walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Winter Bagging!

Winter Bagging!

Postby ChrisC1990 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi everyone! With winter fast approaching I was wondering if anybody could advise me of any particular Munros to go for - or to avoid - during the winter. Also, what gear would you recommend taking for a winter trek? I've not done any hiking/climbing in the winter before (but have plenty of warm gear, being a skier) and thought it best to get a few suggestions before wandering into unexpected blizzards in metaphorical shorts and sandals!!!

Cheers!
Chris
ChrisC1990
Stravaiging

Munros:85   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Winter Bagging!

Postby davidmhodgey » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Sticking to the more popular hills would be wise. If you're just walking you won't need to spend too much money to equip for winter. An axe is probably wise if you want to be able to arrest yourself when gravity is sucking you down a slope at 100mph to your doom! Crampons are nice to have but if you don't have them you can always turn back when/if you hit ice.

You should also consider how short the days get - you'll need a head torch and backup. Also, think about what you'd do if you broke your ankle and had no phone reception. Are you prepared to spend the night alone in freezing conditions? Do you have a whistle to alert people who're out looking for you?

Play through some worst case scenarios in your mind and think about what you'd need.

Probably best to join a club or tag along with more experienced people if you're wary of winter.

If you're actually climbing, IE with rope it's a whole other ball game and winter isn't the time to learn alone.

Finally, the one thing I often forget myself - have fun!
davidmhodgey

Munros:83   Corbetts:3

Postby ChrisC1990 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks for the advice! I'll bear all that in mind - fortunately I can get a great discount at a nearby climbing/camping shop, but I won't be doing proper climbing just yet - I've done some but don't consider myself experienced enough outside to tackle the serious stuff!

Cheers!
ChrisC1990
Stravaiging

Postby Milesy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:37 pm

ChrisC1990 wrote:Hi everyone! With winter fast approaching I was wondering if anybody could advise me of any particular Munros to go for - or to avoid - during the winter. Also, what gear would you recommend taking for a winter trek? I've not done any hiking/climbing in the winter before (but have plenty of warm gear, being a skier) and thought it best to get a few suggestions before wandering into unexpected blizzards in metaphorical shorts and sandals!!!

Cheers!
Chris

What is your summer experience in terms of general mountain stuff? Hill fitness, navigation etc. I would be versed in these before heading our yourself in winter. If your not comfortable being out yourself in bad weather in summer I would certainly not go in winter. Join a club or some people on here :)

Also. Your skiing gear might not be useful. Things like Salopettes etc are not good for winter walking. Too warm while on the move. I know this from experience. I tried a pair of powder fil Salopettes before and was sweating buckets while going up. I then ended up soaking underneath and with a bad chill when I stopped.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby ChrisC1990 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:42 pm

Thanks Milesy, I didn't think the external ski gear would be great but more the thermals and base layers... I have pretty extensive summer experience, having done a lot in the Swiss Alps both in brilliant sunshine and whiteouts! I have a couple of people I'll be doing this with though who aren't so experienced with the navigational side of things but we're all pretty hill fit. That said, I'm still thinking I'll try to get someone who knows the mountains more before I go up for the first few times as I've not done much in Scotland. I'll probably start out in the Cairngorms, but am not sure whether or not it would be best to get a guide for a couple of occasions or join a club! Is there a particular club you'd recommend?! Cheers :D
ChrisC1990
Stravaiging

Postby Freewheelin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:14 am

wouldn't recommend c'gorms as a place to start your winter walking (unless you take someone with some experience) - it gets pretty nasty there in the winter. I would suggest somewhere a little lower and a little easier to navigate on in a white-out!
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby ChrisC1990 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:25 am

Thanks, I've been taking a look at others a bit further South - was thinking about Mount Keen, Driesh and Mayar... the advantage with the more eastern ones is that I have family in Aberdeenshire so I can stay with them and drive to wherever around there!
ChrisC1990
Stravaiging

Postby Tradoch » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:08 pm

Don't be frightened of winter. Just be careful.

In some respects,with the right skills, it can be easier, glisading down a slope for example. (But doing this when you don't know how isn't so smart.)

I echo what's been said before but would reinforce the need to know how to use an ice axe. Crampons are for ice, not soft snow, in soft snow they become hazardous. Carry spare batteries for your head torch and hand warmers and a bivvy bag.

But. Crucial but. Don't get carried away. Yes you do need a few extras. But you don't want to carry the kitchen sink. Speed is more important than anything else, in my opinion, and you don't want to get weighed down. Just work out a good balance.

Oh. Don't be too proud to give up. If in doubt turn back. In my climbing days summer talk was of warm rock and balletic moves. Winter was of who had died or got injured...

I'm going to find this winter fascinating, just getting back into this lark. I bought a platypus. Be interesting to see if the hose freezes and I'd be better off with ye olde fashioned bottles! :D
Tradoch
Stravaiging

Munros:23   

Postby Tradoch » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:32 pm

btw.

A really good walk for a winter virgin , if in winter conditions, is the Tarmachan Ridge. Do it anti clockwise and turn the scrambly bit by descending the easy slopes on the right.

In good winter conditions gives some excellent photo opportunities. It 's also pretty safe. Doing it anticlockwise keeps the on mountain part short and to the first part of the walk - meaning you finish on the landrover track and don't have to worry so much about running our of light.

Gives a real winter mountaineering feel and is less boring than Ben Lawers, or that ilk.
Tradoch
Stravaiging

Postby ChrisC1990 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 pm

Cheers Tradoch!!!
ChrisC1990
Stravaiging

Postby BethAtTheHug » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:52 pm

I'd agree with the 'do some of the popular munros'. Some easy winter munros are probably ones like Ben Narnain via the col with The Cobbler, Ben Ime, Ben Lomond, Cairn Gorm by way of Fiaciall Coire Cas/Windy ridge, Ben Chonzie... Easy being a relative term of less hard than some others but you still need to keep an eye on the snow pack, where exactly you are walking (over a snow bridge/lochan/only just frozen bog...), how long you are taking/etc/etc, how much daylight left.

As for equipment (hope this doesn't come across as teaching grandmother to suck eggs!): head torch for each member of your party tested with fresh batteries - with someone carrying a complete spare - only needs to be something like a Petzl e-lite, extra insulation layer - belay style jacket that can slipped on over whatever other layers you have on at stops, gloves, more gloves, more really warm gloves..., balaclava or arctic buff/warm hat that wont blow away in a gale. A bothy bag can be good for getting the group, or at least some of the group out of the wind, and if you are out on your own you should have an emergency bivvy bag anyway. Even if you have a waterproof Harvey map put it in an Ortileib map case and attach the string to your jacket, or pack, so you don't loose it if you let go. When I bought a new compass, I put the old still servicable one in my first aid kit. Crampons that fit your boots, and an ice axe along with the knowledge of how to use it/them.

Winter is an awesome time to be in the mountains. Pick some stable, nice weather just get out there :)
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:26 am

I personally wouldn't want to do the Tarmachan ridge in winter - too narrow and steep in places for me... I think Dreish & Mayar are excellent choices and also Mount Keen as suggested...
mountain coward

Postby Milesy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Tradoch wrote:In some respects,with the right skills, it can be easier, glisading down a slope for example. (But doing this when you don't know how isn't so smart.)

I echo what's been said before but would reinforce the need to know how to use an ice axe. Crampons are for ice, not soft snow, in soft snow they become hazardous. Carry spare batteries for your head torch and hand warmers and a bivvy bag.

I'm going to find this winter fascinating, just getting back into this lark. I bought a platypus. Be interesting to see if the hose freezes and I'd be better off with ye olde fashioned bottles! :D

Agreed about Glissading. Do not do it unless the run off is safe or you know 100% you can control it. See here for what a idea of how a fun Glissade turned into a 40mph speed slide with head to toe grazing and bruising and my brother in law cheese grated himself on "harmless" scree.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4284

Re: crampons. I find them useful in steep soft snow for added friction still as long as there is anti balling plates. Never had a balling problem with them.

As long as you blow the water back out the hose into the resevoir after each drink there should not be a problem. Also good to keep the resevoir a little insulated. :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Tradoch » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:48 pm

mountain coward wrote:I personally wouldn't want to do the Tarmachan ridge in winter - too narrow and steep in places for me... I think Dreish & Mayar are excellent choices and also Mount Keen as suggested...

It is narrow in places, you're right. But that makes it interesting. But how narrow is relative- seems quite wide to me 8)

The only dangerous bit should be the descent down the scramble. I'd do it up the way in winter, not down, or at least not unless roped. But as I said, do it widdershins and turn easily on right. (you do need to head back up slope slightly before descending to the right (north))

I see the WTH route cuts down from the col to the quarry. Much more interesting to carry on past the next top then descend. But the path there does get awfully close to the edge and you would need to take care in winter.

btw Milsey. Never heard of step cutting? LOL!
Tradoch
Stravaiging

Postby Bob Sacamano » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:05 pm

I'm kinda on the same boat. I've only really started walking regularly this year so this winter will be my first one basically.

Need to get out there and get some winter experience/confidence under my belt. Looking forward to it already.
Bob Sacamano
Munro compleatist

Munros:24   Corbetts:3

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion