walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Longest view photographed in UK?

Re: Longest view photographed in UK?

Postby prog99 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:19 am

Actually, I think they'd be interested in your shot. Its much more unusual than the majority of the other posts. Make sure they know that Jonathons site quotes distances in miles!
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby madprof » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:25 pm

Next time you are going up Ben Macdui, take this with you:

http://www.geek.com/gadgets/canons-5200mm-prime-lens-is-super-rare-and-quite-massive-1534367/

I'll give you a hand lugging it in return for a pint.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme Gordon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:02 am

All

I am late posting here but have the reverse view - Cheviot to Lochnagar. (Together with other shots taken on the same day clearly showing Scafell Pike which is only a little less distant than Lochnagar.) The photos were taken on 9 December 2001 which was a day of the most stunning clarity. (The clearest day I can remember in 40 years of mountain walking.) They have lost a little definition in the digitalization process, but were originally taken on a Contax loaded with Kodacolour 100 films. They won't load directly due the pixel restrictions, so I'll try to host them on Flickr!

Graeme Gordon
Graeme Gordon
Munro compleatist

Postby matt_outandabout » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:54 am

A thread bump - the last few days of weather may have revealed some real distance views.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby prog99 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:29 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:A thread bump - the last few days of weather may have revealed some real distance views.

I had a look at my photos. Was on too low a hill with too many pointy things in the way. Cairngorms visible 130k away but nothing out of the ordinary.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Postby weedavie » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:45 am

Looking south it's easy to identify things: any of the Pentlands and Cauldstaneslap. The original photograph is amazing for showing Spartleton. It's a hill I've never noticed, except the day I was on it.

On Tuesday in the Pentlands I walked three hours with 30 metre visibility, then it rolled back and I could see snow 120k away in the north. While Beinn a'Ghlo can be picked out in detail, north east of that is just a jumble. On Capelaw, I pointed my camera north and when I got home, I saw I'd taken this. Don't know what it is, though I was guessing Caenlochan.
IMG_0995 650.jpg
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby prog99 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:04 pm

Not sure what direction you were pointing but could it be Lochnagar?

Edinburgh is great for this sort of thing. I’ve a photo of Cruachan from the pentlands and if you get a clear day it’s visible from the lowly heights of Braid Hill golf course.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:47 am

Caenlochan is a decent shout. that wee pointy one in the left foreground is the right shape in the right place to be Monega Hill, with the dome in the background possibly Cairn o'Claise/Carn an Tuirc?
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion