walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

one man or 2 man tent

one man or 2 man tent

Postby tawoh » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:15 pm

Hi all. on planning our wee expedition next year to fisherfields and maybe cairngorms has any one got a suggestion for a cheap ish one or 2 man light weight tent ,I used an old army bivvy and tarp a few times but fancy tent now as my old body craves some comfort .looking at under 2kg and under 150 quid also should I stick with 1 man tent or 2 man for extra room but heavier some suggestions ,cheers.
tawoh
Mountain Walker

Munros:238   Corbetts:23
Donalds:4

Re: one man or 2 man tent

Postby rockhopper » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:45 pm

Hi. You'll probably get various different answers and there have been a few other threads on this subject which you may find useful. I've been using a Vango Banshee 200 for the last 5 or 6 years - my version weighs about 2kg. Two man tent which would be tight for two but means I can get all my kit inside. The porch is a decent size. I tend to carry it with the inner already attached to the outer then pitch in a oner - a lot faster that way. Otherwise erect the outer first then the attach the inner. I'd tend not to go for an inner pitch first tent as could be an issue if pitching in the rain. I carry the tent in a compression sack, the poles separately up the corner of the rucksack and the pins separately inside the rucksack. I've used it in various types of weather and for a number of summit camps - touch wood, it has stood up to strong winds, rain and some snow - cheers :)

PS did we meet on Cnoc Coinnich recently ? I think I recognise your name but not sure ?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby 4shotB » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:12 am

I am sorry that I cannot help you with suggestions of tents that you could get easily but I will say I always opt for carrying the weight of a 2 man tent vs. a 1 man tent. Most if not all 1 man tents are rather claustrophobic for me. I want room for my gear inside and to be able to spread out.

I don't know what your budget is but I have great fondness for the Double Rainbow made by Tarptent (California, US). Comfortable and lightweight but probably expensive as all heck to have shipped over to your side of the pond. I have logged thousands of trail miles in mine (including the WHW and the Speyside way among others) and it is a great piece of gear. (Note: it is a single wall tent so there may be issues with condensation at times.)
4shotB
Scrambler

Postby willsdad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:08 pm

Vango Blade.....the 1 man was ok for a few nights but I've upgraded to the 2 man for the extra space.

I'm 6ft and can lie full length without toughing the ends. The best thing I find is that I can sit up without my head hitting the roof.
Storage at the front for a rucksack and boots.
I've been out in some fairly horrendous conditions and (as long as you put a bit of thought into pitching) stayed dry.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby kaiserstein » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:39 pm

Wild country which are a Terra Nova budget range are another option. Sports direct, Tiso and Blacks often have sales on their range. My mate has Zephyros 2 which is he is happy with.

Try also using pricespy uk to find deals. In the past I have set up notifications so that if a product goes down in price I will get an email.
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Postby tawoh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:46 pm

rockhopper wrote:Hi. You'll probably get various different answers and there have been a few other threads on this subject which you may find useful. I've been using a Vango Banshee 200 for the last 5 or 6 years - my version weighs about 2kg. Two man tent which would be tight for two but means I can get all my kit inside. The porch is a decent size. I tend to carry it with the inner already attached to the outer then pitch in a oner - a lot faster that way. Otherwise erect the outer first then the attach the inner. I'd tend not to go for an inner pitch first tent as could be an issue if pitching in the rain. I carry the tent in a compression sack, the poles separately up the corner of the rucksack and the pins separately inside the rucksack. I've used it in various types of weather and for a number of summit camps - touch wood, it has stood up to strong winds, rain and some snow - cheers :)

PS did we meet on Cnoc Coinnich recently ? I think I recognise your name but not sure ?
yeah that was me and Angela .anyhoo thanks for advice
tawoh
Mountain Walker

Postby tawoh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:54 pm

ps went with the banshee ,from millets 89 quid plus bought some other goods to get to £100 and got the 15% discount so total price is £85..
tawoh
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 pm

tawoh wrote:ps went with the banshee ,from millets 89 quid plus bought some other goods to get to £100 and got the 15% discount so total price is £85..
will be watching out for the wild camping walk reports :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby LegoHeadSam » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:55 am

Hi there,

Just registered to post this.
It depends on how big your party is.

I've used a 1man gelert solo tent (£30) before but it's like a coffin. It's fine in dry weather at ~1.5kg.

Last year I upgraded to a NatureHike CloudUp2 (£75) which is a 1.7kg small 2man tent that looks remarkably similar to very expensive ones made in the US :wink:

I can't recommend it enough. I like the option of outer first, inner first, no outer, no inner. It is the most versatile tent I have owned and it passes my criteria of being able to sit up in it during rainy weather without losing my mind.

Check TacBlades review on youtube. Hope this helps,

Legohead
LegoHeadSam
Scrambler

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:08 pm

LegoHeadSam wrote:Last year I upgraded to a NatureHike CloudUp2 (£75) which is a 1.7kg small 2man tent that looks remarkably similar to very expensive ones made in the US :wink:

That'll be the orange or green version made from 210T nylon and 150D polyester oxford cloth.

You can drop the weight by 250 grams and increase the hydrostatic head by 1000 by going for the 20D nylon coated silicone (the grey & red version). I've got one and I have to say I'm delighted with it, and TacBlades review was part of my decision making process. :lol:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Owca » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:33 pm

tawoh wrote:Hi all. on planning our wee expedition next year to fisherfields and maybe cairngorms has any one got a suggestion for a cheap ish one or 2 man light weight tent ,I used an old army bivvy and tarp a few times but fancy tent now as my old body craves some comfort .looking at under 2kg and under 150 quid also should I stick with 1 man tent or 2 man for extra room but heavier some suggestions ,cheers.

I have the Vango Blade 200 and am really happy with it. It's not expensive and about 2kg. I was hiking solo, so it seemed almost huge for one person! I could sit in it with no issues, unpack all my gear inside, and it survived some pretty horrible conditions up on the Trotternish Ridge, being pitched on wet spongy terrain in storm conditions... I really like it :)

I was looking into tents below 2kg, but the sudden jump up in price and/ down in comfort was just discouraging.
Owca
Mountaineer

Fionas:2   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion