walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Loops That Take A Week?

Loops That Take A Week?

Postby willsdad » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:43 pm

April/May next year I'm looking to have a week away from work and everyday life.
Does anyone have any tips on places I can park the car and spend a week doing a wide loop back to the car?

I'm a big fan of more remote places so it has to be the Highlands. My initial thought was Kinlochewe. Leave the car (hopefully at the caravan club) and head over to Shenevall, loop back around Beinn Eighe, south towards Coulags and eventually head back round to Kinlochewe. This may be a bit much though....

I like to aim for about 15 miles a day on average.

Other than that I'm flexible. I'll have a tent so bothies aren't a necessity.

Any idea's for a stunning week?

Thanks in advance. :wink:
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Re: Loops That Take A Week?

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:41 pm

Sounds like a good choice to me, you've the choice of Fisherfield/Letterewe, Flowerdale, Torridon and the Coulin forest from there!

You could work out a pretty amazing Knoydart circuit too, though as the terrain is really rough I might reduce the mileage per day down a bit. Start at Glenfinnan?
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby basscadet » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Terrain is rough in Knoydart, but the paths are pretty good. :)
You do not say whether you are bagging hills or sticking to the passes? if you aren't looking to bag anything particularly, I would be looking at islands - Ross of Mull or something..
Of course, you have plenty of time to look at many options, then pick the one with the best looking weather the night before you set off :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Sgurr » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:03 pm

If you look at the Cape Wrath Trail advice on here
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cape-wrath-trail.shtml
you will see that the first bit is split into alternatives,. One takes you four days and the other five. There are places where you could cut across from one trail to the other, thereby making it a shorter loop. You would be able to leave your car at Fort William, or you could do the first four days, then three days on the route home which would take you to Invergarry and easy buses back to FW,
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby willsdad » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I followed the CWT from Glenfinnan to Ullapool this May and following stretches of that was always an idea, although the loop back was the issue. It hadn't entered my tiny mind to follow one of the 'alternative routes' back :crazy:
Knoydart I love! The more rugged the better.
I was thinking of - leave the car at Mallaig, ferry to Inverie, then head over to Barrisdale, back to Sourlies, then find my way back to Mallaig along the coastline.

I hadn't thought of doing the Islands. I originally wanted to do The Skye Trail but I'm not going to have the time to plan etc.
This week will just be a shoot off out when the weather looks good job...

I was hoping to find someone who could say 'Yes I did (this route) and it was awesome'. :)
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby Guinessman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:22 pm

West coast is fantastic for multi day trips and I'm planning one for next October incorporating Knoydart, Inverie, Mallaig and the Skye trail.

Can I give a shout for the magnificent Cairngorm's? Here is a link to a recent 7 day trip that I did recently http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=67416

Although day 3 and 4 weren't as planned for me you could extend my trip by going to Loch Muick on day 3 and day 4 over Lochnagar and maybe Gelder Shiel or Braemar and instead of going to corrour area head over Ben Avon, Beinn Bhuird and use Glen Avon as your return trip.

As for car parking, plenty available at Old Blair and at the end of the trip you can the train back from Aviemore to your car.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:28 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned you can do the entire of Scotland in a week.

The "Scotland in miniature" that is.

The Arran Coastal Way
The Arran Coastal Way is a challenging and rugged long distance route running for 109km mostly around the coastline of the Isle of Arran. The Way fits neatly into a week long holiday, and the excellent bus service around the island makes it possible to walk the route in stages from many bases around the island.

Arran is famed as being 'Scotland in miniature', and it shouldn't come as a surprise that the route enjoys fabulous scenery throughout. The Way doesn't stick completely by the coastline, venturing inland at several points to sample the best the island has to offer.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/arran/arran-coastal-way.shtml

Plenty of accommodation along the way if you're fancying a night away from the tent (there's a tasty-looking "no frills" place that's basically a few rooms a pub lets out - dancer! http://www.catacol.co.uk, between stage 2 and 3, or between stage 5 and 6 if you go clockwise) you can detour via Goatfell if you want to bag the island's only Corbett, and the Machrie Moor stones (2nd site) is an easy but worthy stop if you're into that sort of thing.

Best of all currently no users have filed a walk report so you'll be the first!
Last edited by Marty_JG on Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby willsdad » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:17 pm

The Arran Coastal Way looks interesting. Possibly not as rugged and remote as I like :?

Does anyone know if the Caravan Site at Kinlochewe will allow long stay car parking?
So I can leave my car safe while I go off for a week.
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby basscadet » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:25 pm

Marty_JG wrote:you can detour via Goatfell if you want to bag the island's only Corbett

Hmm I was pretty sure there were 4 corbets on Arran ;) :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:37 pm

basscadet wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:you can detour via Goatfell if you want to bag the island's only Corbett

Hmm I was pretty sure there were 4 corbets on Arran ;) :lol:

My compeat bad. I don't even know where that came from, other than I do my research whilst nipping at the fiery peatwater that is the local national tipple. :crazy:

How about "Arran's only tallest Corbett"? :lol:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion