walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Advice on Combining 3 Long Distance Walks

Advice on Combining 3 Long Distance Walks

Postby seking16 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:21 pm

Hi there!

I am new to this site and am looking for some advice on the following plan:

West Highland Way (extra day for Ben Nevis climb) + Great Glen Way + Speyside Way = good idea?

I'm hoping I don't come across like a naive idiot...not too much anyway.
I am 22 and the most extensive walking trip I've ever taken was my Silver Duke of Edinburgh Expedition - on which I managed to get the team lost :clap:
But never mind that! I would like to travel and have, for a long time, felt frustrated that I have barely seen any of Scotland despite having lived there for the majority of my life. Right now I have the time (just working terrible bar job that I can quit easily), the desire and some savings to make this trip possible. What's holding me back is a lack of knowledge on how to actually pull it off.

So advice on the logistics of the whole thing would be fab. How does one go about organising a trip like this? I would want to do a mixture of wild & campsite camping - do I need to book campsite space in advance? (late October/ early November time)
I would be going solo so any advice on safety or precautions I should take. I'm not worried about other people, rather I am worried that I will injure myself somehow and die a slow and painful death because I was unable to get help.
Advice on how much to pack and essential items I should bring?
Advice on how much food and what type of food. Fortunately each 'Way' ends in a decent sized town or city so I'm not too concerned about restocking the cupboards so to speak.
Does anyone know of any online sources to help learn about map reading/compass using etc?

Also, any advice on how to explain this idea to my mother would be greatly appreciated hah. I don't think she will warm to it.

After reading this back I think I do think I sound a bit young and stupid but, hey ho! Also, I understand that a lot of the information I seek is already out there, but I figured I would go straight to the source where people have walked the same routes I'm planning.

Thank you very, very much for any help! I really appreciate anyone who even reads this post.
Thanks! :D
seking16
Scrambler

Re: Advice on Combining 3 Long Distance Walks

Postby IanEzzi » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:37 am

Sounds fun! People will have their own opinions on the various trails, personally I wouldn't rush to the Great Glen Way but as part of a bigger trip I think it would be a great idea.

I think you've got the right idea though, I'm constantly delighted by how much more of Scotland there is still to see, I've just cancelled a trip to the Alps (financial reasons) but think I'm actually more excited by the 'budget' alernative of 7 days on Skye 8)

You should absolutely persist with your plans though, once you're more confident the biggy awaits - The Cape Wrath Trail!

Your choice of trails is sensible though, mostly well signposted, relatively well trodden. I wouldn't be expecting many campsites still to be open in November though... Some hostels would be though, Crianlarich and Glen Nevis are year round last I checked.

Ben Nevis in November could be interesting though, lack of light, god knows what sort of weather, definitely demands a good idea of appropriate clothing and knowing if conditions (snow and ice) are perhaps beyond your abilities.

The simplest safety precaution (and the one most likely to reassure your mum!) is daily, or at least as regular as possible, call ins. It's important to recognise lack of reception and possible battery issues with your phone, so perhaps plan to call in wherever there is a phone box (think they're usually marked on maps, most hotels will have one in the lobby as well). If you do injure yourself, you will be carrying everything you need (tent, clothes, stove, food) to survive for a few days until you're missed, and hopefully someone will know your last know location and intended destination.

I don't pack a crazy amount of 'extra' food for most backpacking trips under a week, although yours would be longer than that. Having said that, you'll be passing through enough towns and villages to supplement whatever you're carrying (with chips mostly!).

A rough daily allowance for me would be:

Tea/coffee and a large Stoats porridge bar for breakfast, maybe a satsuma if I can be bothered carrying them.
Lots of snacks during the day, fig rolls, nuts, jelly babies, chocolate
Lunch - a mixture of oatcakes, babybells, salami (take a whole one and chop hunks off, looks manly and tough haha!) or maybe even a couple of mini pork pies, if I can be bothered carrying them
Dinner - A Tesco cous cous with some olives/feta tossed through, dead simple and cheap. Alternatively pasta and pesto (be VERY careful how you carry the pesto, a screw top tupperware flask in several baggies seems to be the only way).
Dessert - More chocolate, hot chocolate/tea and or whisky.

You'll know yourself how hungry you get, personally I almost have to force myself to keep eating at times, little and often is definitely the best strategy.

Loads more stuff but I'm sure others will fill in the gaps!
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:07 am

Joining the SYHA https://www.syha.org.uk/ will give you access to comfort, warmth, showers and safety for the occasional relief from damp cold camping, and for less than £20 for a bunk it's good value. Also cheap to join. I'd steer clear of Ben Nevis, it's for another time when you have more experience. October is a good time to do these treks as the midgies will die away with the frosts and you'll have lovely cool autumnal days to walk in. As previously said; phone home a lot to ensure no-one is worried about you. Your crappy bar job sounds like a waste of time; have you considered working in an outdoor centre? A good book for learning all sorts of hillwalking stuff, not just map and compass work is Hillwalking and Scrambling by Steve Ashton. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hill-Walking-S ... eve+ashton
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:18 am

seking16 wrote:Also, any advice on how to explain this idea to my mother would be greatly appreciated hah. I don't think she will warm to it.

Ask her if she would like to come too. She won't, but at least it will give her the idea that you don't regard it impossible for a middle aged woman, and therefore safer. Or you could actually get friends to walk with you for the odd day or two, that might set her mind at rest.

You don't come from a town named H********n? by any chance? My grandson from there (aged 22) did his D of E in the Keilder forest. They told the debriefer "It was all right until X got us lost." He replied" Now, come on lads, you're a team, you can't blame just X for getting you lost." "OK, it was all right until X and Y got us lost."

Most phone boxes now only work on some sort of plastic card, so take a phone card. Coins are now out.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby kazuhart » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:39 pm

I have been thinking about doing the West highland way with the east highland way and then finally the speyside way. Can I ask how you are linking the great glen way with the speyside way?
kazuhart
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:18   

Postby Owca » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:50 pm

I've done the WHW into the Great Glen... pretty easy, but I would skip the first part of the Great Glen - it's boring, basically walking through the town, and non stop on hard surface, which was not the best for my feet. I actually didn't finish it - when in Fort Augustus I decided to cut it short and jump to Skye ;-) it was just too... boring (sorry!), I prefer more dramatic vistas.

I can advice paying for a key to the Canal facilities - you can do it at the Canal offices. It gives you access to showers and toilets along the way, they give you map where to find them.
Owca
Mountaineer

Fionas:2   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:21 pm

West Highland Way + East Highland Way + Speyside Way might be another option for you - EHW is more scenic than GGW and they actually link up properly.

I would go a bit sooner if you can: by November the weather can be pretty poor and you will have 14 hours of darkness a night to cope with.

For learning navigation, get yourself a copy of this book: http://micronavigation.com/the-book/
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby seking16 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Thank you so much to everyones replies!

After much consideration I am thinking of forgoing the GGW and perhaps going the EHW instead but really I have no clue other than doing the WHW...

IanEzzi - thank you for such a long and descriptive response! Really helpful stuff and made me feel very positive about the whole thing :)

Owca - I would much rather more dramatic landscape as well. I would really like to do the Affric Kintail Way but I'm worried that it would be slightly impractical getting back to Glasgow from there. I'm looking into it though!

kazuhart - I was planning on getting a bus from Inverness to Fochabers or somewhere along the route.

Sgurr - no not him i'm afraid, I'm someones granddaughter instead :) - although if I've completely misunderstood your question sorry!

jmarkb - thank you for the book recommendation! Looks perfect, just for what I'm after.

Caberfeidh - think you are right about Ben Nevis. I thought it would be a great thing to do and an achievement of sorts but, I'd rather wait until I can expect better weather!

Starting to think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this plan haha. I kind of just want to escape for a while . Earliest I could get away would probably be October 12th I think. But I would like to be away until November 10th. Perhaps I will do the WHW and then do some island hopping, staying for a few days on each one with short walks. Anyway, now I'm just rambling!

Thank you again to everyone!
seking16
Scrambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:47 pm

seking16 wrote:Perhaps I will do the WHW and then do some island hopping, staying for a few days on each one with short walks

Excellent idea; the islands are a different order of specialty, with beach-combing, ancient sites, wildlife (otters and seals abound, also birds of prey) and a special atmosphere not found anywhere else. Independent hostels are around various islands http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/ which are something to bear in mind if the weather turns nasty.

Raasay from Breakish May 09.JPG
Isle of Raasay from Breakish, Skye.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby arlo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:16 pm

I did the WHW, GGW, and SW back to back in 2011 - it was great with lots of variety over the three walks. I got a bus from Inverness to Buckie. Only problem I had with the walks was understanding the Buckie accent.
arlo

Munros:120   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion