walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cape Wrath Trail walk North or South

Cape Wrath Trail walk North or South

Postby lochlaggan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:53 pm

I'm hoping to do the Cape Wrath Trail in September or October and it seems most people do it South to North but I rather like to do do things differently so I'm considering starting at Cape Wrath.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts about doing this a little differently.

Cheers

Grant
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Re: Cape Wrath Trail walk North or South

Postby Andy J » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:11 pm

The CWT has no set, official route - so you can walk it in any direction you choose. Personally, south to north feels "uphill" and more natural.

Reasons for walking south to north:
1. The northern sections (particularly after Ulllapool) are harder and more remote than the southern sections. By starting from the south you get to acclimatise.
2. Cape Wrath is a more attractive and motivational destination than Fort William or Glenfinnan.
3. You won't meet many people doing the trail, but those that you do will be going the same way.

Reasons for walking north to south:
1. Getting away from the Cape can be a problem if the weather is bad and the ferry isn't running. Once you've started you'll have that problem behind you.
2. The journey back to civilisation is quicker form FW than the Cape.
3. You won't feel obliged to walk with people you meet because they'll all be going the other way.
4. Good debating topic for those long, wet bothy nights when the fire won't light.

Have fun, whichever direction you go. Its a great walk.

Andy
Andy J
Scrambler

Postby willsdad » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:10 pm

It may work out better to do it north to south as you will then have a definite date for hitting the Cape and you can guarantee access.

Providing you are flexible on your start date that is..... :?
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby Old Stag » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:00 pm

If you want the prevailing wind and rain in your face most of the time, then North to South is the way to go!

I've done it South to North twice. The ferry over to Ardgour and the walk up Cona Glen and through the arches of Glenfinnan is a nice atmospheric start. And having a last overnight at Sandwood Bay before walking to the lighthouse is a great finish.
Old Stag

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:50 pm

Old Stag wrote:If you want the prevailing wind and rain in your face most of the time, then North to South is the way to .

Doesn't necessarily prevail. Daughter and I cycled Lands End to J o G and it blew against us almost the whole way. We talked to the B & B guy at Kinloch hourn once and he said that loads of people bail out of the trek there. Not sure where the equivalent place would be doing it N to S.but you need to consider how easy your options would be.We met a guy there who carried on, though whacked and wet, and next time we saw him told us he had bailed at Shield Bridge (good bus service.)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:37 pm

I have never done this walk, but from a motivational point of view I cannot imagine that Fort William is a more attractive destination than Cape Wrath :)

I love Cape Wrath, it's one of the places I keep on talking about to long-suffering friends and colleagues. I can't imagine a better end to a long walk, whereas Fort William..... nah, it's just a town - you want to leave all that behind, not walk inexorably towards it.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Andy J » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:54 pm

@BobMcBob

I would personally start (or finish) at the monument at Glenfinnan. As far as I know the only reason that the stage from FW to Glenfinnan exists is to link-up with the West Highland Way.

@Sgurr

> We talked to the B & B guy at Kinloch hourn once and he said that loads of people bail out of the trek there.

One of the owners of the Inchnadamph Hotel told me that that, at the end of the autumn, they have a whole shelf-full of unclaimed resupply parcels. They scoff the chocolate and use the dehydrated food for winter climbing trips when the hotel is closed.
Andy J
Scrambler

Postby willsdad » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:01 pm

Andy J wrote:@BobMcBob

I would personally start (or finish) at the monument at Glenfinnan. As far as I know the only reason that the stage from FW to Glenfinnan exists is to link-up with the West Highland Way.

@Sgurr

> We talked to the B & B guy at Kinloch hourn once and he said that loads of people bail out of the trek there.

One of the owners of the Inchnadamph Hotel told me that that, at the end of the autumn, they have a whole shelf-full of unclaimed resupply parcels. They scoff the chocolate and use the dehydrated food for winter climbing trips when the hotel is closed.

:clap:
If they are even considering bailing out by Kinloch Hourn, they will definitely bail out at Shiel Bridge after the Forcan Ridge.... :crazy:
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby lochlaggan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:44 pm

So I'm thinking South to North now and particularly Andy thanks very much for your thoughts. I do rather like the idea of meeting people along the way and possibly spending time with different people on a similar journey. Also the idea of getting into a routine on familiar group is a good idea so South to North it is.

Cheers guys :clap: :clap: :clap:

Grant
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion