walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

An idea regarding wild camping in skye

An idea regarding wild camping in skye

Postby Itamar724 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:36 pm

Hello,

I will be visiting Scotland for two week in August Including the West Highland Way and the Isle of Skye. Since Isle of skye accomadation is all booked up, I figured I'd stay at campsites.
Then I thought to myself, if I'm not staying in a b&b, hostel etc. I might as well wild camp next to one of the many beautiful places on the island: Fairy Glen, Fairy pools or the Old Man of Storr.
This way I will be able to explore the area early in the morning while there are not many people.
Is that possible? what do you think could be problematic about this idea?

Thank you very much,
Sincerely Yours,
Itamar Rabinowitz
Itamar724
Scrambler

Re: An idea regarding wild camping in skye

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:09 pm

You might find a nice spot, but the midges will eat you alive before you have a chance to enjoy the solitude - don't do it!

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:42 pm

To be fair the midges will eat you alive on campsites as well :) Finding a nice spot next to a major attraction will be hard as those places are always busy with tourists. Camping in Glen Brittle (Fairy Pools) outside of the campsite is strongly discouraged (there are signs everywhere - I don't know the legal basis for it but I have never seen a tent down there).

All that said, I'd try it, but always keep in mind where the campsites are and understand that, on the day, the campsite might actually be the best choice and just make a decision on the day.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:05 pm

Glen Brittle is a rather lovely campsite with the sea on one hand and the southern cuillin on the other. Fairy Pools is one of the most visited places on Skye so you are unlikely to get the benefits of wild camping around there :wink:

If you wanted to climb up to the Storr and head off towards Hartaval, there are places to wild camp between the hills, which would give you great views along the Trotternish Ridge
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Renegade Scot » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:31 am

Spent the night at Glenbrittle campsite to do a bit of exploring. Then on second day left the car at Glebrittle as you can walk round to the Rubha an Dùnain peninsula to the old settlements and Bronze age cairn for a wild camp. Loads of areas around there you can camp. Takes about an hour or two to walk round to it. Also a good walk circuit if you are staying at the campsite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubha_an_D%C3%B9nain
Renegade Scot
Munro compleatist

Postby basscadet » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:36 am

We camped in corrie Mhadaidh - just at the far end of the fairy pools recently - as soon as you are passed the pools, there is no-one. We also camped at Camasunary, although there is a bothy, so no need for the tent probably and less midges inside. You'll probably get somewhere up past Fairy glen too - check geograph for spots, although be wary - I have been heading for a spot that looked grassy in a photo, but now has been swamped with bracken, many times :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:17 am

Itamar724 wrote:Hello,

I will be visiting Scotland for two week in August Including the West Highland Way and the Isle of Skye. Since Isle of Skye accommodation is all booked up, I figured I'd stay at campsites.
Then I thought to myself, if I'm not staying in a b&b, hostel etc. I might as well wild camp next to one of the many beautiful places on the island: Fairy Glen, Fairy pools or the Old Man of Storr.
This way I will be able to explore the area early in the morning while there are not many people.
Is that possible? what do you think could be problematic about this idea?

Thank you very much,
Sincerely Yours,
Itamar Rabinowitz

It is not very nice for others to visit such places and find someone camping there. We would much rather you did not defaecate on our beauty spots.The land may look wild and unused to outsiders, but is it grazed by livestock - sheep and cattle. Beyond Balnaknock (aka 'Fairy Glen') is a farm with ranging livestock, I am doubtful if the farmer would appreciate you making yourself at home there. Sheep graze the moors around the fairy pools and the hillsides around the Storr. There are good campsites at Sligachan and Glen Brittle. Best camp somewhere that catches a breeze what with the biting insects.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby CharlesT » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:50 am

I'd agree with Caberfeidh, Glenbrittle is an excellent campsite with pretty good facilities and large enough to find a quietish spot. You can also park right next to your tent in some parts. The breeze off the sea seems to help to keep the midges at bay somewhat and it's a lovely location and a good base for the southern Cuillin. Wherever you go on Skye though don't forget the insect repellant and head net. :lol: And try not to stand still for very long or you'll be breakfast, lunch and dinner to our little friends. :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby basscadet » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Why is everyone so obsessed with pooping when it comes to wild camping? It is possible to spend 10 hours in one location and get a quick kip without needing a poo y'know! Same as it is possible to visit a beauty spot for only a couple of hours and happen to need.. Absolutely ridiculous to try and plan any kind of trip around when you may or may not need the toilet :crazy:
It is over an hours drive from Glen Brittle to Uig FFS!
I realise that some folk are irresponsible and don't care about what they leave behind, but I believe you should think the best of people and give them the benefit of the doubt until they do something irresponsible.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:55 pm

basscadet wrote: I believe you should think the best of people and give them the benefit of the doubt until they do something irresponsible.

I note you do not say "Unless they do something irresponsible"! :lol:
People crap all over the place- it's awful.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Somerled87 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi Itamar,

Oisgill Bay or Lorgill Bay on Duirinish are great spots for a wild camp and can be combined with visits to Neist Point and the MacLeods Maidens respectively. Eerie sense of history and plenty of driftwood for fires. August you'll have a decent chance of seeing/hearing whales in the Minch too.

On Trotternish, by Loch Cuithir by the Diatomite road from Lealt is also nice. I've never attempted the Hill of the Red Fox from here but always fancied it. You are in the shade in the evening here though... Also by the shore at Lealt falls, taking the path to the south of the waterfall. I've always fancied camping there - the view on a clear morning would be phenomenal.

Further south on the island, camping by Camas Malag Bay by Kilbride has been a good spot for me in the past, with a nice view of Blaven. But for a better cleared village campsite park at Suardal and hike south over the hill to Borreraig on Loch Eishort, there's a path on the OS map - a perfect spot.

Camasunary nice too and loads of great walking available to you. Perhaps a bit busier than my other suggestions. That said I'm often surprised by how quiet Skye can be even in in the middle of summer once you're away from the hotspots. Fairy pools are far too overcrowded, so an early morning start is a smart idea.

Hoping you get good weather!
Somerled87
Mountain Walker

Munros:179   Corbetts:20
Fionas:15   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:12   Islands:26

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:29 pm

basscadet wrote: It is possible to spend 10 hours in one location and get a quick kip without needing a poo y'know!

Please tell me your secret, as I have needed one within 5 minutes of my first cuppa every day for the last 20-odd years :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Clairfying a point

Postby Itamar724 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:58 pm

When I wrote that I wish to "wild camp next to one of the many beautiful places" I didn't mean do do so right in the middle of the sight- I have no intention to stake my tent to the edge of the fairy pool...
I meant only to stay in a relatively short walking distance -can also be a kilometer away.

I didn't really understand what reason I have not to wild camp near one of the aforementioned sites (not in the site itself). I think it can be a really special experince to walk around the fairy pool/glen while there are no people there early in the morning.
Also, if I get there late afternoon when there are not many people and I will start walking early in the morning when there are not many people- I won't be damaging anyone's experience... (also, I do not have a car- only a tent)

In sum- I didn't really understand what is bad about the idea and why staying in a far away campsite is a better option (excepet showers, store etc.). I will be very happy to hear your answers regarding this subject.
Itamar724
Scrambler

Re: Clairfying a point

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:29 am

Itamar724 wrote:
In sum- I didn't really understand what is bad about the idea and why staying in a far away campsite is a better option (excepet showers, store etc.). I will be very happy to hear your answers regarding this subject.

There is nothing wrong with your idea.
I would not recommend camping by the roadside on skye (or anywhere for that matter) but camping a kilometre from the road or popular spot you are being way more considerate than most wild campers on Skye. All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sjiep » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:41 pm

edit: didn't mean to post in this thread. silly firefox bugging out on me and apparently than opening another, previously visited thread made me comment in this :\
Sjiep
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion