walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Recommendations

Recommendations

Postby seantierney » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi folks.

In the summer, I am planning on doing a walk - somewhere around 6-8 hours walking per day for 3-4 days. I am looking for some inspiration and suggestions. At the moment, I am looking at departing from Fort William, Inverness, or perhaps even up towards Applecross.

Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Sean
seantierney
Hill Bagger

Re: Recommendations

Postby matt_outandabout » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:33 pm

Over tops or valleys? Wild camp or bothy or accomodation? How fit are you - one mans 3hrs is another's hours jog...
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby seantierney » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:Over tops or valleys? Wild camp or bothy or accomodation? How fit are you - one mans 3hrs is another's hours jog...

Indeed!

I would say my fitness levels are pretty decent - I tend to walk 3-5 miles a day as a matter of course anyway, as well as going to the gym 3-4 times a week. Ideally I would wild camp and stick to valleys, but wouldn't mind some climbs, but wouldn't want to spend all my time ascending.
seantierney
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:26 pm

obvious suggestion would be to delve into the Cairngorms where there are lots of lovely passes and mountains and big space.
or do part of the Cape Wrath Trail
or go where the weather forecast looks best. which needs a bit of dynamic planning.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby seantierney » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:57 pm

mrssanta wrote:obvious suggestion would be to delve into the Cairngorms where there are lots of lovely passes and mountains and big space.
or do part of the Cape Wrath Trail
or go where the weather forecast looks best. which needs a bit of dynamic planning.

Thanks - that's food for thought. I had contemplated doing some of the Cape Wrath Trail, actually - so I will look into this a bit more. Cheers!
seantierney
Hill Bagger

Postby JayLake » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:03 pm

I high recommend Fort Williams in the summer. The scenery is amazing and the people are really friendly.
JayLake
Munro compleatist

Postby seantierney » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 pm

JayLake wrote:I high recommend Fort Williams in the summer. The scenery is amazing and the people are really friendly.

Thanks!
seantierney
Hill Bagger

Postby SummitStupid » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Sean, the Cairngorms is a superb place for low-level walks. Pine-spangled valleys, imposing cliffs around Loch Avon, huge vistas, nothing but nature, paths, and the odd bothy. I did a route from Glenmore to Aviemore via Loch Avon, Derry Lodge, the Lairig Ghru and the Rothiemurchus forest last year, over three leisurely days, and it was brilliant despite some awful weather. But there is huge scope for potential routes.
SummitStupid
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:23
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:109
Wainwrights:84   Islands:10

Postby mmill » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Have you considered the Affric Kintail Way? It starts from Drumnadrochit, but that is only 18 miles from Inverness and that can be walked on part of the Great Glen Way, which would possibly then tie in with the distance that you have mentioned. I have not done it, but have been on parts of it. There are some walk reports of people who have done it on this site.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby seantierney » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:46 am

SummitStupid wrote:Sean, the Cairngorms is a superb place for low-level walks. Pine-spangled valleys, imposing cliffs around Loch Avon, huge vistas, nothing but nature, paths, and the odd bothy. I did a route from Glenmore to Aviemore via Loch Avon, Derry Lodge, the Lairig Ghru and the Rothiemurchus forest last year, over three leisurely days, and it was brilliant despite some awful weather. But there is huge scope for potential routes.

Thanks. That's a cracking suggestion. The Cairngorms are beautiful, and oddly enough, I hadn't really considered it, but I definitely will now. Cheers.
seantierney
Hill Bagger

Postby seantierney » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:52 pm

mmill wrote:Have you considered the Affric Kintail Way? It starts from Drumnadrochit, but that is only 18 miles from Inverness and that can be walked on part of the Great Glen Way, which would possibly then tie in with the distance that you have mentioned. I have not done it, but have been on parts of it. There are some walk reports of people who have done it on this site.

Thanks for the heads up - this looks pretty good too.
seantierney
Hill Bagger

Postby WalkingDutchman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:58 pm

mmill wrote:Have you considered the Affric Kintail Way? It starts from Drumnadrochit, but that is only 18 miles from Inverness and that can be walked on part of the Great Glen Way, which would possibly then tie in with the distance that you have mentioned. I have not done it, but have been on parts of it. There are some walk reports of people who have done it on this site.

Would've been my suggestion too. I took the bus from Inverness the first morning, then at the end stayed in a B&B and added a day walk from there, giving me 5 days of walking. You can check my trip report if you want, especially the last bits are really beautiful.
WalkingDutchman
Wanderer

Postby seantierney » Thu May 11, 2017 6:50 pm

WalkingDutchman wrote:

Would've been my suggestion too. I took the bus from Inverness the first morning, then at the end stayed in a B&B and added a day walk from there, giving me 5 days of walking. You can check my trip report if you want, especially the last bits are really beautiful.

Has anyone ever done this route the opposite way? I.e starting from the west? I know it's not recommended, as such, but I am interested to hear if it's been done and how it is...

Cheers
seantierney
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion