walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The Gray Corries

The Gray Corries

Postby Munroman66 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi peeps
Hope to go up to the Corries in the morning... Just ask how easy is it to get from Stob Ban on to the main ridge its self
Tomorrow. Will only be my second munro. This year so the will it be a tough round . Or just do it in two trips.
Munroman66
Hill Bagger

Munros:215   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:9

Re: The Gray Corries

Postby jmarkb » Tue May 16, 2017 2:38 pm

A direct line north off Stob Ban is craggy, so you need to head W or SW a bit initially: there are traces of path in the scree. The terrain in the col is lumpy and potentially a bit confusing in poor vis. The ascent to Claurigh is long but straightforward: mostly grass and a few boulders.

Quite a big day if you are including Sgurr Coinnnich Mor as well!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Munroman66 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:49 pm

jmarkb wrote:A direct line north off Stob Ban is craggy, so you need to head W or SW a bit initially: there are traces of path in the scree. The terrain in the col is lumpy and potentially a bit confusing in poor vis. The ascent to Claurigh is long but straightforward: mostly grass and a few boulders.

Quite a big day if you are including Sgurr Coinnnich Mor as well!

Thanks might wait until i get up stob ban to feel if i will carry on ....
The road up to park the car is ok just for a normal car not a 4x4. Some reports suggested not?????
Munroman66
Hill Bagger

Postby jmarkb » Tue May 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Munroman66 wrote:The road up to park the car is ok just for a normal car not a 4x4. Some reports suggested not?????

It was fine a year ago: I guess it's maybe a problem if your car doesn't have much ground clearance.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue May 16, 2017 3:52 pm

jmarkb wrote:
Munroman66 wrote:The road up to park the car is ok just for a normal car not a 4x4. Some reports suggested not?????

It was fine a year ago: I guess it's maybe a problem if your car doesn't have much ground clearance.

It's still fine though I wouldn't take my Ferrari up there.................................................... if I had one :D
Sunset tripper

Postby PerthAlly » Tue May 16, 2017 9:07 pm

I did Stob Ban and the Grey Corries a couple of years ago. As mentioned in a previous post it's a canny hike. But if I can do it , so can you :lol:

You can take your car ( carefully ) all the way to a fence/gate if I remember. The track isn't too bad. Been up worse.

Descent and ascent from Stob Ban is relatively straight forward. There after, it's just a long walk 8)
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Robinho08 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:51 pm

There's a loose and steep scree path just off the summit of Stob Ban that takes you down to the bealach for the 350m pull up to the second Munro and the main ridge. Took us roughly an hour from Stob Ban to the second Munro.

The road up is a bit rutted after the farm, so take your time driving up. 4x4 would be advantageous but not necessary.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Munroman66 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 am

Thanks for the info just in from work 00:13....so bed for early rise in the morning
Munroman66
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion