walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Scottish National Trail

Scottish National Trail

Postby willsdad » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:31 pm

Why am I struggling to find walk reports for this? Is there still so few completed it in one go? :?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I've seen the videos on YouTube of the 2 young lads doing the trail but no written reports.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Re: Scottish National Trail

Postby Guinessman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:44 pm

There is one by Alphaboy ,I think, of a stage by stage report rather than a whole trip. I'm planning on doing it in 25 days from next April 17th. I 've done my own research using this site, and buying maps. My plan is to do the WHW from Milngavie rather than heading to the Cairngorms and then the CWT from Fort William. It won't be the route as devised but still will be end to end. I totalled it at 425 miles.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby willsdad » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi Guinessman,

I'm fancying giving it a bash in 2018 if I can get the time off work and the wife allows..... :crazy:
Looking at the route, I really want to head from Peebles to the WHW then CWT. I've got no interest in visiting Edinburgh on route. I'm just starting looking into the logistics so I've no idea of the route between Peebles and Glasgow.

It's going to need slightly more planning than other trails I recon. I'm not a big fan of sending parcels ahead etc.

Are you planning on doing a trail report on here?
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby willsdad » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:49 pm

Guinessman wrote:There is one by Alphaboy ,I think, of a stage by stage report rather than a whole trip. I'm planning on doing it in 25 days from next April 17th. I 've done my own research using this site, and buying maps. My plan is to do the WHW from Milngavie rather than heading to the Cairngorms and then the CWT from Fort William. It won't be the route as devised but still will be end to end. I totalled it at 425 miles.

Alba Bhoy :wink: took a bit of finding.
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby Guinessman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi willsdad ,yes I will be doing a trip report.

I too want to avoid Edinburgh and from Peebles I am planning to go via Stewarton and on the path around Green Howe and drop down to west Linton as per the SNT route. From there rather than take the SNT route I intend to on the drover road via Baddinsgill resr and up to Cauldstane Slap and onwards to nr Little Vantage. I am then going via the back roads into the Almondell and Calder wood country park and then follow the canals all the way up Linlithgow. I reckon this way will save a day. From Linlithgow I will follow the SNT route via the canal through Kilsyth and then leave the canal at Cadder and take the back roads to Milngavie.

I don't send parcels either. When I did the CWT I carried 6 days food from Fort William, 6 days from Kinlochewe and then a final resupply at Kinlochbervie. I intend to do the same this time albeit the first stage FW to Kinlochewe is a planned 5 days. From Kirk Yetholm all the way up FW I reckon I need to carry 3 days at a time at the most.

You're right about the planning. It takes some thought re daily mileage, overnight stops, route etc. It was only when I got maps for the borders area could I get my head around the route. I have already booked ahead for some areas like Linlithgow and Kilsyth and booked YH where I can get sorted.

Come February I will be checking the trains so I can get cheapest fare from Lairg all the way back to Newcastle.

Just need to keep the fitness up!
Guinessman
Walker

Postby willsdad » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:10 pm

Guinessman,

Just been looking at your route between West Linton and Linlithgow. You could be onto a winner there. I may be following in your footsteps.
From Milngavie I will join the WHW to Fort W, then CWT (best bit). I can't see me having the time to follow the loop over to the Cairngorms so I'll cut that off with the WHW. I've not done the WHW so I don't mind.

I got from Darlington to Fort W this May for £29 through booking as soon as possible.
I also carried 6 days from FW. Stocked up on snacks from Shiel Bridge and Kinlochewe.
Although I was then meeting my family for a weeks holiday in the Summer Isles so only went as far as Ullapool.

It's kind of comforting knowing the hardest section of the SNT have logistics tried and tested.

It's the wrong time of year to keep fitness up!
I'm training for a 10k open water swim at the moment, I'm feeling every mince pie and bottle of ale :?
Saying that, you cover a lot more distance than me on your hikes. My longest days on the CWT were A'Chuil - Barrisdale Bay at 18.6 mile and Kinlochewe to Shenevall at 17+ mile. Both days I regretted it the morning after.
willsdad
Backpacker

Postby Guinessman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:54 pm

Pleased I could help.

I did the WHW back in 1996 so I am looking forward to it again. Mind you I'll be on from 23rd April so I can avoid the hordes.

I did initially plan to do the whole SNT but I reckon it would have added another 3 or 4 days to the schedule. Considering the amount of time I do get away I thought I would cut it down to as short as possible. Mind you it will add some brownie points so I can get a summer and autumn backpack in!

I was playing around with the national rail enquiry website not long back and found a Lairg to Newcastle 3 months ahead for £35 so needless to say when the 3 month period comes up in Feb 2018 I will be checking daily.

If you want when I'm done I can send you the OS maps (5) for areas from Kirk Yetholm to Milngavie. I bought them for next to nowt off Ebay so you can have them if you want after May to help with your planning. They are not new print but are still relevant. I already have the Harveys maps for the CWT which I want to keep and intend to get a cheap WHW map.
Guinessman
Walker

Postby willsdad » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks for the offer but I've already ordered the maps. :D

I found on the CWT, the Cicerone guide plus my Garmin was enough (although I carried the Harveys maps) so I'll do the same for the WHW. That way I'm only carrying 2 guide books (cut down to required pages only) and a few maps for the first section to Glasgow.

My only issue now is work. I really don't want the pressure of doing it for charity, but I think that is probably the only way I will get the time off. It definitely won't be next year. Hopefully 2018!

Arran Coastal Way is my next, April '17.
willsdad
Backpacker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion