walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Approaching Foinaven by bike

Approaching Foinaven by bike

Postby Lackadaisy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:54 pm

Hi folks,

I've recently set my sights on Foinaven and was wondering if it was possible to speed up the approach by cycling along the Strath Dionard path (and returning that way). I read somewhere that cycling is not permitted on the estate and wondered if anyone could confirm?

Also, if I opted for the full traverse instead, can anyone recommend which direction to take... North to South, or South to North?

thanks!
Lackadaisy

Munros:181   Corbetts:34
Fionas:6   

Re: Approaching Foinaven by bike

Postby prog99 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:04 pm

You could come in from the south. The vehicle track goes in much further than the map suggests.

We walked it as a there and back including Meall Horn. Can't remember why we had no bikes now given its one of our other pastimes.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Lackadaisy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:18 pm

That's great, thanks for your reply :)
Lackadaisy

Postby Sgurr » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:35 pm

We had no problems biking down the Strath Dionard path
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Lackadaisy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks, that's good to know.. and also that there isn't a sign expressly forbidding bikes from using the path. Great report by the way! :)
Lackadaisy

Postby IanEzzi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:09 pm

As part of a Cape Wrath trial by bike attempt, I pushed/rode up and over the Bealach Horn path and descended to Loch Dionard. It was a pretty grumpy hike-a-bike along the south shore but then the track back down to the main road was pleasant, easy going.

If I was going for a full traverse using the bike, I'd cycle up the Strath Dionard track, walk the south bank of the loch and up to the Bealach Horn track, then traverse and descend. Although it was a frustrating experience with the bike, the south bank of the loch did have some interesting scenery, including a very 'lost world-ish' waterfall cascading from a wee hanging corrie on Fionaven's flanks.

Disclaimer: it was too long ago to remember exactly what the south bank of the loch was like, it might be unpleasant going even without a heavily laden bike. Don't blame me if it is! 8)
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby Lackadaisy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Haha! Thanks for the alternative route suggestion. I have a pretty basic bike more suited to roads than full-on mountain terrain so I'm keen to stick to good, well developed paths! :)
Lackadaisy

Postby Walk cycle » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:24 pm

I would opt for the South to North. I went from the A838 near Rhiconich and up Ceann Garbh, along the ridge and back. However if I could have had a transport connection I definitely would have started at Achfary. I found a route from Loch Eribol too in Great Mountain Days in Scotland - Dan Bailey. Whatever route it's an awesome day out.
Walk cycle
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Lackadaisy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:15 pm

Thanks for your recommendation! It's really great to hear how other people have done it and and to get their opinion! Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to reply! :)
It's now a toss up between full traverse from Achfary to Gualin House and biking it in and out via Strath Dionard :)
Lackadaisy

Postby EmilyD » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:34 am

I cycled from Gulain house last month, and discoevered that the path is full of large, loose rocks. It wasn't much fun, but it got us there faster than walkiing, just about. If you don't have a mountain bike, it would be pretty interesting.
EmilyD
Stravaiging

Munros:251   Corbetts:42
Donalds:6

Postby Lackadaisy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks Emily.. as it happens, I did the Foinaven traverse yesterday- cycled from Gualin House to Achfary first and walked out via the Strath Dionard path. It was a pretty gruelling bike ride in the wind and I started the walk knackered, but I did note the state of the path in the way out and thought it would be pretty uncomfortable on my non-mountain bike! :lol:
Lackadaisy

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion