walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bothy Bagging - What are your rules?

Bothy Bagging - What are your rules?

Postby IanEzzi » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:24 pm

Sure to be a controversial subject, but a lonely night in Camasunary had me counting and jotting down all the bothies I'd stayed in.

Later on the same trip someone else brought the subject up and we briefly discussed what constituted a 'bag' with bothies, just a visit? A ceremonial cup of tea? Or a full on overnight stay?

I feel the overnight stay is a bit tricky, what if you get there and it's full so you have to camp outside? Although staying overnight is the truest experience, I feel summit rules should apply and simply setting foot inside should count. Obviously I have a personal agenda here, there's a few bothies I've passed numerous times (Coire Fionnaraich comes to mind) that I've had no need to stay in but have stopped by anyway.

Also, what about sub-categories, are the MBA bothies like the Munros (popular, obvious, most well used) and the lesser known estate bothies like the Corbetts (less popular, less well known, less well used, often just as good if not better than the MBAs?). Where do the famous howffs fit in? How about 'locked' bothies you have to pay to stay in? :crazy:

More importantly, how many actually are there? MBA puts it at 'around 100', but that isn't counting howffs/non MBA bothies, and that does include English and Welsh bothies too.

Anyway, before I get accused of taking it all too seriously I'm not, it's just that the process of trying to recall and write down all the ones I'd stayed in brought back some good memories!

(32, by the way, inc one famous howff and some non-MBA but not including 'just popping in' visits which brings it up to probably 40ish 8) ).
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Re: Bothy Bagging - What are your rules?

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:56 pm

"Shotgun Barndoor Rules"

If you're close enough to hit with a triple-zero cartridge from a sawn-off double-barrelled, then you bagged it.

Since the police frown upon the carrying and discharge of illegally modified firearms you can simulate it with a small pebble thrown by your non-primary arm - if you're close enough to hit the booth that'll do.

What's the alternative?

CLIMBER ONE: I bagged the boothy on Ben Wetmud.

CLIMBER TWO: I haven't.

CLIMBER ONE: But you climbed Ben Wetmud with me.

CLIMBER TWO: But you popped into the boothy to have a chat with your mate while I waited outside nipping at my hip flask.

CLIMBER ONE: Well, I guess you had to be there to be there.

CLIMBER TWO: Hang on, I peed up the side of it. I'm sure some of it soaked in. Does that count?

CLIMBER ONE: MY BLAGGER!! *highfives*

Note: I do not condone the ownership or use of 000 buckshot, small pebbles, or urine. Determine your natural "offhand targeted pebble range" on your own property after having filled in Police Scotland Health & Safety Risk Assessment Form. In the wild always pee into BPA-free silicate bladder for attaching to a Sawyer water filter. Never fill your hipflask with anything stronger than Bass Shandy. Avoid the Internet.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:12 pm

I'm so secretive about it that I don't talk about bothying at all. I do not sign bothy books, I never admit to having been in one. Or having helped to build/maintain one. Nor accidentally setting fire to one. [Several times over]. I think I'd better build my own. Especially as it distresses people so much when I bring out my dinner...

IMG_0201a.jpg
Weekend Mixed Grill Pack
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Iainm » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Personally, I wouldn't count a bothy as "bagged" unless I'd actually spent a night there.
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Postby Sgurr » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:02 pm

I regret NEVER HAVING ASKED a guy, who was bagging named (on the O/S) lochs by swimming in them, what counted as a swim. Did he have to swim across them? Did he have to wear a swim suit, or nothing at all. What if the named loch was too shallow to swim in?

Far easier to pin down was the guy who was bagging race courses, but even he does not count himself as having finished, despite having visited all (?) 60, as he has't been to all types of race meeting at all courses, and I DEEPLY REGRET not having asked him about the status of betting.
Bothy bagging? Slept in it (or tried to) and eaten some food in it (or tried to). Hence my low low score of three.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:22 pm

I think it only counts if you're still coughing up the smoke from the badly clogged fireplace two days later.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby scoob999 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:00 pm

You need to ask Mountainstar, he's bagged them all and more I think?
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby malky_c » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 pm

Stay the night is my criteria. But if Caberfeidh is there, then consider the second room or just camping outside.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountainstar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:11 pm

scoob999 wrote:You need to ask Mountainstar, he's bagged them all and more I think?

For me it includes visiting.
I've stopped in around 85% so about 15% in passing.
No rules in it as far as I'm concerned, no one has set in stone otherwise.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby IanEzzi » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:59 am

I think it only counts if you're still coughing up the smoke from the badly clogged fireplace two days later.

Haha, or from burning what looked like lumps of dried peat by candlelight but turned out just to be lumps of soil in the cold hard light of day :oops:

CLIMBER ONE: MY BLAGGER!! *highfives*

:D

Personally I think I'm going to count 'popping my head in' because it means I can inflate my tally with bothies such as Narrachan and Tigh na Cruach which only the truly desperate would attempt to sleep in... 8)
IanEzzi

Postby Iainm » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:24 am

IanEzzi wrote:
Personally I think I'm going to count 'popping my head in' because it means I can inflate my tally with bothies such as Narrachan and Tigh na Cruach which only the truly desperate would attempt to sleep in... 8)

You could also bump up your munro tally by adding summits that you have seen from the tops of others. :wink:
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Postby IanEzzi » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:47 pm

You could also bump up your munro tally by adding summits that you have seen from the tops of others.

Now now, let's not get silly, setting foot in the door (or just the empty space where a door should be, see again: Narrachan and Tigh na Cruach...) is perfectly analogous to setting foot on a summit :wink:

But if a bothy only counts if you sleep in it, and a summit only counts if you step on it, are there bonus points for sleeping in a bothy* on a summit? 8)

*well, emergency climbing shelter...
IanEzzi

Postby Michael Thomson » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:06 pm

I'd argue that a hill only really counts if you've slept on it too! :D
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby IanEzzi » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:18 pm

I've always said that there are only two kinds of people in the world. Those who count visiting a bothy as a bag and those who say you have to spend the night in one.

Yep, pretty much all of humanity in a nutshell :wink:
IanEzzi

Postby Iainm » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:46 pm

RTC wrote:I've always said that there are only two kinds of people in the world. Those who count visiting a bothy as a bag and those who say you have to spend the night in one.

You forgot the third type that thinks there is a weekly bin service to collect their rubbish to save them carrying it out.
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion