walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Writing

Re: Writing

Postby Jaywizz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:03 pm

Highly recommend the last suggestion - I still get shivers thinking about the Via Ferrata story (2014?) Really excellent
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Postby inca » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Think most of the prose writing I'd have recommended has been covered already. Maybe a couple of others -

1. 'A Philosophy of Walking' by Frederic Gros (there was a separate thread about this book recently).

2. 'Consolations of the Forest' by Sylvain Tesson. More wilderness than hillwalking - still an excellent piece of work.

I notice you mentioned poetry in the header. Norman MacCaig is an obvious choice for me. 'The Many Days - Selected Poems' is superb.

A compilation worth considering is 'Poems of the Scottish Hills', edited by Hamish Brown. It's out of print now but you can still pick up a second hand copies on Amazon. There's a companion volume on wider British hills; its title escapes me for the moment.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:23 pm

BobMcBob wrote:"Mountains of the Mind" by Robert MacFarlane is the best book about mountaineering I have ever read. And I've read six. ;)

Seriously though, it's a beautifully written exploration of what makes people climb mountains, almost hypnotic in its prose style. Anything by him is worth a read to be honest.

Agreed 100%!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby OpenC » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Hamish's Mountain Walk and The Living Mountain are both essentials IMO, really excellent - if you know the areas being discussed, anyway. I can't imagine they're as effective if you've never walked in Scotland but Shepherd's work on the Cairngorms in particularly is sometimes breathtakingly well-observed.
OpenC
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:132   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm

One of my favourite walking books is ‘The Great Divide’ by Stephen Pern, his account of walking the length of the Continental Divide in the USA
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:36 pm

bit more lowbrow perhaps but "wild" by Cheryl Strayed of her walk along the pacific crest trail is a good read - full of laughs but also some serious thought as well. It's as much about her personal journey as about the walk.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Jaywizz wrote:Highly recommend the last suggestion - I still get shivers thinking about the Via Ferrata story (2014?) Really excellent

If anyone wants similar shivers, Via Ferrata, by Jim Cassidy, can be read online here - https://www.mountaineering.scot/assets/contentfiles/pdf/MWC2014prose3.pdf
In fact you can read all the previous winners... https://www.mountaineering.scot/members/members-benefits/scottish-mountaineer-magazine/mountain-writing-competition
And, as was suggested above, you can write something yourself. The 2017 competition is open now and details are on the webpage at the link above. (Shameless plug time).
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion