anyone knows of good camping spots near Invergarry/Laggan? My OS map shows camping/caravan spot just to west of Invergarry but would rather a bit of seclusion.
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Rain forecast this weekend - bloomin' typical!

Postby SecretSquirrel » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:46 pm

Tenbob wrote:Brother-in-law up this week on holiday, 4 Mamores planned, camping planned, GPS co-ordinates input (took a while as I have the old e-trex), supplies bought then BAM! Turn on the TV this morning and rain is forecast throughout the whole of the UK on saturday. Don't want to waste the Mam's on such a 'potentially' lousy weekend so decided to choose Meall na Teanga & Sron a Choire Ghairbh instead. Have never set-up a tent while raining or on wet ground - previous camping always dry, but I'm sure we will manage.

So, the point of this post? Just wondering if anyone knows of good camping spots near Invergarry/Laggan? My OS map shows camping/caravan spot just to west of Invergarry but would rather a bit of seclusion.

The site to the west of Invergarry is Faichemard Farm Campsite. We stayed there a few weeks ago and were quite impressed. Its a small site with good pitches and facilities. Also very quiet and peaceful since its an adults only site :D
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby Tenbob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:52 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:The site to the west of Invergarry is Faichemard Farm Campsite. We stayed there a few weeks ago and were quite impressed. Its a small site with good pitches and facilities. Also very quiet and peaceful since its an adults only site :D

Cheers for the response. Was looking for something more secluded but if push comes to shove. How much for a site?
Tenbob

Postby SecretSquirrel » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Tenbob wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:The site to the west of Invergarry is Faichemard Farm Campsite. We stayed there a few weeks ago and were quite impressed. Its a small site with good pitches and facilities. Also very quiet and peaceful since its an adults only site :D

Cheers for the response. Was looking for something more secluded but if push comes to shove. How much for a site?

I think it was £15 per night including 2 adults
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby Tenbob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:19 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:I think it was £15 per night including 2 adults

Reasonable :D Will keep it in mind, cheers. Originally wanted to camp at Glen Etive but that's over an hours drive from Invergarry, mind you if we finish the hills early enough will prob head to original plan - keeping an eye on weather that is!
Tenbob

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:56 pm

I'd vote for the campsite as well - its a good one thats worth the dosh, but you could get a tent up in the woods by the loch near well of the 7 heads - the midges would be awful though, so wouldn't really think you would have a very nice evening :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Tenbob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:26 pm

basscadet wrote:the midges would be awful though, so wouldn't really think you would have a very nice evening :?

Even with the weather which is forecast?
Tenbob

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:58 pm

Tenbob wrote:
basscadet wrote:the midges would be awful though, so wouldn't really think you would have a very nice evening :?

Even with the weather which is forecast?

Looks like the wind will be around the 4mph mark - probably not enough :? Rain really doesn't discourage them the way the tales say, in fact they come in the tent to get out of the rain :(

Good brolly weather though, so at least the walking needn't involve the sweatiness of gortex :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby Tenbob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:10 pm

For months I have been planning a weekend to remember, and I can tell already it will be one to forget! I work weekends so had to book this off as a holiday. Plus, with the bro-in-law here on his hols it has to be done this week if we want to bag another couple. I am dreading setting this tent up in the p***ing rain!
Tenbob

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:02 pm

Och I do it all the time and the doing it is never as bad as the thought of it.. It will be fine :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby scoob999 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:59 pm

Looks dry but cloudy on Saturday for the Loch Lochy hills, you might get lucky and get a view :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:48 pm

For secluded a great camping spot at Fedden ruins but a bit of a walk in.
Nearby I would recommend the campsite in Roy bridge (bunroy). Couple of pubs which is a good poor weather activity :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Tenbob » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:09 am

basscadet wrote:Och I do it all the time and the doing it is never as bad as the thought of it.. It will be fine :D

True :D

Sunset tripper wrote:For secluded a great camping spot at Fedden ruins but a bit of a walk in.
Nearby I would recommend the campsite in Roy bridge (bunroy). Couple of pubs which is a good poor weather activity :D

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for that, the thought of the pub lifts the spirits!

scoob999 wrote:Looks dry but cloudy on Saturday for the Loch Lochy hills, you might get lucky and get a view :D

Yeah, seems the forecast has moved in my favour. I don't mind if it is cloudy, much prefer that over rain. A view would be nice from the tops but I'm not counting on it.
Tenbob

Postby prog99 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:58 pm

Hope you got out, inversion on aonach mor today :) Totally unexpected but rather nice.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Tenbob » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:29 pm

Well, I did get out - all on my tod. Bro-in-law said he needed new boots and couldn't afford them. Oh well, very overcast with zero views from either summit but at least that is another two bagged. I'm still not up to my pre-fatherhood-fitness levels and I found this quite demanding. Steep up, very steep at times and the same in descent. I'm not a huge fan of same walk-out as walk-in and with the walk back from the bealach you could see how far you had to go - and my legs were crying out for a rest! Covered approx 21.6Km and I think the round took me 7.5hrs - but, yay, I didn't get wet. Well, not from the rain at least, I was sweating buckets!

I decided I wanted to pitch my tent up in Glen Etive after all, so made my way along in the car and the rain rolled in. Mega-disappointment! However, someone was watching over me cos as soon as I parked up and switched the car off, the rain stopped! Hallelujah! So, quickly got the tent up, got all my stuff in the tent and got the Trangia on for some tea and hot food. I was awake in the tent for all of 1 hour. Fell asleep at 10 and woke up at 6.50am! There was some rolling and turning throughout the night but all in all quite comfy. Used the trangia again in the morning for coffee and porridge then I was on my merry way back to Dunfermline.

All in all, a fantastic day/night/day and after surviving my first ever solo camp I will defo be doing it again. I will get round to doing a proper report with pics at some point but I have prob another 80 or so to do before this one!
Tenbob

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion