walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Novices on Mountains

Re: Novices on Mountains

Postby stomper » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:42 pm

What do i define as bad weather? You get to your destination for your next munro and you look up at the route or mountain you are doing and all you see is mist mist mist and its p***ng it down with no chance of a clear day then thats what i call bad weather. For me i can think of better things to do than going out risking everything. As i do munro's on my own its not worth it. If you think otherwise well good for you but my opinion is is that if the weather is bad than theres always next time so what if it takes you two or three atempts at a certain mountain because of bad weather as its not a race to complete munro's. As I live in Yorkshire and travel once a month to the land of the mountains which takes me 5/6hrs pending on where i go i wouldn't think twice of not doing them if the weather is bad. For the ones who go up no matter what the weather is well thats up to you and i hold no grudge for the ones who do. When i say its a tick in the book i mean it would be a tick in the book for myself if i do go up without a chance of seeing anything. I suppose if there is a group of you doing mountains thats a bit different as if anything happens then at least you can rely on one of the others to help.
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby stomper » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:49 pm

Also i am not a novice when it comes to bagging munro's as you can see i have done 192 of them its just that i choose to go when the weather is not bad.
stomper
Munro compleatist

Postby kinley » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:01 pm

stomper wrote:Also i am not a novice when it comes to bagging munro's as you can see i have done 192 of them its just that i choose to go when the weather is not bad.

I've done a few hills myself - your first post seemed to swing from talking about novices to claiming any "bad weather" walking was not worthwhile (as did your reply)

I do disagree with you for the reasons I detailed.

I certainly do not think going out in "mist, mist, mist" or rain is "risking it all" - that's over-dramatising to say the least.

I agree that if you feel that the conditions are outwith your comfort zone then not walking is the responsible route though.

I've had many decent days in mist and rain. As I said - add in high winds, blizzards or lightning and I'd stay away. :)
kinley

Postby stomper » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:24 pm

Fair point point taken i probably have changed the subject a bit from novices on the mountains to bad weather on the mountains so its best if i leave it at that.
stomper
Munro compleatist

Postby Freewheelin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:11 am

Matthew C wrote:I'm with Stomper on this one the hills will always be there, so you can /will get a second chance if you turn back, ask Freewheelin I made him turn back when we were about 1/2km from the top of Stob a' Choire Odhair still not sure he has forgiven me :? So what we did it a couple of weeks later in brilliant walking weather :D

Yir backside - it was only about 150m distance and 15m height... and yir right - it won't be forgotten :sick:
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion