walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Piles of Stones

Re: Piles of Stones

Postby Skyelines » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:22 pm

Landsoul wrote:
Skyelines wrote:As soon as I leave the gate to my property I am on someone else's land that may be publicly or privately owned.
I therefore have a responsibility firstly to the owners to only do such things as I am permitted to do by law or by permission of the owner and secondly to all who may legitimately have access to that land for their utility and enjoyment.

You obviously don't understand freedom in Scotland. I feel sad for you that you feel the need apply 'rules' to enjoying being outdoors.

I thought I wasn't going to need to add any further comments but as you and others have completely misunderstood what I am trying to express I suppose I must say something more.

The law (statute law) either grants rights as in the Land Reform Act which can be freely exercised or prohibits or restricts activities within certain parameters.

Outside of Statute law Common law effectively gives us the right to do whatever we please unless it has been prevented by laws established by cases taken through the courts.

Elements of both statute and common law protect the owners of property which I respect when I go on someone else's land , i.e. when I leave my garden gate.

However as noted the basis of Common Law gives us freedom to do anything that has not been prohibited or restricted, a freedom that I freely exercise.

The other aspect of being able to exercise this freedom is one of common humanity and to respect everyone else who shares the same freedoms.

In doing this I choose not to do things that may diminish someone else's enjoyment of the landscape because I care about other people's enjoyment as much as my own.

Apart from the laws, Statute and Common, that we are all required to keep this is the only other "rule" that restricts my freedom in the outdoors.

I'm sorry if my "rule " concern for others makes you sad.

Can I suggest you go back a few posts above and read what I was up to in the 1970's before the Land Reform Act granted us a legal status for the freedom I was exercising then.

Back then a lot of places were far more pleasant to be in than they are now.
Is that because people understand freedom in Scotland ?
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Moriarty » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:48 pm

Landsoul wrote:
Skyelines wrote:As soon as I leave the gate to my property I am on someone else's land that may be publicly or privately owned.
I therefore have a responsibility firstly to the owners to only do such things as I am permitted to do by law or by permission of the owner and secondly to all who may legitimately have access to that land for their utility and enjoyment.

You obviously don't understand freedom in Scotland. I feel sad for you that you feel the need apply 'rules' to enjoying being outdoors.

The bampots that cut down trees, behave antisocially and leave all their litter behind in places like Lomond shores, Glen Etive and the Trossachs believe that there are no rules.

That's why we're facing an erosion of our legal rights.

Are you one of those folks? Or do you have a set of rules/guidelines/philosophies that you follow while enjoying the outdoors?
Moriarty

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:07 pm

Look, I'm really sorry, I feel responsible for this. Can't we all just drink some wine now and make it stop?
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:04 am

BobMcBob wrote:Look, I'm really sorry, I feel responsible for this. Can't we all just drink some wine now and make it stop?

Imagine if you got stuck in a bothy with them.... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Landsoul » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:20 am

Moriarty wrote:The bampots that cut down trees, behave antisocially and leave all their litter behind in places like Lomond shores, Glen Etive and the Trossachs believe that there are no rules.

That's why we're facing an erosion of our legal rights.

Are you one of those folks? Or do you have a set of rules/guidelines/philosophies that you follow while enjoying the outdoors?

No, I apply common sense. I've been living and walking in the highlands my whole life and haven't so much as dropped a sweet wrapper or cut down anything. I take a bag with me specifically for picking up litter I find stuffed under the summit cairns. I have nothing but massive respect for my country.

I do however, applying this common decency of course, believe that there are no 'rules' when it comes to being outdoors (I'm strictly talking about mountain terrain in Scotland here - not people's private property, obviously) and think that people who think they have to live by rules in the wilderness are missing the whole point of freedom.

Every being on this earth should have the right to absolute freedom and I do not take for granted that I have been lucky enough to be one of those and feel I must exercise that right and take advantage of it as others are not so lucky to do so.

Yes it's a damn shame there are those who have zero respect and destroy beautiful places, like the ones you mention. And that these people are putting strain on our rights to roam. But let me say this, if our right to roam was revoked, I would still walk the hills of Scotland regardless of what rich southern land owners say. No one owns the mountains in my opinion and I will continue to be in them, regardless of any law, for as long as I am able as I have never caused any harm or intentional damage to our land or been irresponsible in it - again, I'm taking about mountain terrain in Scotland here (not that I have caused harm or damage anywhere else!)

I just sometimes feel that people try to put their everyday rules and regulations on their, and other peoples, experience of the outdoors and are missing the point of the pure freedom and joy it brings. Surely common sense and respect for the land and its wildlife is all you need.
Landsoul

Munros:282   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:38 am

Trying to think.jpg
Can't think straight...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby CharlesT » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:17 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Trying to think.jpg

Well done Cab...
"Let's go get stoned..." Joe Cocker
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Moriarty » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:56 pm

Landsoul wrote:No, I apply common sense. I've been living and walking in the highlands my whole life and haven't so much as dropped a sweet wrapper or cut down anything. I take a bag with me specifically for picking up litter I find stuffed under the summit cairns. I have nothing but massive respect for my country...............................Surely common sense and respect for the land and its wildlife is all you need.

Pretty much exactly what I expected you to say. You're a law-abiding citizen who respects others and the environment.

Society and rules and Law seem a long away in the Outdoors and for someone like yourself (or me for that matter) there is the lovely illusion that they are distant enough not to exist. The Law touches lightly on the naturally obedient.

Delusional of course, but pleasant.

Not quite sure why you chose to lay into someone who acknowledges the reality that Society, Law and rules still exist when we're outdoors. Unless you're breaking the Law/rules then trumpeting your outrage at their existence is pretty meaningless.
Moriarty

Postby Sgurr » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Wok de dog » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:38 am

I like them.
Wok de dog
Mountain Walker

Munros:200   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1

Postby teaandpies » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:27 pm

It took me a while to balance this one :lol:

teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:50 am

teaandpies wrote:It took me a while to balance this one :lol:

That really makes me want to give it a push...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:50 pm

The piles of stones that proliferate certain places are of mild annoyance to me but don't compare to the actions of certain landowners and their so called management of the land. Ecosystems destroyed watercourses poisoned.....I know what I find worse.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:21 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:The piles of stones that proliferate certain places are of mild annoyance to me but don't compare to the actions of certain landowners and their so called management of the land. Ecosystems destroyed watercourses poisoned.....I know what I find worse.

neil vegetable rights and peace.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:54 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:The piles of stones that proliferaote certain places are of mild annoyance to me but don't compare to the actions of certain landowners and their so called management of the land. Ecosystems destroyed watercourses poisoned.....I know what I find worse.

neil vegetable rights and peace.jpg

:D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion