walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bidein a Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor

Bidein a Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor

Postby PerthAlly » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm planning a trip to tackle this remote pair this summer ( once I've bought a bike! )

I read of trips from both Craig and Attadale. Journey times are similar but which is more bike friendly?

Attadale looks as if there's a track going in a fair way.

Your thoughts please?
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Bidein a Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:33 pm

I passed by Bendronaig Bothy last year and saw the end of the road coming from Attadale. Everything cyclable up to Loch Calavie. It wasn't tarmac but a proper road. I wouldn't want to walk on it for long, so might be superb for biking.

From Craig you can cycle up to the place where you have to cross the river by a wire bridge.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby PerthAlly » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Thanks Walkingpoles
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Postby Helen Bruce » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:10 pm

I did these two from Attadale about 3 years ago and things may have changed, but here's some thoughts:

Attadale route: the road surface is fine for cycling but the route is quite challenging for the first few miles, very steep uphill with zig zags, but once you reach the watershed it's pretty straightforward with a steady downhill to the bothy - and of course the return journey is a lot easier. We left our bikes at the bothy as we stayed there overnight, and from memory there's a footbridge a bit further along which might be tricky to take a bike over - but perhaps that was just my thinking with a fragile back, knowing I couldn't carry the bike. In any case, the route up Bidein a Choire Sheasgaich is only a short distance from there so you might want to leave your bike at the bothy anyway and have a break there on your return. The circuit up the two Munros from there is not too long or strenuous - we followed the WH route.

Craig route: I've cycled in to do Maoile Lunndaidh/Sgurr Choinnich/Sgurr a'Chaorachain a few times and it's a long drag up through the forest (I pushed, mostly) and then the road was pretty rough going when flat, lots of unconsolidated rock each time. It's a fast downhill return though! I haven't tackled Bidein/Lurg Mhor from that direction, though it's a long ridge (nice to be up high) with a lot of up and down (not so good).

Whichever way you do the trip, hope you have a great day!
Helen Bruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:160   Corbetts:81
Fionas:10   Donalds:20
Islands:46

Postby PerthAlly » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:22 pm

Helen

Thank you for the detailed reply. I had made up my mind to go via Attadale. Looks more bike friendly.

Really looking forward to this trip :clap:
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Postby GillSte » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:12 pm

PerthAlly wrote:Helen

Thank you for the detailed reply. I had made up my mind to go via Attadale. Looks more bike friendly.

Really looking forward to this trip :clap:

Definitely the best decision! I did Cheesecake and Lurg Mor from Attadale too, and it's a really nice route. Good bike ride too,and all easily done in a day trip. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Agree with the previous folk, we cycled in from Attadale and are hardly 'expert' cyclists :lol: Pauline and I spent plenty of time pushing our bikes even on the slight inclines. It is a long day and possibly one of the furthest cycles before walking that I have done. I am always concerned about overdoing it on the cycling and finding that when I dismount my legs are shot :lol:

Check out my report with plenty of photo's, there is a large car park at Attadale which is always a bonus :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62916
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Helen Bruce wrote:and from memory there's a footbridge a bit further along which might be tricky to take a bike over -

The fragile footbridge still stands, some planks missing, but next to it is a new bridge strong enough for trucks and other heavy machinerie. It looks more like a tube for the water than a bridge.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby PerthAlly » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:46 pm

Gill . Many thanks

Fife Flyer. Read your super report.

I'm really excited now :lol:

Not been on a bike in 10 years so I better get some practice before disappearing into the hills :lol:
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Agree with the previous folk, we cycled in from Attadale and are hardly 'expert' cyclists :lol: Pauline and I spent plenty of time pushing our bikes even on the slight inclines. It is a long day and possibly one of the furthest cycles before walking that I have done. I am always concerned about overdoing it on the cycling and finding that when I dismount my legs are shot :lol:

Check out my report with plenty of photo's, there is a large car park at Attadale which is always a bonus :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62916

What a cycling nightmare for me.

I would definitely been far quicker walk/jogging it.

Very easy though :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:54 pm

Met two over 70's cycling out after doing the 2 Munros and they looked slightly the worse for wear.
Cycling in and out would be no problem just don't expect a smooth ride.
Why not spend a lovely night at the bothy and knock off a Corbett as well.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Jaxter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:52 pm

As folk have mentioned the track from Craig is fine, there's one wee steep section but it's not a problem and you make up for the effort on the way back :lol:

It's a great route from Craig, you need to go over Beinn Tarsuinn and it's definitely worth it :thumbup:

You can always tag on 4 more munros and another corbett too if you're feeling really energetic :roll: :roll:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby PerthAlly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:38 am

Thanks everyone for your valued input

The agony of choice! I'm wetting myself with the prospect of these two :lol:
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:15 am

Just in case you decide to tackle the Corbett Beinn Tarsuinn from Bidein a Choire Sheasgaich the path down was very badly eroded 3 years ago and would think it would be much worse now,it was not a pleasant way down, even worse if wet.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby gary » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:01 pm

I did these two a few weeks ago from Attadale, there is a lot of hydro work in the estate at the moment but the plus side to the track being upgraded is , although not great to look at, it allows pretty decent going on a bike all the way to the bothy once you reach the high point in the track.
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:9

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion