walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

West Highland Way - General Questions

West Highland Way - General Questions

Postby waffles » Wed May 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi all,

I am pretty new to long distance hiking and I have decided my first big one will be the WHW in early June. I have a few questions, which I can't find many answers too.

1. What do you think the midge situation will be like in early - mid June? If it will be bad any suggestions for midge solutions?

2. My 2nd night I have planned is to camp north of Rowardennan just outside of the camping restriction zone. Are there areas where I will be able to camp here or is it worth planning to walk the extra few miles to Rowchoish Bothy and staying there or camping just outside?

3. I plan on starting on a Thursday, do you think it will be busy?

4. Is the flowing water drinkable or should i be carrying a water filter or just carry a full days worth of water (I plan to carry all my gear - no pack transport service).

5. Worth going up Conic hill or taking the short cut round the bottom?

6. And most importantly any other tips and advice are be warmly welcomed!

Thanks for your help in advance!!!
waffles
Scrambler

Re: West Highland Way - General Questions

Postby abbruce » Thu May 11, 2017 9:03 am

There will be midgies, some parts will be worse than others. Get something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid=222449386 ... t=0&chn=ps for when they become unbearable

It's always busy on the WHW but the main wave of people seem to start on a Saturday & walk over 7 days. I spent a week in Tyndrum last month & every night there were WHW walkers in the pub, it was never overly busy apart from the Tuesday night when it was standing room only & an hours wait for food. This was the 7 day Saturday starters. If you start on a Thursday, you'll be ahead of the masses.

You haven't said how long you're doing the way, but on most sections, there will be a pub/café/hotel that you pass where you can fill a water bottle.

Definitely take the path over Conic Hill & take the small detour to the top for the view down the loch.

Other tips, take your time, enjoy the scenery & the great camaraderie along the way. Too many people try to rush along with the sole focus on finishing. It's a great walk, enjoy yourself.

Oh, & make sure you visit the Drovers at Inverarnan & also the Mountain Café at Glencoe ski centre (amazing coffee & homebakes) :D
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Old Bill » Thu May 11, 2017 10:25 am

Agree with all the above, but as for the climb up Conic Hill it depends on how you are on ascents with a full back-pack. Makes all the difference...! It is definitely worth if the weather is nice but if the clag was down and I have a back-pack I'd probably avoid it.

OB
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby audreywaugh » Thu May 11, 2017 2:25 pm

I did the WHW in late April last year and the bothy was busy with people using it as a drinking den according to some people I met so I would avoid if you want a decent nights sleep. Visit the Drovers for a look but in my opinion it is overpriced for food and drink. Best meal I had (and cheapest by far) was in the Mountain Café at Glencoe Ski resort, the staff are very friendly and well the views are great. Like Abbruce says make sure you enjoy the scenery and the walk and buy a midge net :lol:
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion