walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Hill Rage - A cautionary tale

Re: Hill Rage - A cautionary tale

Postby Essan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:01 pm

gavinlyoung wrote:Oh, I almost forgot . The other reason Messrs Angry and Enraged were so angry and enraged was that we might have left a bomb in the sac. Well, a) it would have detonated when they went through the bags, b) I think it unlikely an Islamist, or any other variety of terrorist would bother to penetrate into Martindale and climb a mountain just to kill the odd raven.

:o

I was being entirely flippant when I suggested he might have thought you were terrorists ...... ! He's even more weird than I thought.

Imagine if he'd found a penknife in your rucksack? That would surely have proven without doubt you were a crazed jihadist :lol:

I think Dave needs to resurrect The Angry Corrie for a special issue on this. There's just so much potential in it ..... :D
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Dave Hewitt » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Essan wrote:I think Dave needs to resurrect The Angry Corrie for a special issue on this. There's just so much potential in it ..... :D

It's tempting, right enough - although Warbeck and I would probably end up in jail for sedition or something.

Great story re the DoE thing, mrssanta.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:19 pm

When we went into a branch of Blacks shortly after 7/7 there were no large camping packs to be had. Assume that some manager somewhere had told them to keep them out of sight in case copy-cat jihadists bought more. In Scotland we think that it would be ridiculous to come across a jihadi ruck-sack, but I suppose Daily Mail readers think differently about the Lake District and Wales

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-495455/Al-Qaeda-terrorist-took-Lake-District-training-camp-sentenced-years-prison.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-495455/Al-Qaeda-terrorist-took-Lake-District-training-camp-sentenced-years-prison.html

Though actually, I think I remember hearing about that, and I don't read the Mail. But if Russell's rucksack had been full of dangerous material, he would surely have clung to it so as not to incriminate himself. I keep trying to work out WHY they would have behaved like that, but as nothing much seems reasonable, I just have to draw the conclusion that they were being unreasonable.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Briqual » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Great story and some great responses.

All I can say is that I'd love this to happen to me, I would burst out laughing in their faces before falling over and rolling around for a minute or two then turning it round on them and accusing them of theft of the envelope full of £50 notes is that was in my backpack side pocket: my £3,000 worth of sponsorship money for the 100 mile hike to the children's hospital it was raised for that I was on.

Because I'm that type of guy.
Briqual
Mountaineer

Munros:175   Corbetts:9
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby RocksRock » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:09 pm

"Funniest thread in AGES! :lol: :clap: :lol: :clap:"

'Tis so indeed, but the idiots who caused all the merriment have also given us a new member! Welcome Gavin and Mandy! Happy Walking!
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby JimboJim » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Concur with all supportive comments, Russell and hope you're none the worse for the experience. Just goes to prove all sort of tosser's find their way onto hills :lol: As one occasionally known to leave my rucksack (and other things) here and there, I have paused to wonder, what is best to do. As opposed to some, I tend to leave the rucksack in a very visible spot, in the belief that anyone finding it will realise, this could only be left here by someone intentionally. I think if I found one in a more obscure/hidden spot, I might be more prone to wonder if something was amiss?

I would also, urge others NOT to go down the road of leaving wee note on rucksacks. If this becomes more common practice it will only give the fusspots/"do-gooder's" an excuse to interfere in those rucksacks without a note. It should remain common practice that it is ok to leave rucksacks on hills, without notes, without folk rummaging through them and without being reported to police, or mountain rescue, except if/when a known incident has occurred..... in my opinion :)

I won't say anything about those who leave camera's on rock's, Russell :lol:
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby dav2930 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:28 am

A staggering story. There's no law against leaving your rucksack on a hill (at least not yet, as far as I know, and God help us if there ever is). But by subjecting people to such a tirade of direct and intimidating verbal abuse, these self-appointed hill police have committed an offence under section 4 of the Public Order Act (1986), which carries a maximum sentence of 6 months in prison. No doubt the irony of that will have passed these so-called do-gooders by.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby huwthomas » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:24 am

A pretty appalling story.

I suppose as others have said, if these people had suffered some traumatic event in their past, it could be a mitigation, but still is pretty unjustifiable behaviour.

I guess your response to finding a left rucksack will depend on your experience, and how that informs your analysis of the situation. Experienced walkers, especially 'baggers' would surely recognised that a sack left at a col or the foot of an obvious outlier, has been left there deliberately. Now if the sack was found in the middle of a narrow ridge, that would be of more concern, and I think personally in that situation, I might give MRT a ring.

But to pick up and move a rucksack, in any situation, is surely moronic!

For what it's worth, a few years ago, on an event filled trip on Skye, I lost my rucksack down a crag in Skye (link here for the whole sorry tale viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54193 ). In that situation, I alerted MRT so that if anyone did ring in concerned, they'd have the details on record.
huwthomas
Ambler

Munros:63   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:177
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Sounds like these goons should really meet the crazy farmer of Turin Hill! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby hooter2014 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:58 pm

hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Postby hooter2014 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:02 pm

The bronzed man of Angle Tarn, I'd like to see the couple of w*****s have a go at him for leaving his belongings about as he's stood in front of them in the buff :lol:
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Yesterday at about 4.30pm in Glen Nevis there were two naked men swimming in the river close to the wire bridge and a woman (fully clothed) standing on the middle of the bridge taking photos. :shock: It was hard for me to concentrate when I got on to the bridge. I thought they were Polish but they may have been German as I'm sure it was an abandoned german football shirt next to their other abandoned gear I noticed on the ground.
Imagine if your angry friend had come across that scene, he may have had something to moan about.I have never come across that before and I found it slightly amusing or maybe bemusing. :D I kind of wish I had taken a couple of photos to post to prove it. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Arthurs Eat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:15 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Yesterday at about 4.30pm in Glen Nevis there were two naked men swimming in the river close to the wire bridge and a woman (fully clothed) standing on the middle of the bridge taking photos. :shock: It was hard for me to concentrate when I got on to the bridge. I thought they were Polish but they may have been German as I'm sure it was an abandoned german football shirt next to their other abandoned gear I noticed on the ground.
Imagine if your angry friend had come across that scene, he may have had something to moan about.I have never come across that before and I found it slightly amusing or maybe bemusing. :D I kind of wish I had taken a couple of photos to post to prove it. :D

Evidently the midges could not have been out that particular day :lol:
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby KatTai » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:22 pm

Arthurs Eat wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:Yesterday at about 4.30pm in Glen Nevis there were two naked men swimming in the river close to the wire bridge and a woman (fully clothed) standing on the middle of the bridge taking photos. :shock: It was hard for me to concentrate when I got on to the bridge. I thought they were Polish but they may have been German as I'm sure it was an abandoned german football shirt next to their other abandoned gear I noticed on the ground.

Evidently the midges could not have been out that particular day :lol:

They were, those guys were just midge bait to clear the way for other walkers!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby goth_angel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:04 pm

Interesting thread. The guy you met was clearly a twonk. No other way of describing it - and wtf would a terrorist a) be doing in Martindale and b) leaving a rucksack?

However I'm not sure leaving rucksacks is that common in the Lakes in fact fhe only time I can recall seeing it, was my husband (who is Scottish - I'm English) before a short steep pull. I always hang on to mine as I do worry about it getting nicked or - more likely - forgetting where I left it..
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion