walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Supplies upon landing at GLA (advice!)

Supplies upon landing at GLA (advice!)

Postby MorganSA » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm coming to Scotland next month from Canada, and I'm planning on walking/camping a variation of the SNT starting around Jedburgh. I'll be landing at GLA in the early morning, and I'm hoping to get to Jedburgh by nightfall - but there are some supplies I need help finding! Since we can't fly with fuel canisters (drat) I need to locate them once I arrive. Is there somewhere around the airport I can find things like that, or do I have to get into Glasgow proper? Do any of you have suggestions as to the best outdoor supply store to visit before I take the bus out of town? I'd love to just get in and out as quickly as possible.

Also, I'll be looking for somewhere to get a local SIM card and maybe a pay-as-you-go data plan. Though I'll be using paper maps and compass, I'm also bringing along some sort of smart device as backup.

Any help you can give me is appreciated. Really looking forward to this adventure and just looking to iron out some specifics.

Thank you!
MorganSA
Scrambler

Re: Supplies upon landing at GLA (advice!)

Postby mmm_biscuit » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi - And welcome to Scotland!

There's nothing like that near the airport that I know of. The nearest town to the airport that's likely to have an outdoor gear shop is Paisley. However - if you're planning to get to Jedburgh by public transport you first need to get to Edinburgh. And to get to Edinburgh, you need to get to Glasgow. So I'd recommend jumping on the bus into Glasgow and hitting the shops there.

First up, there's a small 'army-surplus' style shop that's on the way from the bus station to Queen Street railway station: http://www.adventure1.co.uk/index.html. Alternatively, there's a much larger outdoor store two blocks north of the bus station: http://www.tiso.com/shops/glasgow-outdoor-experience. Tiso also have a city centre branch that's a couple extra minutes walk along the main shopping street. One note on fuel - check that we use the same thing as you - I'm sure I remember the reverse situation from someone who went to North America but couldn't find the right type of fuel or connection or something...

As for phone sims, most city centre shops seem to be phone shops these days. The bus station is adjacent to a large mall (Buchanan Galleries) where you'll find shops for at least two of the main UK mobile networks (Vodafone and O2, maybe EE).

You did mention you were arriving early though. Most shops won't open until 9am. If you're much earlier than that, then it should be just as simple to get your shopping done in Edinburgh. I think there's still a smaller Tiso in Edinburgh city centre.

Hope you enjoy your trip and that the weather's kind to you!
mmm_biscuit
Mountain Walker

Munros:227   Corbetts:8
Grahams:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Supplies upon landing at GLA (advice!)

Postby Somerled87 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but there's a good chance that you'll be able to get a pay as you go SIM card at the Tesco inside the airport, just by Arrivals from UK & Ireland. Tesco Mobile uses o2's infrastructure which gives you as good network coverage as any.

mmm_biscuits's advice on outdoor shops is good, both are not far at all from the bus and train stations.
Somerled87
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   Corbetts:17
Grahams:12   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:12   Islands:26

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion