walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bespoke Transport

Would you use a bespoke bus to get you to and from walks?

Yes I would
20%
No I wouldn't
28%
Maybe if it suited
52%

Total votes : 25

Bespoke Transport

Postby gordonmidd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi,

Just a wee one to gauge some opinions.
As most here will be aware getting to the start of the hills is, to say the least, difficult on public transport. So leaves most of us having to use the car or share to get there.

I'm wondering peoples general opinion on if there was transport that could get you from the main hubs, say Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling etc to some of the starting points and get you back at the end of the day. Or even get you back from another point or the next day for an overnight.
Would you use it?
Even if you had a car.

I tend to drive on my days out but find the drive back a bit of a pain after a full day. Hence the thought of having a nap on the way quite appeals.

If you think you would, know you wouldn't or might do please use the poll below.
gordonmidd
Mountaineer

Munros:28   
Fionas:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Bespoke Transport

Postby Challum » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:32 pm

Don't know how to use the poll but I wouldn't use bespoke transport. MUCH easier to use own car.

Edit: just found the voting buttons!
Challum

Postby gordonmidd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:04 pm

Challum wrote:Don't know how to use the poll but I wouldn't use bespoke transport. MUCH easier to use own car.

Edit: just found the voting buttons!

Thanks for voting.

Just trying to gauge opinion.

You sure a couple of pints by a log fire in the Kinghouse Hotel wouldn't appeal after a hard day?
gordonmidd
Mountaineer

Postby teaandpies » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:29 pm

Are you starting a business? I can't see how it would be sustainable. So would everyone be going to the same hill?

Give us some details to what this is all about.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby NickyRannoch » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:58 pm

No, I quite like my drive back with my music and stopping off wherever I fancy.

Is the model you are describing not just a walking club?
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby OpenC » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:02 am

I definitely wouldn't rule it out but I like the freedom of being able to spend as long as I want aimlessly wandering, and I feel like pre-arranged transport adds an unnecessary tension to the day. I personally prefer the idea of bespoke transport that takes me through long and private/inaccessible miles which just have to be done one way or another (like the Mullardoch boat, or a landrover that would drive me to Geldie Lodge or Alltbeithe.. that sort of thing)
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby gordonmidd » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:47 am

teaandpies wrote:Are you starting a business? I can't see how it would be sustainable. So would everyone be going to the same hill?

Hi,
no plans as yet to start anything. Was more just gauging interest as to whether there is indeed a problem, like whether theres a need.

Doubt it would pay as a business, more like a service to get people out and about. Not everyone has access to a car.

Was just looking at routes North the other day and thinking to myself that if something ran early enough I'd use it.

For instance along the A82 there are multiple points where people could be dropped off close to quite a few hills etc. Then picked up later on the same day.
Say Glasgow to Fort William with as many drop offs on the way as suited culminating at Nevis. With an early enough start it would get people out there.
Not just walkers, mountain bikers might get the use too.

I also quite like to trek from A to B as oppose to just returning to the start. So unless theres two cars or the like it's not always possible.

See a problem, find a solution kind of thing.
gordonmidd
Mountaineer

Postby gordonmidd » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:29 am

OpenC wrote:I definitely wouldn't rule it out but I like the freedom of being able to spend as long as I want aimlessly wandering, and I feel like pre-arranged transport adds an unnecessary tension to the day. I personally prefer the idea of bespoke transport that takes me through long and private/inaccessible miles which just have to be done one way or another (like the Mullardoch boat, or a landrover that would drive me to Geldie Lodge or Alltbeithe.. that sort of thing)

Well thats the key, I'm very keen on the freedom aspect too.

Again though you've hit on a problem in a different way. Perhaps theres a solution to that one too.
gordonmidd
Mountaineer

Postby NickyRannoch » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:59 am

gordonmidd wrote:
teaandpies wrote:Are you starting a business? I can't see how it would be sustainable. So would everyone be going to the same hill?

For instance along the A82 there are multiple points where people could be dropped off close to quite a few hills etc. Then picked up later on the same day.
Say Glasgow to Fort William with as many drop offs on the way as suited culminating at Nevis.

Like the citylink bus?

I literally can not think of a walk on the A82 that isn't served by public transport.

If you are talking about a single bus how long does someone have to spend at Inveruglas whilst the bus continues to Glen Nevis and waits for people to complete the Ben.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby gordonmidd » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:35 am

NickyRannoch wrote:
gordonmidd wrote:

Say Glasgow to Fort William with as many drop offs on the way as suited culminating at Nevis.

Like the citylink bus?

I literally can not think of a walk on the A82 that isn't served by public transport.

If you are talking about a single bus how long does someone have to spend at Inveruglas whilst the bus continues to Glen Nevis and waits for people to complete the Ben.

Well like the city link bus in that it's still a bus.
Your opinion is appreciated, this time the same as the last, though I'd mark you down as a definitely wouldn't use voter.
Which was really the idea of the post. To gauge opinion.
This for you however is not a problem, so requires no solution.

Completely correct that public transport can get you to or near to 75% of Munro's, whether near the 82 or otherwise.
At this point though public transport can't get you to most of them early enough or close enough to make it a one day event.

For instance the first bus from Glasgow to Fort William on a Saturday is 08:30 which doesn't leave much time for any adventures. Even half way along the journey.
It also doesn't stop exactly close to where people want to be.

This was more the problem I was interested in gauging opinion on. The fact the service does not exist and is it really enough of a problem for enough people.
As before for you it's not a problem.
gordonmidd
Mountaineer

Postby brother52 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:59 pm

I think the answer is to car share more than run a bus. I think running a bus would prove uneconomical and cease within a short time. Car sharing would provide transport for enough people interested in each hill from a 'local', to each others homes, start point. I am aware that is exactly what the meet ups are for, and have been thinking of offering a car share on the average 2 walks I do a week. Might chase this up after all :D
brother52

Munros:74   

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:01 pm

I think the idea has merit but I suspect the logistics would be the problem.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby gordonmidd » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:37 pm

brother52 wrote:I think the answer is to car share more than run a bus. I think running a bus would prove uneconomical and cease within a short time. Car sharing would provide transport for enough people interested in each hill from a 'local', to each others homes, start point. I am aware that is exactly what the meet ups are for, and have been thinking of offering a car share on the average 2 walks I do a week. Might chase this up after all :D

Agree on the car share part. Handy though limited to where the drivers going.

Mind and cast a vote.
gordonmidd
Mountaineer

Postby gordonmidd » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:37 pm

Marty_JG wrote:I think the idea has merit but I suspect the logistics would be the problem.

They would be a challenge, though mind and vote.
gordonmidd
Mountaineer

Postby prog99 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:25 pm

This club does a monthly bus which caters for circular walks from what I can gather from a member.

http://www.ptarmiganmc.org.uk/
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion