walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Pennine way

Pennine way

Postby Guinessman » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:34 pm

Doing the PW from the 1st August this year as I fancy a summer backpack and figure the midges will be less impactive the further south.

Any PW persons on here or lurking. I've seen a few trip reports on here. I don't intend using maps, I've got the Trailbreaker and Cicerone books which has OS prints. I did the CWT last year and reckon I could have done without the Harveys maps. I reckon to carry 3 days of food at a time, reading up there seems a load of shops for restocking

Here is my itinerary:
Day 1. Train to Edale arriving at 1pm. Walk to Crowden 16 miles camp or wildcamp.
Day2. Crowden to White Horse PH 17.5 miles, camp or wildcamp.
Day 3. White Horse PH to Ponden 17.5 miles Camp.
Day 4. Ponden to Malham 21.7 miles camp.
Day 5.Malham to Horton. 15 miles. camp.
Day 6.Horton to Thwaite. 22 miles camp at Usha gap.
Day 7.Thwaite to Middleton in Teesdale 22.7 miles camp.
Day 8. Middleton in Teesdale to be decided, Gregs hut over high route avoiding Dufton 23.5 miles.
Day 9. Gregs hut to Knarsdale 16.8 miles camp.
Day 10. Knarsdale to Winshields farm 16 miles camp.
Day 11. Winshields to Bellingham 15.3 miles.
Day 12.Bellingham to Byness 15 miles camp.
Day 13 Either Bellingham to KY 25 miles or split and camp nr to Auchope hut and do the remainder on the next morning.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Pennine way

Postby andy63 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:11 am

I think you might have problems on the Pennine Way without a map. It's a complicated winding route, often going through built up areas and farmland where there are limited rights of way.
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Postby EileanB » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:20 pm

We managed pretty comfortably with the 2 AZ map books + the Trailblazer, not the whole book, just the sketchmap pages. The trouble with the Cicerone guide is that you don't have much map either side of the trail to sort yourself out if you do get off the route.
EileanB
Walker

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:26 pm

You might care to read Simon Armitage's "Walking Home". He does the Pennine Way from North to South and manages to misplace the route in the clag on the higher hills. Gets there in the end.
Also "One Man and His Bog" is salutary. Barry Pilton managed to spend the first day going round in a complete circle back to where he started. :crazy:
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby raykilhams » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi Guinessman
Did the PW a couple of years ago , there are one or two areas where you need to keep your wits about you but no real probs. As for midges , it might be further south but I can assure you that the little blighters are there in force , so be prepared .
It is a great walk , so go and enjoy it .
Ps Beware a number of villages have no pubs or shops even though they may appear on OS maps.
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Tinman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:06 am

I walked the Pennine Way back in 1986 so is now quite a distant memory.

However, in addition to the various maps, we did take Wainright's Pennine Way illustrated guide with us which proved very helpful. Not only in terms of negotiating the more intricate parts of the walk but also in adding interest by providing the history and so on of the various towns and surrounding areas etc.

I appreciate much has changed during the intervening period but, nevertheless, you may find it a very useful addition to the load.

Not sure if you get your free half at the Border Hotel anymore but it tasted very special even though it never touched the sides.

Good luck and enjoy.

Tinman
Tinman
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:134   

Postby Paderlan » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 pm

Hi,
Just got back from walking and backpacking Edale to Horton. I carried the Trailblazer guide and the Harvey map - probably didn't need the Harvey; you would have to try quite hard to lose the path on the moors as it is pretty well trodden, and the bogs are mostly 'follow the yellow slab road'. You are more likely to get lost near towns like Hebden Bridge where there are lots of footpath junctions - the detail maps in the Trailblazer are good here. As for midges - take a head net, they are just as vicious as the WHW ones!
Paderlan
Walker

Munros:174   Corbetts:91
Fionas:42   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   Islands:14

Postby Guinessman » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks for the replies, I've bought the A to Z maps.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion