walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Where do you draw the line?

Re: Where do you draw the line?

Postby richjb » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:02 pm

Scotland is vast with many different oppurtunities for walking,why stick to plans?The forecast isn't actually bad for rain it's wind,so do lower or routes that don't take you near ridges exposed drops.There is infinite choice,and it's great to get out in the elements
richjb
Munro compleatist

Postby Michelle » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:33 pm

richjb wrote:Scotland is vast with many different oppurtunities for walking,why stick to plans?The forecast isn't actually bad for rain it's wind,so do lower or routes that don't take you near ridges exposed drops.There is infinite choice,and it's great to get out in the elements

This is the philosophy of my days out. Being from abroad, my specific hill days are usually selected about 6 months in advance (ouch)... and the weather being what it is, I either accept the need to be adaptable & revise plans to chase down the best of it, or I develop a deep understanding for what it must feel like to be an aquatic mammal.

Either way, I'm going to be out in it since my chances are so few- the only real consideration I have is that of safety.
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby CharlesT » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:07 am

My sister's take on this as she relayed to me once was that once the rain had penetrated to her knickers it was time to give up and go home and preferably before same had happened.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby goth_angel » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:33 pm

Think there are a few factors in play - safety, personal choice and the fun factor.

Clearly it's not a great idea to go out if conditions are obviously unsafe - better to hold off than risk becoming a mountain rescue statistic. The hill will be there another day.

Absent unsafe conditions I think whether to do out anyway is up to you. Personally I don't find it fun walking in poor weather so rarely do it. Nothing wrong with walking in bad weather if you want to but I'd rather not.

What does bug me is being told I ought to walk in bad weather because I live in Southern England and therefore my time in the hills is limited. Why do it if you don't enjoy it? If I ever get close to finishing any of the lists I could see me going out in worse weather than I now do in order to get the job done, but that's a long way off just yet.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:08 pm

rockhopper wrote:Must admit that I've become a lot more discerning in the last few years. Tend to stay flexible as to location but if forecast deteriorates all over the place, I'll just hold off until another time. Too many previous day's in the flag and rain - cheers :)

Exactly my approach... The travel time investment for me is just too large to waste it in clag...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:07 pm

rockhopper wrote:Must admit that I've become a lot more discerning in the last few years. Tend to stay flexible as to location but if forecast deteriorates all over the place, I'll just hold off until another time. Too many previous day's in the flag and rain - cheers :)
Oops - not good at texting from a phone in the middle of the Spanish hills :oops: - last sentence should say: "Too many previous days in the clag and rain - cheers :-)"
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion