walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

WHW Wild Camping Spots

WHW Wild Camping Spots

by fhaggis » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:05 am

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 28/03/2017

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: WHW Wild Camping Spots

Postby nick70 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Hi Funsizedearthling

I am pretty sure that is correct. I am at work at moment but shall confirm/verify that for you when I get home.

From memory, I'm sure it lists the ones that are at edge of Garadbhan Forest, Bridge of Orchy and Inverornan.

As I said when I get home I shall verify this for you.

Nick
nick70

Postby Funsized Earthling » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:43 pm

nick70 wrote:Hi Funsizedearthling

I am pretty sure that is correct. I am at work at moment but shall confirm/verify that for you when I get home.

From memory, I'm sure it lists the ones that are at edge of Garadbhan Forest, Bridge of Orchy and Inverornan.

As I said when I get home I shall verify this for you.

Nick

Thank you so much! Really do appreciate it. I'm doing it solo and would like to wild camp all the way if at all possible.
Funsized Earthling
Mountaineer

Postby nick70 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi again Funsized Earthling

You were indeed right. I have just checked my Harvey's map and there appears to be 5 such locations, the 3 I mentioned earlier and also one at Rowardennan and one at Kingshouse. Bear in mind the one at the Kingshouse is in a pine forest and the Kingshouse hotel at moment has been demolished and rebuilt (I think) so that area will resemble something akin to a building site.
Other than that I can't really give you many other pointers I'm afraid. I guess Rannoch Moor will have many places for wild camping, I have just never looked as my destination has been elsewhere.
Again for Kinlochleven you would be limited, the descent after Devils Staircase I can't say if I've ever noticed anything suitable, so you may have to do ascent out of Kinlochleven first before you find anything suitable. Again I'm not saying there isn't anything I just haven't been looking.
Perhaps if you have a read of other folks blogs you will pick up more pointers.

ATB to you for when you do walk, it truly is stunning.

Nick
nick70

Postby Funsized Earthling » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:22 pm

nick70 wrote:Hi again Funsized Earthling

You were indeed right. I have just checked my Harvey's map and there appears to be 5 such locations, the 3 I mentioned earlier and also one at Rowardennan and one at Kingshouse. Bear in mind the one at the Kingshouse is in a pine forest and the Kingshouse hotel at moment has been demolished and rebuilt (I think) so that area will resemble something akin to a building site.
Other than that I can't really give you many other pointers I'm afraid. I guess Rannoch Moor will have many places for wild camping, I have just never looked as my destination has been elsewhere.
Again for Kinlochleven you would be limited, the descent after Devils Staircase I can't say if I've ever noticed anything suitable, so you may have to do ascent out of Kinlochleven first before you find anything suitable. Again I'm not saying there isn't anything I just haven't been looking.
Perhaps if you have a read of other folks blogs you will pick up more pointers.

ATB to you for when you do walk, it truly is stunning.

Nick

Million thanks to you! Will encircle the wild camping spots now and see if I can plan my itinerary based on them. Really really really appreciate your input. All the best to you, too. I wish you many happy trails.
Funsized Earthling
Mountaineer

Postby dmirzai » Mon May 10, 2021 8:11 am

See map of May 2021
Attachments
08019470-7F8F-4D4E-91DE-93CBBBABF56F.jpeg
dmirzai
Wanderer

Postby isabelscott11 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:45 pm

Many years too late, but I found this thread when I was looking for a nice wild camp spot near Kinlochleven.

I ended up finding one about an hour and a half walk out of the town along the WHW towards Fort William. There is a ruin in the upland valley with flat soft ground and shelter from the wind. Also next to running water to refill water bottles.

The ruin is marked on maps as Tigh-na-sleubhaich. There is also another ruin a bit further along with some ideal camping spots.
isabelscott11
Backpacker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion